As a continuation of a previous thread, I thought this might deserve its own spot. I bought the GM #95940389 fog light kit from Abernethy Chevrolet:

http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/B009ERVHBG

They also have an ebay store. I'll try to detail everything as I go through the installation and hopefully have everything finished this weekend with the possible exception of the dealer programming. I looked at the instrument clusters and I didn't see a fog light symbol anywhere, so programming might not be needed since the instructions suggest that the lights will work before the programming, I should find out soon enough. The kit contains the following parts:

95940390 lamp left hand

95940391 lamp right hand

95080066 chrome bezel left hand???

95080065 chrome bezel right hand???

95214495 black bezel left hand

95214496 black bezel right hand

95153828 turn/headlight/fog switch stalk

95933228 wiring harness

13500113 relay

19116043 fuse

94520491 lamp mounting screws

96224564 cable ties

Here are some pictures of the components. The packages that are listed as chrome bezel left and right seem to be in the wrong bags, left in the right bag, right in the left bag. If you need to order a new one it may get confusing.

lamphousing1.jpg

lamphousing2.jpg

chromebezel.jpg

blackbezel.jpg

controlstalk.jpg

connectors1.jpg

connectors2.jpg

H8lamp.jpg

instructions.jpg

More to come.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg, This is undoubtably the most detailed and beautiful description of an installation that I have seen. THANK YOU for being a member on this site!

Now on to the wiring harness, the ground points are again a 10mm bolt head, the fog light ground must go under the other connecter or it will not allow the bolt to go back through the eyelets. I used

And here is the last part. Before starting I suggest you get something to fight corrosion, none of the ground points or battery terminals have any corrosion protection on them: You'll need this as

Posted Images

And here is the last part. Before starting I suggest you get something to fight corrosion, none of the ground points or battery terminals have any corrosion protection on them:

corrosionX.jpg

You'll need this as the job progresses.

I did things in a slightly different order from the instructions, the work all gets done just a different sequence. Left side is illustarted, right side will be similar.

Remove the battery negative connection

step1.jpg

This is where I differ from the instructions, most recommendations say to leave things alone for 20 minutes to make sure the airbag system can not operate. So instead of going straight to the steering wheel and working, I decided to work outside while everything lost a charge.

Start removing the front bumper cover by prying up the plastic holder things indicated with the yellow lines

step2.jpg

Move to the inner fender well and remove the plastic holder things at the yellow lines (4 of them)

step3a.jpg

step3b.jpg

Next remove the screws securing the lower mounting points, these are a 7mm head so get your socket out

step4a.jpg

step4b.jpg

step4c.jpg

step4d.jpg

then remove the torx 15 screws inside the wheel well holding the bumper cover to the fender

step4e.jpg

Edited by Greg_E

Remove two of the headlight mounting screws to allow them to move around a little

step5a.jpg

step5b.jpg

Next pull off the bumper cover starting at the fender, use a little force to pull it away from the clips holding it in place

step7a.jpg

The headlight has another set of clips that you'll need to fight with, rock the bottom edge of the bumper cover out and it will help get it free from the headlights.

step7b.jpg

And then it is off

step7c.jpg

Remove the old dummy cover with the 3 screws indicated

step10a.jpg

And screw in the light and the new bezel

step10b.jpg

Move inside and start pulling the switch apart

step8a.jpg

step8b.jpg

step8c.jpg

Pry the lower plastic off and remove the nut, this is 10mm

step8d.jpg

pry up the cover and remove the second nut (on top of wheel assembly and in back of instrument cluster)

step8e.jpg

step8f.jpg

Unplug the connector

step9a.jpg

squeeze the top and bottom tabs and slide the switch out

step9b.jpg

step9bdetail.jpg

then slide the new switch in and plug the connector back in

step9c.jpg

Edited by Greg_E

Moving back outside we'll deal with the wiring harness which is probably the least thought out part of this kit. Pull the cover off the fuse block and put the fuse and relay in place.

step11a.jpg

Notice the angled edge on the relay, I painted it wwith silver sharpie so it can be seen. The relay can go in backwards, this is certain to cause huge problems with your car so be careful.

