Hey Guys,

I have a 2013 Chevy Spark, manual transmission around 50000 miles. Lately I've noticed that RPM's have been going well over 4k with very little pressure on the gas at times. There are times where I can't go over 60 MPH and stay under 4k RPMS. In the past I could go 70 MPH and be right at 3k. I've also noticed that it keeps telling me to shift even if it is already in 5th gear and I'm going 60 MPH. My miles per gallon is also telling me I'm doing like 60 Miles per gallon when in reality its probably low 30's. In addition I'm going through gas like never before. Just wondering if anyone has an idea whats going on?

I used to test older cars with a mechanical clutch (not hydraulic) to see if clutch was "shot" by putting in high gear (4th or 5th) and letting out slowly on clutch pedal from a dead stop. If it stalled, clutch was still good. If it didn't, clutch needed adjustment. If no more adjustment was left, it was time for a clutch.

I used to test older cars with a mechanical clutch (not hydraulic) to see if clutch was "shot" by putting in high gear (4th or 5th) and letting out slowly on clutch pedal from a dead stop. If it stalled, clutch was still good. If it didn't, clutch needed adjustment. If no more adjustment was left, it was time for a clutch.

Ya..that's pretty well the standard test...but either way he should have this looked at ASAP because first off if he is in 5th and can't get past 60 its slipping fairly bad and by taking it in he may be able to salvage the clutch by having it adjusted if this is not a long term issue...clutches ain't as cheap to replace as they used to be.. If the shift indicator is telling him to shift while in 5th at 60mph it's slipping fairly bad and won't last long like that.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

You are all very correct. I was going to make an appointment at the dealer today and the clutch died this morning before I could. They say it will cost 1800 to replace it. 11 hours at 125 an hour plus parts. I still owe 6k on the car. They offered me 2500 for trade it. Any ideas?

One other question. I called a different Chevy dealer when I got out of work just to see if my price quote was accurate. The other dealer quoted me 1215 dollars. This was with labor, a new clutch, and flywheel. Is it possible for one dealer to charge so much more than another?

call they place back that offered you $2500 for trade and tell the to go funk themselves! lol and yes. dealerships set their own prices so they can do whatever they like really. If it's not a warranty thing always go else where dealerships charge waaaay too much! I was like wouldnt this under warranty but the clutch is a wear item..

Just an update. I called around and found someone that would do it for 1110. So I called Chevy to tell them I was going to have the car towed down the street. Five minutes later they called back and said they spoke with the manager and would do it for 1395. I said no its still to much and the place down the street offered 1110. They asked who it was, I told them and they said ok we will match it. From $1800 to $1100.