Should I buy a 2016 Spark or wait for the 2017 model?

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Spark forum and have a few questions that experienced owners can answer. I am going to buy a Spark but not sure if I should pick up a 2016 available now (2LT) or wait for the 2017 model? Will the 2017 2LT have the same engine as the 2016? Any promised improvements in the 2017 that you have been hoping for?

Thank you, Deb

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2016 at 2:15 PM, DAR151 said:

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Spark forum and have a few questions that experienced owners can answer. I am going to buy a Spark but not sure if I should pick up a 2016 available now (2LT) or wait for the 2017 model? Will the 2017 2LT have the same engine as the 2016? Any promised improvements in the 2017 that you have been hoping for?

Thank you, Deb

why wait? The 2016 absolutely fantastic, 100km/hr gets your 51mpg, and 95 km/hr gets you about 62mpg, which is 3.6litre/100km.  The city is a lot less, can't seem to do better than 36, even if i drive like a turtle.

android auto is fantastic(but you have to take the password off your phone or you will have issues) the noise inside the cabin is only 68DB @ 100km/hr, its a joy

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aside from the Activ version that was launched mid-model year, the 2016 is almost a complete carry-over from the 2016. The only changes from the 2016 to the 2017 Spark are the paint colors, lower EPA mileage due to new "more realistic" method of calculating the values. Also, they deleted the "LS" badge from the hatch of the base version.

Buy the cheapest price between 2016 & 2017. I agree with Jonboy, nothing much seems to have changed.  Dealer will be anxious to unload the 2016 and you can get a much better deal.

But here is the caveat...if you plan to trade in after a short time, such as 2 or 3 years, then you will get less for the older model, thus negating much of the price advantage. If you plan to keep the car for 7+ years, then 2016 is a better value for the money.