Issues with the 2016 manual Spark

So I'm interested in getting the Chevy Spark but I keep hearing about how the older generations were troublesome and not worth it. My last car was a honda fit so I know I've been a little spoiled as far as car reliability goes, but is the 2016 just as messed up as the previous generations? I plan on getting the manual so I don't have to worry about the faulty CVT system but how is the a/c?

The few issues that were annoying with the 2013-2015 models, were addressed, and through a series of recalls, were rectified by GM. Outside of some occasional assorted problems that may popup, such as with any make or model of car, including Honda, the first generation of Sparks are solid. As far as the 2016 generation of Sparks, it is still to soon to tell, as there are not many on the road, or on this forum, up to this point. As more 2016 owners join the forum, then we will be able to make a better determination, using their input. As far as the a/c, it is presently good, on all gens.

Thanks y'all, I guess I'll bite the bullet and see what happens

Just keep in the back of your mind that you have a good bumper to bumper and excellent 5yr/100Kmi powertrain warranty..that covers your piece of mind and any issues that are general across the model will be fixed free under a recall..I like the manual 2016...looks like the 1.4l all aluminum engine has gotten some good reviews and other than all aluminum the technology of the engine is proven with many other vehicles that share the VVT and other stuff..so that should pretty well cover you from any issues..plus a more rigid body for great handling..only the CVT I have concerns about long term reliability..Pls share you impressions after you get the car..K?

Just keep in the back of your mind that you have a good bumper to bumper and excellent 5yr/100Kmi powertrain warranty..that covers your piece of mind and any issues that are general across the model will be fixed free under a recall.

ROG, just as a heads up, for 2016, the warranty has been downgraded to 5yr/60K powertrain, on most new GM vehicles.

ROG, just as a heads up, for 2016, the warranty has been downgraded to 5yr/60K powertrain, on most new GM vehicles.

That's a bit disappointing...Most ppl will do around that kinda mileage in 5yrs on a city car, but I did find the 5yr/100Kmi a good buy incentive for me. My Rover has a 4yr/80Kmi..but it is bumper to bumper...I really had to think a bit on the purchase and get my mechanics opinion before buying an expensive vehicle I plan to keep, well, at my age..for ever. The big V8 has a 'supercharger' that concerned me as I usually like a naturally aspired engine..but, if I wanted that kinda power I needed to get that. I got extended warranty on the 'supercharger' though, since that is the $$$ weak point on the unit..it's a proven powerplant..but still..

Had my Manual LS Spark Canadian model for a month and done 4400km (2700mi) No issues at all the manual is great, clutch is easy and forgiving, car doesn't have tons of power obviously but loves to rev high, and feels fast with the manual. Much prefer it over the CVT I had test drove. AC I'm not sure as my car doesn't have it :)

Powertrain warranty is still 5/100k mi (160,000km) here in Canada so guess we are lucky on that.

Oops..ya you really want to keep a good credit rating..specially at an early age since it sticks around for a while and bites you in the ass when you least expect it. Make those payments and never be late..same with the CC cards. Once your credit rating is restored to at least a +7-8 try and stay debt free and you will find it costs you far less to live. Apply for a line of credit..unsecured and you can take advantage of very low rates when you need to. I always pay cash for a car or any purchase when possible (i'm older and retired with investments and several pensions..so easy for me to say that..but it was not always like that) and pretty soon you will find your bank falling all over itself trying to offer you credit of all kinds that you can use in the future when you don't have the cash...so I think you were wise to get what you could afford...Take care of it and you have a car for 10yrs+ and the best car is one that is fully paid for..Right? Now if I could only get my wife to pay cash or pay of her CC card each month we could always be deb't free...'Nuff said..

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just test drove a new 2016 and 'missed' gear twice shifting into third. Has anyone else noticed sticky or difficult shifting?

This will be our second Spark. The "old" 2013 had a similar issue in reverse; it would pop out of gear sometimes, making a rattly noise as the gear teeth zipped along each other, just out of mesh. I found that double-shifting solved the problem (release clutch in neutral first, then press clutch and shift to reverse before engaging).

(Sadly, an 18-wheeler plowed into our 2013 on the interstate, but thanks to the high strength steel, we suffered no injuries and luckily the truck didn't end up on top of us... I'll tell the whole story in another post)

Hi all,

I just test drove a new 2016 and 'missed' gear twice shifting into third. Has anyone else noticed sticky or difficult shifting?

This will be our second Spark. The "old" 2013 had a similar issue in reverse; it would pop out of gear sometimes, making a rattly noise as the gear teeth zipped along each other, just out of mesh. I found that double-shifting solved the problem (release clutch in neutral first, then press clutch and shift to reverse before engaging).

(Sadly, an 18-wheeler plowed into our 2013 on the interstate, but thanks to the high strength steel, we suffered no injuries and luckily the truck didn't end up on top of us... I'll tell the whole story in another post)

Shifting has been really smooth for me. The only thing I notice is that 1st gear doesn't require any gas at all. I'm not used to it so I end having delayed but fast starts sometimes since I'm pushing the gas and letting up on the clutch slowly when I really should be letting go almost instantly.

• 2 weeks later...

The all aluminum engine with timing chain is what closed the deal for me...well that I got it for <$11K tax, tag, title included!

The GM SGE has been proving itself. My only worries are the CVT transmission and the touch screen system. By the time mine will near the end of its warranty others will have put 100,000 miles plus on one so I will know if I should sell or keep it.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2016 LS with a manual trans and steel wheels. I have an hour commute each way to work and wanted something easy on gas. So far I have averaged over 43mpg using the ac and some 80-90mph runs on the interstates. Just as buffyuna has said, you can leave the clutch out and the car will move with no gas. The shifting is a bit notchey but no more than the 1980's shitboxes with manuals. I found out trying to pass somebody on a hill that the VVT kicks in at 4000rpm and has some decent pickup in 2nd or 3rd gear. Happy with the car after 1300 miles.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I have a 3 month old spark and it's currently at the dealer. I noticed hesitation shifting into 3rd, and lack of tactile feedback sometimes.  I was shifting from first to second at 3000 rpm, and it got stuck in second. Luckily it was second so I got it to the dealer (1 mile away)  .  He forced it out of gear (lots of force). Took it on a ride around the parking lot. And told me he notices the symptoms. I will get back to you all with what went wrong. I hope this isn't a reoccurring issue for me, as I'm on a 5 year plan. 

Now that's an excellent use of a Spark! I agree that the GM manual tranny's are pretty rugged and a Spark taxi will pay for itself pretty quickly and excellent size for the Monterrey traffic and parking on the narrow one-way streets there..handles well in traffic and 3 paying passengers at once can make that into a real moneymaker since the price in Mex. is around $9,000 US...Good luck with your business "Greensparky"!