2015 1st oil change question

Go to solution Solved by WaltK,

So I bought my 2015 spark brand new at 13 miles last July 9th. My wife uses it for work for less than 10 miles per day. After 4 months I went back to the dealer for my late oil chabge (normally 3rd month is the first schedule). So I went there last november with just 2000+ miles and I asked them if my car is due for a 1st maintenance. He said that I should follow the oil life monitor built in to the car. Now its already the 5th month and my miles is not even 2800. They said come back when ur 6000 miles or whenever the pil monitor change. In our situation, thats probably gonna be next year probably july 2016.

Now my question is, what happen to 3 months or 6000 miles whichever comes first oil change schedule? And also Im worried abt the maintenance calendar if I tried to sell it and look for the maintenance record. Can you please clarifyif 3 months or 6000 miles applies in my situation. A professional or experienced suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

• Solution

It is recommended to use the oil life monitor, but not to go past one year. As an example, if your monitor is showing 30% left, but it's been a year since you last changed the oil, then you need to change it, irregardless of what the monitor says. The 3 month, 6000 mile oil change has gone the way of the dinosaur. There are constant improvements being made in lubrication formulations, this is no longer just plain oil. Back in the '50s when a car reached 50,000 miles, it was ready to be scrapped, today, it is just loosening up. Naturally, you are free to do as you please, but you are absolutely safe using the oil life monitor, as GM recommends.