step11b.jpg

Remove the headlight by removing the last screw holding them in place

step12.jpg

Disconnect the positive battery connection on the end of the fuse block with a 10mm socket (not indicated). Remove the fuse block by prying the four tabs outward and lifting the block

step13a.jpg

this exposes the connector which is removed by a 7mm bolt

step13b.jpg

The wire goes into position 25, I tried to highlight the numbers 23 and 26, with a line indicating 25

step13c.jpg

In order for the contact to be pushed in, you must pry the white retainer out a little so the contact will slip by, once inserted press the white retainer back in place.

step13d.jpg

Edited by Greg_E

Now on to the wiring harness, the ground points are again a 10mm bolt head, the fog light ground must go under the other connecter or it will not allow the bolt to go back through the eyelets. I used orange cable ties so they were easier to see. Do your best with the harness routing and spray the corrosionX on the ground points when you are done.

step14a.jpg

step14b.jpg

step14c.jpg

step14d.jpg

step14e.jpg

You can put the ground back on the battery now or wait until the cover is back on. Cut the tails off the cable ties, put the headlights back on, and put the bumper cover back on.

step15.jpg

Take it to your dealer and have it programmed to see if it works which is the next step I need to have done. Once it is working you'll need to use the adjustment screws on the lights to aim the beams.

Edited by Greg_E

I read your post. Wow!! I never realized how labor intense it was. I bought my Spark las month and same as you, purch the fog kit. My husband was going to put it on, but it didn't come with instructions. Now after watching your install, I beleive it is worth the $150 the dealer will charge to do it. This week we had a alarm installed so I can have auto door locks. We had it conected to the trunk switch. Anyone have a better idea?? Also anyone heard when or where I might be able to get the navigation system? I'd like to switch it out with an

original chevy one. I wasn't able to locate a xlt when I purch my LT. Thanks

Where did you buy the fog light kit? They should have given you the instructions which aren't that great and pretty much the same as what I've shown above. Now that I've done this once I could probably have it completed in about 2 hours or maybe a bit less.

My big concern with paying the dealer to install it is that I don't think this is a $350 option, there are a lot of good lights out there for less. The $215 I paid was alot more than they might be worth once I see what the actual light output looks like. So far my favorite fog light is the Hella Micro DE fog.

I hope it comes in handy for someone else, considering that the instructions are supposed to be a dealer only thing I thought I better detail as much as possible to help others get through the work. Going to try and see if my dealer can program it on Monday. Also need to have them check the wheel alignment as my car pulls a little to one side.

This DRM for your car is kind of making me angry, can't get my car in until next week for them to try again. Not sure why they couldn't just program all the features so that when stuff was connected it would just plain work. Either that or build in the programming so that we could enter the authorization code from the instrument cluster using the buttons provided.

I do know that the LS is listed as being compatible but I can not find a light up icon to tell us when the fog lights are on.

Take some pictures if you get yours done before I get mine done. You are probably now the second person to have these installed and might be the first for programming. I'm starting to think I need to find a way to bypass the cars computer and build a small device to handle things seperately. The big problem is that I think most of the devices in the fuse block do not have individual wires to turn them on. Pretty sure a data stream goes to this box, and then a controller inside the box turns the relays on.

Cost me $50USD to have it programmed, since it is only a little over twice that to have them installed, I don't see this as being much of a user installed option. Indicator shows in the center display.

step16_zps75edbe01.jpg

Lights go off when high beams are on, this means my driving lights should be legal in most states since they will only come on when the high beams are on. Raining today so I'll have pictures of the finished product when I get a chance and impressions of how well they work from the drive home tonight.

Edited by Greg_E

Can you tell me your chevy dealers location and phone #. I took my car in again today and they are still claiming the software is still not avail. I'll give them your stores # so they can call and get it figured out. Glad you got yours up and running. Ive been having trouble logging into this forum to let you know whats up. Let me know PLEASE!

• 1 month later...

Better than nothing, but if it was easy to mount my Hella Micro DE fogs I would much rather have them instead. But I have used them pretty much every night on the way home and they do help, haven't had a chance on dark snow covered roads but they should work pretty well there (can't wait to see the driving lights on snowy roads). Summary is I feel they are worth having if you drive at night on wet roads back roads that don't have streetlights.

Back to the Micro DE fogs, I can not think of an easy way to mount them in the foglight area. Maybe once summer rolls back around with the late sunset I'll make a new mount and get the Micro DE installed.

• 2 weeks later...