• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

saw it at the LA auto show... lots of pics..

Posted Images

Great feedback, thanks. My dealer has a couple of LS models but I am waiting for the 1LT and 2LT to arrive.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Yeah, I was shocked to see the first one on the lot was a 1LT. That's why I wanted to go see it, before it disappeared.

I had him look for a manual 1LT, and there were zero within 300 miles. Two were being built for other states. Seems it will be a while before they are readily available.

Great info jibb do you remember the sticker price? I see 2016's on eBay I wonder if they are in stock or just pre selling?

I believe it was 16,660. That's what it's listed for on their site.

I try to post the things I notice; the things that aren't included in the "details", but are nice to have.

There's other things I missed, like the front cup holders are both "small" now, but the one behind the E-Brake is quite large. The "bin" under the radio/HVAC stack is deeper than mine, seems more useful, still illuminated with the blue LED.

The salesman called, said he "figured out" a way to trade mine in, I'm heading down there tomorrow morning to hear his wise plan. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. lol :stop:

Nope. I drove the 16 Spark, saw what I wanted to see; even considered going to a Sonic, for the 'trunk' room (gf has two small kids - with a trip to Florida in 7 months). Somehow the salesman heard "Cruze" out of those two, even after telling him I want a hatchback.
He set me up to test drive a $23k 1.4 Turbo Cruze, I'll drive anything you want, for the fun of it! I gotta say, I was impressed. The seat went so far back I couldn't touch the pedals, which is unheard of at 6'5". It took off like a rocket, compared to my Spark. I knew it was way out of my price range. My Spark was almost 10k less. He pitched me a line for 5 minutes, why I needed this car and why the $100 more a month was worth it and it would get me "out" of my Spark, like it's a lemon. Truth is, I don't need anything, my 3 year old Spark only has 27k miles and runs like a champ. The look of defeat on his face was well worth it, when I drove away in my Spark.
I know the new Cruze is coming out next month (and looks much better, I'd definitely drive it). I also know they are sitting on many many of these ugly mom-cars, so they are pushing them hard. Just not pushing them on me, sorry.
Alright, that's the end of my rant.

On a side note, I see on my Google cards on my phone, the 16 Spark is $6k less in Canada. So I looked it up, they start at $6,876USD. That's crazy! How can I get to Canada to buy a car... :headscratch:

I bought a 2016 LS last night. Totaled my 2014 LT last week so i didnt have time to wait for the LT. I got it for $11,998 ( in the philadelphia area)

Negative Things that surprised me coming from the 2014LT to the 2016LS (or things i miss)

No power windows and door locks, i couldnt care less about power windows but the door locks bug me.
No XM radio, again not a big deal but i just assumed it would have it since it has the "new" mylink, even less of a big deal because i can just use my phone if i want xm that bad (i dont)

No steering wheel controls (not surprised just miss)

steel rims (again just miss)

Positive notes

apple car play

speakers are very much improved. Gone are the big dashboard circles and the rear mounts. there are speakers in each door and what look like tweeters on the windshield frame

rearview camera

the touted 16% increase in horsepower is obvious, still not a speed demon by far, but you can tell the difference

its A LOT quieter inside. that was one thing that was a negative on the 14 for me

actual radio buttons and dials, with the lack of steering wheel controls thank god for this.

new dashboard design, it actually looks like a part of the car now and not a last minute addition (though i actually dug that when i had it, i like this more)

Overall i am happier with the upgrades than i am sad with the downgrades. not only that, but the payments on my new one are 30 bucks cheaper, and i already owe less on this one than i did on that one.

Can somebody from Chevrolet tell me why the 2016 spark that Mexico gets has the led lights and turn signal repeaters on the mirrors and the spark for the states do not get theses options ?

Ever driven in Mexico? Trust me when I say those lights are truly needed along with a loud horn that will get plenty of use...May also be a regulation thing there..we don't really need those here but, ya..would be nice to have them.

Hi all,

New Spark owner here. I had been waiting for the 2016 Spark since I saw it previewed back in April. Way back in 2012 I had looked at the 2013 Spark but did't go for it.

