Check engine light on. AGAIN!

Engine light came on and vehicle seems sluggish through 1st-3rd gear. Spark plugs? I don't know. Apparently plugs are suppose to be good to 100k according to factory. Iridium plugs at that too! At $8 a plug. $32 to do a plug change, how stupid.

Check engine light (CEL) is usually associated with bad combustion leading to excess emissions. The other CEL with the arrow at the bottom indicates a more serious mechanical problem. I doubt the plugs are bad, but for some reason your air/fuel ratio is incorrect causing sluggish performance. All this stuff is sensor controlled and sensors are electrical. Seems your problems started with the washer tank & battery replacement. I am thinking there is an on going electrical issue that ruined your battery in the first place. This kinda CEL stuff is almost impossible to figure out without checking for codes, but logic indicates the past problems are related or it is a fouled MAS. Since you are past basic warranty (except for the MAS & other emission parts), I would go to a trusted garage and explain the history of your issues and get them to check the codes..could be something as simple as a missing grounded unit, loose or disconnected wire or fouled MAS. Check your oil for black sooty color and if you are burning oil. I am assuming you had the PCV recall done...I'm just guessing based on logic, but if I had your situation that's what I would do.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

ya check engine light has to do with the emissions system.. could be as simple as not having the gas cap on tight. should still be under warranty and the dealership will check it and fix it for free.

i dunno bud VW cost twice as much half the warranty and anything that breaks out of warranty cost you an arm and a leg to fix..

still problem free with my spark..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...