SCCA Solo racing with a Spark?

Not going to happen :cry:

Hi, Greg,

Unfortunately it appears that a stock Chevy Spark would not be allowed to compete in SCCA Solo competition. It’s height is 61” and the average track is 55.6.” With the height being more than the track it is a high rollover risk and we don’t allow it to compete because of that.

Brian Harmer

Rally/Solo Competition Manager

We've all driven a Spark and I bet most of us have chucked it into a corner pretty fast by now, I still feel no tendency to roll over. These cars are made not to roll, they eventually pick up the inside rear tire and the loss of traction causes the back end to slide out which causes the whole car to turn in the desired direction so that a slight correction of less steering input results in the tire coming back down and making it around the corner. But rules are rules so unless they decide to get a Spark and throw it around a parking lot they will never make an exemption for this model.

The other thing to consider is that in Solo (autocross) the Spark is going to be grouped with the "regular" Mini Cooper and the regular Fiat 500 (H stock). Both of these cars have sport suspensions and 40 more horsepower so the Spark is at an immediate disadvantage.

Anyway it would have been cool as I have a fairly active region where I live and another active region a little over an hour away. Maybe if Chevy asks nicely enough and provides a test car we could get an exemption. Or you need to run in one of the modified classes with wider wheels and maybe change the wheel offset, and still drop the ride height by at least an inch to hopefully get down to a "square" car (height equals width) which I think passes their rules.

Local club rules may also be different, but I don't think you'll ever be able to score points since the stock Spark doesn't meet the correct criteria. It would (without question) be a fun car to toss around the course and would probably do reasonable well against some of the other cars entered.

• 1 month later...

Good to know we are not alone with the Fiat 500 models (none on the 2012 list).The Abarth should be a very competitive Solo car, probably the G Stock class since it is a turbo. I'm hoping pressure to change the standards for the modern cars might make the SCCA change the rules a little bit, really need to look at center of gravity more than just height vs. width. It is incredibly difficult to roll any modern cars, even most vans and SUV are incredibly resistant to roll overs.

• 1 year later...

Update for those who care. The Spark is officially classed by SCCA in STF (Street Touring Front wheel drive).

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/14-fastrack-august.pdf

#13904 Chevy Spark Classing Proposal
Per the STAC, add the following new listing to class STF in Appendix A:
Chevrolet
Spark
Note: The Chevrolet Spark may run in STF if it meets the height/track requirements of 3.1. It may need to be
lowered and/or widened in order to accomplish this.
Also note: Per SR 3.1 this car is not eligible for the 2014 Solo National Championships in this class.

I requested this rule change to allow my Spark EV to officially compete nationally, as I've already been competing locally. More details in my build thread:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2014-chevrolet-spark-ev-an-affordable-electric-racecar/80158/page1/

The Spark EV just barely meets the height/track requirements in stock form, but I don't think the gas Spark will in stock form. With a lowering kit, it's well within the requirements. I used a Megan Racing coilover kit to lower mine (with some modifications for the EV differences in the rear suspension).

Bryce

I used to do autocross way back, in a 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE (2.8 V6) I put a couple thousand miles on a rented Spark auto, but was afraid to get to crazy with it, because it did feel at times like it might roll over. Better suspension and tires would have almost certainly helped. But the Spark would not be my choice for autocross, and neither would any other front wheel drive car. I never did like the way they handled. Fine for transportation (until the time comes to work on them) but I don't see them as sports cars.

That's why they have the new front drive classes with different handicap, at least it allows front drive to compete within our own classes. I'm told the Fiesta does exceptionally well (for its power) after suspension upgrade and fitting a rear torsion stiffener. They say it gets to the point of oversteer. Thankfully the much more expensive Fiesta ST is in a different class.

I have, needs better tires for the next step. On really sharp corners it will oversteer just like a go kart, on most others it will under steer causing you to feed in more angle or lift the gas to transfer weight to the front and maybe slide the rear. The rules say it is too high, but I bet the center of gravity spec. allows it to pass.

The good thing about the ST classes is that a lot of modification is allowed. Lowered, different spring rates, anti-roll mechanisms, any DOT tires with wear rating higher than XXX, etc. Add in the front drive portion and cars like the Fiesta and Focus are competitive again. The electric Spark may have advantages over the gas Spark for acceleration, I haven't driven one to find out, so it might be competitive too. The CVT might also do well since the engine is always at a good power point.

• 2 years later...