So I've been looking at Dexos1 approved oils and have found almost nothing that is the same viscosities and Dexos1 approved. the manual calls for 5w20 and most of the synthetic Dexos1 approved oils are 5w30 which is much thicker when warm and would very likely decrease fuel mileage. the only thing I've found so far is a Valvoline 5w20 "synthetic" that carries the Dexos1 logo. I've not found a single "natural" oil that carries the logo.

So what are people using for synthetic oils in their cars? I've still got several weeks before the first early change so I have some time to investigate.

I expect the ACDelco may be part recycled oil since it is a blended oil, but not certain. I'll probably go with Mobile 1 for the extra safety it provides. I checked AMSoil and they are not playing the dexos game.

Not sure why Chevy dealers are charging $80 for a Mobile 1 change, they get it in great big 55 gallon drums at much less than the $7 per quart that it costs in Walmart.

There was a so called green oil that was supposed to be fully synthetic, but it did not have the dexos logo, either the bottles were old or they didn't pay their Chevy tax.

Edited by Greg_E

I know the manual specifies either 5w-20 or 0w-30 I was curious to know if anyone is opting to use 0w-30, I have honestly never heard of this 0 weight oil before buying this car but I am thinking this was the factory filled oil. also would it be advisable to use the lower weight oil in Chicago during the winter?

Not too many years ago 5 weight oils were not used in engines, they were for very light lubrication tasks and used in motorcycle forks as a damping agent (even then 10 weight was more popular).

Factory fill should be the ACDelco blend which is 5w20, 5 weight should be fine in the cold. The big issue seems to be the anti-foaming additives which are said to be needed for the variable valve timing mechanism, how many dexos approved 0w30 oils are available?

I am still trying to find that info. Where I live the winters get cold (Chicago area) but not absurd. so I could probably get away with 5w oil. I am most concerned with getting the most out mof my car, I do alot of city driving and usually a monthly north to visit family I typically average 800 miles monthly.

Well we get fairly cold here too, so I'm interested in what you find. I've always used 10 weight as the low end around here so the 5 weight should be fine for now. It is really that initial start time that is the worst spot, a couple seconds later and you should have pressure.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to get oil for my Spark today... We live in CA and the nearest DexOS 5w-20 was in Oklahoma. It was disappointing to know that they don't stock this oil regularly, but after my inquiries this may change.

Sometimes it's better being the second person to have an oil and filter change.

On the plus side, Concord Chevy did give me a good price on the oil filter!

Any thoughts on the 5-30 issue? I'm really surprised they didn't have the 5-20 since all the new "regular" chevys passenger cars use this, the high performance and trucks may use something else. Also surprised they didn't try and sell you on the 5-30 Mobile1 that they most certainly had in stock.

Another funny thing is the price of an oil change:

ACDelco oil and filter is $40 or $50 (can't remember)

Mobile 1 and filter is $80

Now both of those include the time for the mechanic to make the change so basically the ACDelco oil is almost free and you pay regular retail for the Mobile 1 ($10 a quart).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guys GPO here for more info on oils....

Www.bobustheoilguy.com then choose forums.

0w20 syn is fine. Mobil1 is the only OTC syn oil that's a true syn. They use PAO as base oil. The rest is group 3 hydrorefined base stock. Nothing wrong with it other than it shpoukdnt cost $7/at. Mobil 1 is real as is am soil signature. Their OEM's might be but not sure. Another great oil is Toyotas 0w20 syn. Its got Molly as an additive and will do 10k easy.