Then there was an auto show here in Indianapolis just after Christmas. On New Years Day I went to the auto show as it seemed the 2016 Spark would be on display. Well sure enough it was there. The one on display was black exterior and a 1LT. It was nice. I took a lot of pics of the inside and outside as I wasn't sure how long it would be before I'd get a chance to see another.

I had been checking the chevydealer.com site to see when a 2016 would be coming to the Indianapolis area. A total of 8 have been listed as "in transit" for weeks. This past Monday I noticed 1 was no longer listed as "in transit" so I called up the dealer the next day. She confirmed the car was indeed there and I made an appointment to see about buying it the next day.

So in short, this past Wednesday, I bought the 2016 Spark. I got the 1LT Automatic in Splash with jet black/blue interior. That "Splash" blue is pretty nice. I would not have gone for the LS despite the low price, manual windows/locks and no XM would just drive me nuts. I was so glad the first 2016 Spark to show up in my area was a 1LT and in a color I liked

Now I cannot compare to the previous gen Sparks like a lot of you can. I've driven smaller sedan's plenty but this is my first what I call "mini-car". I really like the way it drives. Only a few small things seem odd to me. Like no engine temperature gauge, that just seems odd. It's cold in Indy now and thankfully this Spark warms up faster than the previous car I had (2013 Nissan Sentra SR). Also the gear shift (along with the hand brake) seems way low on the floor.

I'll post some more comments later, and get some pics this weekend. The Spark is way too dirty right now with the snow here in the Indy area.

Just wanted to say hello here and to say I'll try to answer questions if needed. I'm not a gearhead mind you, just a normal guy into tech stuff (which is why I wanted the 2016 Spark for Apple CarPlay).

I put my EV in L and sport mode last night. A lot of pickup for such a small car. I am used to taking it easy on the gas and brakes while driving, but it was interesting to feel it go. I have only driven it a few times, but so far so good!

Biggest annoyance is that if I was listening to my iPod via bluetooth last time I was in it, the radio starts up as soon as I turn on the car.

ya 350 ft-lb of torque it's a quick little sucker. a lot of people miss judge EV's but they're quick. had a soul EV at work that we were filming and had to take it to get washed.. really pissed off some jerk in audi s7 because i won't let him past me.. also he was driving like an asshole kept switching lanes to go one car forward lol couldn't get in front of me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see some people talking about the 2016s. The media hasn't even driven them or written any reviews about them (as a media member, I was asking if there were any in the vehicle fleets, and there aren't yet). I believe the media will get a chance to drive the '16, the new Cruze, and maybe a revised Sonic in the near future.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to driving a '16 and seeing how it stacks up against a '15. I really liked the '15 and just found a new '15 2LT MT on a lot near me in the color I'd want. I'm sure it'll go soon.

Motor trend did a review of the 16 and they liked it .

By golly, you're right. I wonder how I've missed this for so many weeks?

Article is here: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-chevrolet-spark-first-test-review/

One other question: The new 1.4-liter engine—is this truly an all-new engine or has it been in other models outside of the U.S. for a while? (I know the Sonic and Cruze have the 1.4-liter turbo engine, but this, obviously, isn't turbocharged).

Edited by Thirty-Nine

I was driving past my dealership early this evening, and spotted two new '16 Sparks, a toasted marshmallow, and I don't recall the name of the blue. They were both 1 LT's, CVT's sitting on the lot, so I pulled in and started to look at them. A salesman that I knew, came out and started the soft sell, I wound up taking the marshmallow for a spin, just out of curiosity. Nice little car, driving it, felt the same as my '13, with the exception of the CVT trans, which would really take some getting used to, car rode smooth and quiet, as I said, it felt the same as mine. The overall appearance is nice, but it looks like a typical generic import, not as unique as the 13-15's. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as for me, given the choice, I would choose the 13-15 model over the 2016, I saw nothing that excited me to the point that I would buy one. In all fairness though, it is a good value, at $16,600, and for a first time buyer you can't go wrong, if I needed a car, I would take a serious look. Again, this is only my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty who will fall in love with it. :)

