Spark 2015 obdc p0597 code

Today, I got a check engine light. Got an email notice thru onstar that says 06/30/2016 5:13AM The thermostat heater control circuit is not functioning. Diagnostics with torque pro gives P0597 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit Open. Taking it to dealer tomorrow. Just putting this out there to see if anyone has had this. 14000 miles, 2015 ls cvt. I've seen it in the sonic and cruise forums, but not here.

• 9 months later...

The original poster may or may not see this, but...

My check engine light came on during the winter, at about 35,000 miles. My first instinct is always to chalk it up to bad fuel, so I went to a newly built gas station (fresh, sediment-free tanks, you see) and filled it up with a tank of premium along with a bottle of Techron fuel system treatment for good measure. The light quickly went out, I considered myself a mechanical genius, and went on my way.

Fast forward a few months later. Just a week ago, the engine light came on again, this time with a fresh tank of fuel from a "known good" station. This time, with my genius status in doubt, I took the car to a parts store and had them run the scan tool. Surprisingly, he got the aforementioned P0597 (thermostat open) code. Then, once I started the car to leave the parts store, the light went off again and did not return.

And here we are today, with the light having come on again. Now, I've done some research online, and several other Chevrolet forums advise that replacing the thermostat tends to solve this problem. But, like you said, that's for the Sonic and Cruze - which, though related to our vehicle in some design features, do not share anything like the same powertrain. I'm willing to bet that it's a similar fix, though.

I too will be taking my car to the dealer sometime soon, if I don't find different or better research online to prove that a quicker fix exists.

I'll keep you all posted...

$32, dirt cheap and easy to change, I got my 2013 with same code and usually its P0599 but I just erase it and go on with my life, with scanner on all day I check temp and stays 107, Tstat opens at 105  so not that big deal. These are disposable cars, Im using it till it brakes apart. 

Good news is, with summer approaching, heater not an urgent problem. If the error generated is

intermittent, sounds like a lose connection, but could also mean a marginal & failing thermostat.

I read your story about using good fuel with interest. I had exactly the same experience with my 

Pontiac G5 2007. Besides using Mobil higher octane fuel, I poured in a can of something which said it will clean the valves. Sure enough, the engine check light went away after a few miles of driving. But then light came back on again with error code which points to misfire in cylinder #1. I had the dealer check the car and they confirmed low compression in cyl #1. This G5 never had a single problem before, but it was 9+ years old, and needed new battery, tires, probably a brake job, may be serpentine belt. All those items were original. So I bit the bullet and traded it in for the 2017 Spark LS.

23 minutes ago, mitogt said:

$32, dirt cheap and easy to change, I got my 2013 with same code and usually its P0599 but I just erase it and go on with my life, with scanner on all day I check temp and stays 107, Tstat opens at 105  so not that big deal. These are disposable cars, Im using it till it brakes apart. 

What type of scanner you have which checks coolant temp? Since there is no temp reading available on my 2017 Spark, it would help.

2 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

I'm guessing Bluetooth obdII scanner + torque app

Yup. I have a cheap $13 cdn obd2 adapter with my old cellphone on a mount with torque pro. it gives engine coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, battery voltage, and a whole host of other readings. One thing though. if the adapter is left plugged in, then the monthly diagnostic reports, onstar diagnostic services, and some other services won't work. the onstar system is designed to disengage so to speak when an obd2 scanner is plugged in to the port. I don't know the validity of this, but I just unplug the scanner when I'm done driving.

1 hour ago, Mitchell McBeath said:

Yup. I have a cheap $13 cdn obd2 adapter with my old cellphone on a mount with torque pro. it gives engine coolant temp, transmission fluid temp, battery voltage, and a whole host of other readings. One thing though. if the adapter is left plugged in, then the monthly diagnostic reports, onstar diagnostic services, and some other services won't work. the onstar system is designed to disengage so to speak when an obd2 scanner is plugged in to the port. I don't know the validity of this, but I just unplug the scanner when I'm done driving.

Very interesting Mitchell McBeath and Mr.tozzi! Thanks very much for responses.

I love to know everything going on with the car while driving. So, this will be great.

So...I have this CAN OBDII/EOBDII Memo Scanner.

Is that the right kind? Or, should I buy something else?

And I do have a android phone..so I should download the "torque pro" app from google store?

How exactly the android phone syncs with the OBD scanner? There are no ports on my scanner.

Appreciate clearing this up for me.

OK..the scanner I already have is not bluetooth compatible. But it has it's own display window, so does not need a phone to read error codes.

So, I ordered a bluetooth compatible simple scanner, has no display screen, but can be synced with android phone, was only 6 bux on eBay. Also downloaded "torque" free app to my phone. If that is insufficient, I will upgrade it to "torque pro" for $4.95. Mainly I want to be able to see coolant temp, transmission oil temp, alternator & battery status, and if possible, engine oil level & coolant level without opening the hood.

Edited by Bobby MSME
!!

yeah its an OBII scaner plug in with wifi, android phone app, OBD Doctor, what ive learned is these cars have a 105 temp stamped on, but the ECT controlls the TSTAT to open before and controls the car temperature and in case that fails the TSTAT will open at 105, car should run around the day in the 95  to 96 range, fans shut off below 94 so it must mean its cool enough.

• to much electronics makes it more prone to fail, just my 2 cents.

well I will order the Tstat, if I buy it here in my country it will cost $150, no thanks, will order it amazon, by the way I took off the internal parts of the Tstat, gutted, now engine temp stays around 80 to 90 degrees celsius barely makes it to 96 and then down when fan kicks in. will leave like that for a while but will consider putting it back. Car stays cooler, gas milage is about the same, havent measured it.

• 4 months later...
On 9/26/2017 at 11:52 PM, uberousjuju said:

The P0599 code showed up today on my 2015 spark. Anyone make headway on this? 

That code refers to the engine thermostat or heater thermostat..check to see if the heater works, if so it is the engine thermostat..have that fixed..could lead to overheating or not hot enough to burn fuel completely and eventually gum up the valve, engine sludge and then the Catalytic Converter overheats due to deposits if left long enough.

• 1 year later...
On 27/4/2017 at 6:12 PM, mitogt said:

well I will order the Tstat, if I buy it here in my country it will cost $150, no thanks, will order it amazon, by the way I took off the internal parts of the Tstat, gutted, now engine temp stays around 80 to 90 degrees celsius barely makes it to 96 and then down when fan kicks in. will leave like that for a while but will consider putting it back. Car stays cooler, gas milage is about the same, havent measured it.

in Italy the original thermostat has a cost of around 150 dollars, 
the compatible replacement costs 50 dollars but they are the same 
spare parts that sell in china for 15 dollars.
I solved the code p0599 with a 470 ohm resistor
sorry for english but i used google translator
Edited by woba
  • 6 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, sunshinesuppaman said:

MIdas gave me $350 quote to replace thermostat housing .   With 36,000 Miles that seems to me to be covered by Warrenty as I'm within 5 years.  Dealrers want $75 to diagnose, so I think Chevy ought to just tell me that's its them and do for $0

Actually you don't have it quite right. The bumper to bumper is three years 36,000 miles. It would be covered under that but you are past the three years. The five year, 60,000 or 100,000 (can't remember which it is as it changed somewhere in there) covers internal engine issues. Usually, or it used to be, that would be anything that is internally lubricated which the thermostat is not. The $350 quote sounds high and I am not sure I would trust Midas to do this kind of job anyway. I would check with a independent shop. The part is expensive as its all electronic and integrated with the thermostat and not like the old days of just being a housing.