Well my 2016 base LS has the most annoying ugly key ever.  EVERY time I start my car I feel like a little kid putting a toy key into a power wheel.  I know it's petty but it bugs me.  The sales guy told me it was not a transponder key.  Well he's wrong.  I wrapped the end of the key in tinfoil and the car will not start.  Remove the foil and it starts right up.  Just thought I would pass on the information for anyone else.

Now I need to see if a normal looking key can be programmed.  I wonder if a keyless entry system could be tied into the drivers door.  It's weird to me that it's a power door lock I can control through on star; but they didn't use that for a single power  door keyless entry.

LOL I was just talking with my works 3D printer guy about some stuff, but not about the key.  Its the size and shape more than anything else.  Its even slightly larger than the "flip" keys for my Equinox.  And that remote has lock, unlock, remote start, panic and trunk buttons.  I think its just my OCD kicking in.  If that is my only complaint 700 miles in, then I am doing good. 

At least I am honest enough to know I'm being petty. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a base '16 with the CVT. I have been getting in the habit of shifting it in L and turning the TC off.  It reduces hesitation, to the floor it just sits at 5-6000 and is the fastest way to 45 (on pace with the rest of traffic). I then shift it into D and let it sip at 60mpg instantaneous.

Anyway,  I also hate the key. I have tried to pry it apart gently but have thusfar been unsuccessful. I also want to add an interior trunk pop tied in to auxillary switched power.

Edited by GammaRadiation
  • 4 weeks later...

16 Spark Ls owner

I leave TC off every time I drive

I actually had the original key opened with jewelry tools I have a friend who is a jewelery maker got the transponder out to put into a blank amazon Chevy switch blade key fob got it laser cut works perfect then installed a viper alarm to operate the door and hatch works perfect. 

Edited by Erik Gonzalez
Correct/add words