Aftermarket Cruise Control

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/16/2017 at 3:31 AM, Eric1984 said:

hey erik. would you recommend this aftermarket kit? one mechanic i asked said he has had wiring issues with aftermarket kits. I don't think he really looked into or considered the brand and the fact that you don't need to program it or anything. I saw some reviews of people who bought rostra's kits for other car makes and they complained of acceleration issues. As in their vehicle would drop the set speed suddenly and they had to reset it.

I just had this aftermarket kit installed at a professional place. Love it! Needed for trip from South Carolina to Arizona. No problems. Well worth the money.

Open to advice, asked dealership where I purchased and they recommended and suggested a place where they send their autos for aftermarket installations.

Edited by Bzposey
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2021 Spark LS manual and installed the Rostra cruise control in it. There is one thing that is the different about the 2019 (I believe) and up is that the data connection is made at the BCM, not the OBD port. Its not mentioned anywhere in the instructions but when I could not get my cruise to work, I emailed the seller I bought it from on Ebay and he told me. Once I made the change, it worked like a charm. 

When you pull the fuse panel out of the way, the BCM is right there, the bottom ( white ) plug is the one you pull out, the blue and white twisted pair is the ones you want, the red from the cruise goes to the blue and the black goes to the white. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the info on where to obtain the VSS data for the newer sparks. I was pulling my hair out trying to get mine to work in my 2021. After I removed my connection to the OBD and went to the white and blue wires on the white connector of the BCM, it worked perfectly. Why wouldn't they have a little sheet of paper or an update on the PDF on the Rostra website? Why make me suffer testing all the voltages to each connection for hours without telling us the 2019 and newer are different? 

Anyway, it's a great cruise unit, and easy to install once you get the correct VSS data line. I recommend anyone sitting on the fence to get one. I have now added all the features from the LT to my LS that I wanted. Power door locks, power hatch release, aluminum wheels, and cruise control. Cost me about $600 instead of $2100 for the LT. Liking the Spark so far. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:24 PM, coalminer said:

I have a 2021 Spark LS manual and installed the Rostra cruise control in it. There is one thing that is the different about the 2019 (I believe) and up is that the data connection is made at the BCM, not the OBD port. Its not mentioned anywhere in the instructions but when I could not get my cruise to work, I emailed the seller I bought it from on Ebay and he told me. Once I made the change, it worked like a charm. 

When you pull the fuse panel out of the way, the BCM is right there, the bottom ( white ) plug is the one you pull out, the blue and white twisted pair is the ones you want, the red from the cruise goes to the blue and the black goes to the white. 

Thank you sooo much.  I'm a single mom, thought I wasted $299 on this kit, i went past the return policy date, saw your review, I have the 21 Spark LS model, found the white connector behind the interior fuse box, disconnected it, and used tap connectors instead of soldering them, did a test run, it worked! I'm very happy! Thanks to your review! Next step, drilling a hole for the switch, that's for another day, time for a screwdriver lol

On 7/18/2021 at 11:39 AM, Creepingmee said:

Thank you so much for the info on where to obtain the VSS data for the newer sparks. I was pulling my hair out trying to get mine to work in my 2021. After I removed my connection to the OBD and went to the white and blue wires on the white connector of the BCM, it worked perfectly. Why wouldn't they have a little sheet of paper or an update on the PDF on the Rostra website? Why make me suffer testing all the voltages to each connection for hours without telling us the 2019 and newer are different? 

Anyway, it's a great cruise unit, and easy to install once you get the correct VSS data line. I recommend anyone sitting on the fence to get one. I have now added all the features from the LT to my LS that I wanted. Power door locks, power hatch release, aluminum wheels, and cruise control. Cost me about $600 instead of $2100 for the LT. Liking the Spark so far. 

Do you have advice on how I can have power door locks installed? I have same LS model. I paid for BestBuy to install the door locks, but during installation they said it wasn't something they could do,

something about data vs analog issue and they didn't feel comfortable testing out. I need power door locks for safety concerns. Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, Creepingmee said:

Creepingmee - where did you source your upgrades from; locks, wheels...

• 3 months later...