2016 Spark front end noise

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new 2016 Spark LS CVT and have 500 miles on it now. I noticed that when making turns over bumps (especially right hand turns), I hear a clunk in the front end. I never hear any noises if I hit bumps going straight. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what it may be? Other than that, it has been great!

On 8/9/2016 at 6:30 PM, Rya said:

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new 2016 Spark LS CVT and have 500 miles on it now. I noticed that when making turns over bumps (especially right hand turns), I hear a clunk in the front end. I never hear any noises if I hit bumps going straight. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what it may be? Other than that, it has been great!

Hello, Rya!

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Spark and welcome to the GM family! We're sorry to hear about this clunking you're experiencing, have you made your dealership aware of this yet? If you're interested in taking it in for a diagnosis, please send us a private message and we'd be happy to assist!

Best,

Chelsea D.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Wow, glad to hear I am not going crazy and that others are experiencing the same thing! 

I have not had it in for diagnostics at the dealer yet, but I plan to within the next week (haven't had time)...

I agree with buffyuna that it sounds like something hitting somewhere rather than a normal noise from the front end having a bad component.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to report back that the cause of front end noise in my Spark has been found!  Thanks to my local dealer, they found the drivers side ball joint bolt/nut was slightly loose (most likely came from the factory this way, as my Spark only has a few hundred miles on it).

I hope this helps the other posts that were also hearing this same noise!  It definitely fixed the issue.

• 11 months later...

280px-Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

When turning with power, there will be more wear on the CV joint. As you can see in above animation, the balls ae sliding in the housing depicting a turn. When going straight, there is no such relative motion and therefore much less wear. When worn, they emit clicking sound.

I try to turn at the lowest possible car speed and power to minimize CV joint wear. Consequently I never had issues with CV joints on many front wheel drive cars I have owned and driven. 

The differential allows the the outer drive wheel to rotate faster than the inner drive wheel during a turn. This is necessary when the vehicle turns, making the wheel that is traveling around the outside of the turning curve roll farther and faster than the other. 

220px-Differential_%28Manual_of_Driving_

Edited by Bobby MSME