I took my LT1 in to the dealership today to get my first oil change and the service manager walks into the waiting room and says we have a problem with ou Spark. I am like its brand new what could be wrong with it? He tells me that they do not have an oil filter in stock and can not find one at any of the local stores, then he says that they already removed the old filter and does not feel comfortable in just putting it back in as it may leak. Tells me it could be up to 3 days before they can get one because of the weekend. They offer me a car to use while I wait, it's a 2008 HHR I would have rather had a brand new Camaro they had on the lot but its ok. They ended up calling me later today to tell me they found one about an hour away and the car would be ready Saturday. So if you take your Spark somewhere to get the oil changed make sure they have a filter before they start.

If you've read some of my other posts, you'll understand why I'm not surprised. Autozone lists the car, and they have one part... the rear wiper blade. Guess I better have my dealer order a filter for me because I think by the end of next week I'm going to want to get the oil out of it and switch to full synthetic, should be broken in enough by 1500 miles.

In the USA they have to label the ACDelco oil as a blend, but other countries allow it to be labled as full synthetic. My thoughts are just to wash out the manufacturing crud that is always present, there should be a small amount of metal shavings from the cylinders wearing in that need to be removed.

I took my LT1 in to the dealership today to get my first oil change and the service manager walks into the waiting room and says we have a problem with ou Spark. I am like its brand new what could be wrong with it? He tells me that they do not have an oil filter in stock and can not find one at any of the local stores, then he says that they already removed the old filter and does not feel comfortable in just putting it back in as it may leak. Tells me it could be up to 3 days before they can get one because of the weekend. They offer me a car to use while I wait, it's a 2008 HHR I would have rather had a brand new Camaro they had on the lot but its ok. They ended up calling me later today to tell me they found one about an hour away and the car would be ready Saturday. So if you take your Spark somewhere to get the oil changed make sure they have a filter before they start.

Good note on making sure the oil filter was in stock before removing the old one. Now, about that Camaro :shift:

Had fun tonight trying to get out the oil filter. Has anyone else had similar issues? What tool did you use?

How long did it take to change the filter?

• 1 month later...

don't know how Mexico does it, but in the USA the Sparks are factory filled with Semi-Synthetic 5-20 and CANNOT be filled with ANYTHING OTHER THAN 5-20. If Dexos-1 certified oil is not available, any 5-20 with the API starburst will be acceptable. If you put synthetic in it, you're exceeding Dexos1 standards anyway, so Mobil1 5-20 will be just great. Dexos2 in the US is for diesel specs, and do never ever ever fill it with anything other than 5-20 if you're in the US.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've ordered 4 of them from RockAuto for 5.43 a piece. but 9 bucks shipping :(, so around 8 bucks a piece.

They are in ACDELCO boxes, but the inside boxes are full on GM OEM oil filters and TINY!

Combined with 25 dollars for 5 quarts of Mobile 1 at Walmart, once full change is around 33 bucks.

I got one today at my local Chevy dealer for 8 bucks. Not bad really considering it was from the dealer. I bought Quaker State 5w-20 full synthetic oil. It had the dextros approval on it. I use castrol in my truck but it isn't dextros approved.

I haven't changed the oil yet, it's still sitting in my garage. Does everyone else use full synthetic oil? Was this a good choice?

• 2 weeks later...

While on this topic, check out the one I posted in the maintenance topic. Yes, I also diy maintenance, but my first is free at the dealer, and for good reason. The oil filters are always on way too tight at the factory, because no oil was used on the seals, and a machine tightened it on there. I used M1 for years, it's good stuff. Google bobistheoilguy.com, good info. Btw : does the oil drain plug use a crush washer, or a rubber seal?

Edited by austex04