Yup..I bought the Hi-Flo replacement for the original Spark filter and thought at first it made a difference...if it did it was really minimal..rather just replace the stock filter with a OEM fresh one a bit early as the K&N are a bit pricey and honestly don't make enough of a difference to justify the cost.

I have one.. put them in all my cars.. just the way I am. didn't hurt anything basically did it right off the bat trying to make it faster. and right now shes pretty quick for me, you'll probably get better mpg with a stock one but only by a bit and get better acceleration with the k and n but again only by a bit. when I bought it and it's been so long plus adding exhaust I wouldn't even be able to test now which one makes a difference since other parts have changed. I'm guessing you want to go faster? free fix to add a little pep off the line remove the tube to the air filter resonator box, takes 30 seconds and it's free. (search for the thread on how to, you can basically just pull it out by pushing the resonator and filter box to the side, don't need to unscrew everything, and wiggle it out) it will make the engine much louder though a lot of people have complained it's too loud not worth it. I like the louder makes it funner vroom vroom lol.. but having the K and N It saves me a trip to the auto parts store (Which looking right now for one online there isn't a lot of cheap paper normal filters and they're all between $10-$20 average $15 a pop.. 3 replacements and the k an n has paid for itself ) having to buy new ones and that's if they're in stock even, that alone makes it worth the $40 to me.

id think any upgrade is a plus, this car isnt meant to be fast but if you can spend $45 and never have to replace the filter again and get 1-2hp out of it, why not. this motor is only like 84 hp so 1-2hp is like picking up 5-8 hp in a 250hp motor. i dont think any car picks up huge gains from just a filter. they may claim it does but rarely ever do when on a dyno.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered one off eBay for $44 and waiting for it to arrive. I already have the resonator disconnected from the air box and have about (5) 2" holes I drilled with a hole saw in the bottom of the air box near the fender. I'm hoping the butt-dyno feels some sort of improvement out of this slug...Haahaahaa

Only way to get significantly more power from this engine is to replace the stock head gasket with a stainless thinner one..not a DIY and get the mechanic to figure out how much thinner you can go...I've seen it done on a Spark engine by the shop I go to..engine was from a damaged Spark salvaged and to be sold or used for another purpose. It ended up with a about ±12:1 compression 172psi at TDC (152psi stock), but the down side was it needed high octane (premium-93-94) to keep the knock sensor from retarding the timing because the higher compression caused knocking, pre-ignition with regular gas..ran fine on premium with normal timing. Not dyno tested yet but they figure an xtra 15-20hp and a bit more torque. No other mods were done...just the thinner head gasket, stainless head bolts and higher head bolt torque..bench run continuous at 5K rpm for 6 hrs and no issues. Not too expensive and the only way to a get significant boost in power. Will I do this? Nope. If I want more power, I will and have bought a more powerful car. Only reason we have the Spark is because it is small and cheap...a perfect second car for a tight city drive....'Nuff said...

I noticed gas mileage dropped with my k&n filter. Probably because i was giving it more throttle lol. I left the stock one in a currently getting 41 with stock and 39-40 with the k&n.

K&N is less resistant to incoming air drawn in by cylinders, so...a bit more fuel set by the MAS due to very slight less resistance at acceleration & quicker air speed change past MAS..you are only using a tiny bit more gas than stock every time you boot it because the air speed change from intake to MAS is slightly quicker...kinda hard to explain but total normal and will not change performance to any noticeable degree. I have a K&N 'Hi-Flo' replacement filter..just the filter to replace the stock..and it breathes somewhat easier under certain conditions... very slight more responsive when booting to a lower gear (4Sp-Auto tranny) at high RPMs due to the sudden increase in airflow demand when booting it...and only bought it because I couldn't find a stock filter at the time..all these little mods are safe and really don't show any noticeable change in performance..OK..'Nuff said about that...

Sound like someone stole your car and shipped it overseas...so no need to worry about the filter.....OK, Yes it does need oil, but not really all that important as the oil only acts to attract and hold in place dust and other particles. The weave is fine enough to trap sand and dust and after the first application of the supplied oil, it pretty well is good to go for a long time. Just check if it is a bit tacky to the touch. If you don't have the correct oil...some tire shine spray will do the trick. NOT WD-40..dissolves the filter.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 2 months later...

I just recently bought my 13 spark 2lt and removed the resonator out of the drivers side fender well and left just the tube and have found that the car is more responsive. i found it easier to get onto the highway too. I know alot of people are going to say its the placebo affect but I def feel the difference. It didn't seem to get louder either. Now I'm going to put in a K&N filter and see if that helps any. I need a new filter anyways.

• 3 months later...

well I traded in my spark and took the k and n air filter out (they aint giving me more money for it) and put the stock like new one back in. I do have exhaust so this might not be typical but.. it ran smoother, way quieter which was weird, and was quicker off the line and saw a huge jump in mpg. only drove it for a day and raced it everywhere using as much gas as could cause screw them i'm not giving them my 20 bucks worth of gas too lol.. but I gotta take it back.. stay stock not worth the investment .. again theres after market exhaust but from what I experienced witht the exhaust it made it slower too just sounded louder and made it funner to drive for me any way.

#staystock side note selling my K and n filter if anyone is interested lol

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the facts from independent parties.

Rarely do K&N filters alone increase hosepower and they almost never increase torque except for the slight bit at the very top end that gives the HP bump. A quality OEM equivalent paper filter generally has a higher filtering efficiency, doesnt coat the MAF with oil, and flows more than the engine requires. This is a generalized statement. Some cars may be slightly restricted by the filter from the factory but they are rare and even small horsepower claims are marketing ploys. Trust the teams of engineers charged with maximizing MPG and HP over spike TV commercials.

The advantage of the K&N is only the lack of replacement cost. I run one on my turbo diesel but it flows A TON more air and doesnt have MAF. Had it not had one when I got it I wouldnt have bought one.

Edited by GammaRadiation