I'd really like to redo the exhaust on my Spark from the header all the way back. I have someone who can do a nice 2" tubular exhaust manifold, then maybe a high flow cat or two(to keep the same as stock) and finish it with a deep sounding muffler.

What would anyone recommend for brands?

Most my driving is at 65mp highway, so I'd like to stay close to stock noise levels.

Im also getting tuned soon from BNR, I'll be the first Spark he's done. Jerry is an amazing tuner from what everyone says with a Gamma 2 based vehicle and more.

Excuse any of my misinterpretations with gasser exhaust, I'm coming from the VW TDI world where is easy...we just chop everything off haha.

Thanks guys,

Adam

yup what ray said.. and i know from experience.. if you want to keep the same sound levels not sure why you're adding an exhaust?? just keep it how it is. these small engines basically work opposite of everything you've ever done to improve power.. too much air for the intake =slower, too much free flowing exhaust =slower.. I put a flowmaster on mine after getting in an accident to make it louder and more noticeable. it made it slower, i did a resonator delete and it made it even slower but sounds bad ass especially for a tiny car.. at highway speeds you're ok but getting up there is killer. it does need the back pressure. I stuck a 2" to 1.5" pipe reducer in the exhaust outlet and it got back a ton of the off the line acceleration if not the fastest it ever was, but you could tell it was restricting at high speeds. switched to a 2" to 1.75" and get the best of both world but neither top good middle ground. if you want the same sound volume don't touch it. major lack of sound deadening material in the car so it gets up there in volume real quick. keep up informed how the tune goes. itll void the warranty but interested to know if its worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 5:29 PM, Skids said:

yup what ray said.. and i know from experience.. if you want to keep the same sound levels not sure why you're adding an exhaust?? just keep it how it is. these small engines basically work opposite of everything you've ever done to improve power.. too much air for the intake =slower, too much free flowing exhaust =slower.. I put a flowmaster on mine after getting in an accident to make it louder and more noticeable. it made it slower, i did a resonator delete and it made it even slower but sounds bad ass especially for a tiny car.. at highway speeds you're ok but getting up there is killer. it does need the back pressure. I stuck a 2" to 1.5" pipe reducer in the exhaust outlet and it got back a ton of the off the line acceleration if not the fastest it ever was, but you could tell it was restricting at high speeds. switched to a 2" to 1.75" and get the best of both world but neither top good middle ground. if you want the same sound volume don't touch it. major lack of sound deadening material in the car so it gets up there in volume real quick. keep up informed how the tune goes. itll void the warranty but interested to know if its worth it.

The tune is worth it. Haven't dyno'ed Sparky yet but the power increase is noticeable. I ordered an AEM intake that ill do some custom piping for so more fresh air is being routed right to the filter. I also decided on deleting the second muffler and adding a FM DBX Series muffler. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 6:41 PM, ANewSpark said:

Interesting. I think the tune will help straighten out the loss of power with exhaust mods. I have a friend how is straight piped from the first cat back, has a small tune making ~107hp. BNR told him there's room for more.

please have your friend upload some dyno runs stock vs BNR.  Also if you could list there contact info that would be great.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, but I would agree that reduction of back pressure makes the Spark slower. After a collision I had to get a new exhaust, so I went with one by Magnaflow. And exactly as Skid said, it made the vehicle slower and less responsive to acceleration pedal movement. So, with ordering a new exhaust and a bunch of other hardware like clamps and stuff ( https://www.carid.com/exhaust-clamps/), I wouldn't say that I got anything apart of nice sound. But anyways an aftermarket exhaust is less expensive and sounds better than an OE one.

Edited by ChevyMan
adding details on the exhaust replacement I recently did
On 11/21/2016 at 3:08 PM, SpaceCowboy said:

please have your friend upload some dyno runs stock vs BNR.  Also if you could list there contact info that would be great.

Ill see what I can get from him. 

On 1/5/2017 at 3:56 AM, ChevyMan said:

Sadly, but I would agree that reduction of back pressure makes the Spark slower. After a collision I had to get a new exhaust, so I went with one by Magnaflow. And exactly as Skid said, it made the vehicle slower and less responsive to acceleration pedal movement. So, with ordering a new exhaust and a bunch of other hardware like clamps and stuff, I wouldn't say that I got anything apart of nice sound. But anyways an aftermarket exhaust is less expensive and sounds better than an OE one.

Yah but did you tune your Spark to make up for the changes in the exhaust?

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Incredible spark said:

All I did to my exhaust, chop off the resonator weld up a straight pipe,  can barely hear it inside the cab, but sounds good when you Rev it or when I down shift.  In my opinion it sounds a little bit quieter then a stock fiat arbath

Hmmm interesting. I do love how the arbath sounds. 

16 hours ago, Incredible spark said:

They do sound good. but like I said it's not as loud as the fiat. I have a DC sports CAI and the res delete. it sounds good to me I hear the CAI more than the exhaust.

I think im going to end up doing a 2" exhaust manifold and custom 2" exhaust the rest of the way back with 2 mufflers.