GammaRadiation

Hatch Pop Button

13 posts in this topic

So the only complaint I have about our cheap-o car is the lack of a trunk pop button. We got a KILLER deal on one with manual locks and windows. However, to open the hatch requires the key. I know it is an electronically actuated lock, but stupid GM didn't put a button anywhere (that I can find). Other cars I've had located it in the center console, next to the gas door lever, or in the glove box. 

Has anyone DIY'd a trunk pop button? 

I think that will be my first modification. 

I never gave it a thought as I have electric locks. 

Yep, I didn't think much of it when we looked at he car because I assumed there would be a button on the interior. With the automatic locks the button on the hatch works when all the other doors are unlocked. With manual locks there is no button on the hatch. I doubt many people will run into this because the vast majority of Sparks have automatic locks. However, once I decide to take apart our new car I will post a DIY. 

Strangely enough the driver's door is automatic and locks when you move it out of park. Real safe if the other 3 doors are unlocked, lol. Of course, the back doors dont count because I have to show everyone where the handle is (part of the reason I love the design of the car, it looks like a 3 door).

Edited by GammaRadiation

2 hours ago, GammaRadiation said:

Yep, I didn't think much of it when we looked at he car because I assumed there would be a button on the interior. With the automatic locks the button on the hatch works when all the other doors are unlocked. With manual locks there is no button on the hatch. I doubt many people will run into this because the vast majority of Sparks have automatic locks. However, once I decide to take apart our new car I will post a DIY. 

Strangely enough the driver's door is automatic and locks when you move it out of park. Real safe if the other 3 doors are unlocked, lol. Of course, the back doors dont count because I have to show everyone where the handle is (part of the reason I love the design of the car, it looks like a 3 door).

Lol, that's messed up. 

I searched for the same solution I went to my local professional alarm installer I purchased a basic viper aftermarket alarm which they can wire into the factory driver door actuator including the hatch door. 

Edited by Erik Gonzalez
Correct word

I have an appointment Monday to have remote locks installed. I will let you all know if the hatch has an electronic motor or if i have to ad it. He said if it is electric it will only be about $100.00 for the driver door and rear hatch, I am not really concerned about passenger door or back since I am usually by my self and I removed the rear seats and made the spark into an ultra micro mini van

Edited by atcspaul
ThatTallLady likes this

My 2014 LT with manual locks has an electric lock for the hatch.  There is an lock/unlock button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.  Note that this only unlocks the hatch so it can be opened by the trunk release - it does not "pop" it open.

I installed power lock actuators to the 4 doors and keyless entry and was able to tie in the existing hatch lock actuator (I just tapped into the lock/unlock switch on the dash).

Edited by SparkDriver

On 11/18/2016 at 10:24 AM, atcspaul said:

I will let you all know if the hatch has an electronic motor or if i have to ad it.

Any news?

On 7/26/2016 at 6:27 AM, GammaRadiation said:

I have to show everyone where the handle is (part of the reason I love the design of the car, it looks like a 3 door).

Yap, had my neighbor completely fooled! She could not believe it is a 4 door car.

I installed a remote power locks kit for all my doors and wired the hatch release as well. I plan on doing a full write up eventually and posting it here. Anyways the wire you're looking for is Yellow w/ Blue Stripe, have the other side of your switch connected to ground and you're all set. I tapped into it under seat/floor trim piece in the back seat LH side. Keep in mind this switch remains active while driving!

20170502_183846.jpg

I feel quite dumb. I thought the trunck unlock button was the door unlock button until it clicked in my head the doors are manual. Man, I was one sad, sad cookie!

on my 2019  ls i found the wires going to the actual physical lock in the door. I wired in the wires to go to the front driver's side door. It took a while to figure out how to run the wiring down the upper part of the hatch door, through the rubber tubing and back into the car on the driver's side. Then connected wires to a momentary switch. Looking to later have the car door locks and viper system installed. I got a quote of 499 dollars locally in central Florida. Tinting later for about $149, also ebay has a really cool storm trooper rear window decal I want the tinter to install as well.

Does anyone know where the actual central door lock brain is?