Edited by WaltK

I was driving past my dealership early this evening, and spotted two new '16 Sparks, a toasted marshmallow, and I don't recall the name of the blue. They were both 1 LT's, CVT's sitting on the lot, so I pulled in and started to look at them. A salesman that I knew, came out and started the soft sell, I wound up taking the marshmallow for a spin, just out of curiosity. Nice little car, driving it, felt the same as my '13, with the exception of the CVT trans, which would really take some getting used to, car rode smooth and quiet, as I said, it felt the same as mine. The overall appearance is nice, but it looks like a typical generic import, not as unique as the 13-15's. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as for me, given the choice, I would choose the 13-15 model over the 2016, I saw nothing that excited me to the point that I would buy one. In all fairness though, it is a good value, at $16,600, and for a first time buyer you can't go wrong, if I needed a car, I would take a serious look. Again, this is only my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty who will fall in love with it. :)

I'm with you. I looked at one already and it's not worth the upgrade. Like you said, the pre 2016 are unique and stand out. This was one of the reasons for buying mine.

The 16's are just starting to trickle in my area . My dealer still doesn't have any to look at . I like that it has a spare tire and some new features I want . It does look very generic compare to the previous model . Based on the road test its significantly quicker and better handling but looks wise I not sold on it just yet . Other than the splash blue LT 2 the interior is also generic looking . Right now it looks like mainly LS and LT1 models just like it was in 2013 and the LT2 in short supply .

One other question: The new 1.4-liter engine—is this truly an all-new engine or has it been in other models outside of the U.S. for a while? (I know the Sonic and Cruze have the 1.4-liter turbo engine, but this, obviously, isn't turbocharged).

Yup..A new class of GM engines that is all aluminum and has got some good write ups as far as the design and tech behind it. Three and 4cyl for now..I think they all have direct fuel injection and the 3 sizes 1.0, 1.4 and 1.5L come in variants that include turbo for some vehicle models all have double VVT overhead and 4 valves per cyl..same as earlier models. Spark does not have the Turbo option but the 1.4L does have direct injection and is all aluminum...so very rigid and more even and faster heat ups..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Thomas Taco Schultz, did you get an automatic tranny or stick? I am looking at a Salsa Red '16 Chevy Spark selling for $12,535. It's a 5-speed stick - gotta be a stick shift. So, the car is more quiet inside the cabin? I like the new interior and I would use the Android Auto. Do you know if you can play the audio of your favorite YouTube videos? You get Wi-Fi hotspot, too. I would just want a bullet-proof powertrain, mainly.

Is the room in the front comfortable - there's plenty of room? And I see they're giving us an armrest, too. I read your review of your 2016 Spark. Chime in with more if you have more to say about the new Spark. I'm like a 2016 Chevy Spark sponge for information.

Hey, Thomas Taco Schultz, did you get an automatic tranny or stick? I am looking at a Salsa Red '16 Chevy Spark selling for $12,535. It's a 5-speed stick - gotta be a stick shift. So, the car is more quiet inside the cabin? I like the new interior and I would use the Android Auto. Do you know if you can play the audio of your favorite YouTube videos? You get Wi-Fi hotspot, too. I would just want a bullet-proof powertrain, mainly.

Is the room in the front comfortable - there's plenty of room? And I see they're giving us an armrest, too. I read your review of your 2016 Spark. Chime in with more if you have more to say about the new Spark. I'm like a 2016 Chevy Spark sponge for information.

Hey Buddy,

I got an automatic. Mine is a lot more quiet than the 14 but again i dont know how much of a difference the transmission makes. You can play youtube audio through a standard blue tooth connection, i can also play it using carplay. Im not sure about android audio but you will be able to use bluetooth regardless. The wifi hotspot was nice, but if you currently have AT&T im pretty sure its the same network. all in all i love the car, its fun to drive, more pickup than the 14, and has enough bells and whistles to keep me happy. im getting about 31 gallons to the mile right now too :)

EDIT: oh and yes plenty of room upfront, even when i have a carseat behind the passenger. Im 6' tall and no complaints

Edited by Thomas Taco Schulz