Hey Guys. Just got done installing my new intake in my car! Great News! Its amazing! Actually gained 19HP! per bluthtooth OBD reader (poor mans dyno) anyway here are some pics, Let me know what you think! (also im having a issue, hoping someone with experience can help out. With my MAF pluged in im having some idle issues. Ive cleaned my MAF sensor with CRC with no luck. So anyone has a good pointer how to fix this please help. And, until I get the fix is it okay to run without the MAF sensor in???(witch it runs amazing without it plugged in) I assume the ECU has default settings it goes to when something isnt working like that. Thanks again!

Make sure the mass airflow sensor is not bolted in backwards (180*). There is an arrow for airflow direction stamped on sensor. Also, if the ridges/lip of the tubing or coupling is blocking some of the sensor's filament, you will get a false reading. I would also have plumbed the valve cover vent tube AFTER the mass airflow sensor to prevent any oil blow by misting sensor. Another thing would be to double check there are no air leaks between sensor and throttle body. Disconnecting the battery while doing all this would put the ECM in "learn mode", ensuring maximum results based on your driving style/habits.

Make sure the mass airflow sensor is not bolted in backwards (180*). There is an arrow for airflow direction stamped on sensor. Also, if the ridges/lip of the tubing or coupling is blocking some of the sensor's filament, you will get a false reading. I would also have plumbed the valve cover vent tube AFTER the mass airflow sensor to prevent any oil blow by misting sensor. Another thing would be to double check there are no air leaks between sensor and throttle body. Disconnecting the battery while doing all this would put the ECM in "learn mode", ensuring maximum results based on your driving style/habits.

This is good stuff. Thank you. I'll be trying a few of these. I do feel like their is a leak somewhere. I'll be posting back letting you know my results. Thanks again for the feedback!!

semi un-unrelated.. howd you take the front bumper off? how difficult was it to do? tools needed? I know there the retainer clips under the hood right on top, but what about all the rest? thanks!

It's okay, it was pretty easy over all. I followed another members tutorial on this site, here's the link. http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/355-foglight-install/ It went smoothly overall. Parts I had to stop think about it but isn't hard.

So, any word on that MAF sensor being unplugged while driving? Is it okay??????

Short answer: Yes and no. The MAS determines how much air the pistons are drawing and sets the amount of fuel injected to make a good fuel/air ratio as well as whether to advance or retard the ignition timing and to some extent the VVT timing. More air detected by the MAS, more fuel injected. Without the MAS the fuel injected will be mostly constant default at any RPM as will the timing. Problem is that at higher RPM the engine will not increase the fuel consumption to reflect the increase in air content resulting in a lean and hot combustion as the timing of the ignition and valves will remain unchanged..thus the better performance. The rough idle could be a spark plug coil acting up or failing. You are probably noticing better fuel mileage with the MAS off....Bottom line is that with the Spark engine being so dependent on sensors and the MAS being the main data input to other sensors...running with it disconnected could lead to mechanical problems since the VVT, timing and fuel/air ratio will run at default throughout the rpm range. Without going into major technical issues..this is my best answer based on logic but not on experience.

Short answer: Yes and no. The MAS determines how much air the pistons are drawing and sets the amount of fuel injected to make a good fuel/air ratio as well as whether to advance or retard the ignition timing and to some extent the VVT timing. More air detected by the MAS, more fuel injected. Without the MAS the fuel injected will be mostly constant default at any RPM as will the timing. Problem is that at higher RPM the engine will not increase the fuel consumption to reflect the increase in air content resulting in a lean and hot combustion as the timing of the ignition and valves will remain unchanged..thus the better performance. The rough idle could be a spark plug coil acting up or failing. You are probably noticing better fuel mileage with the MAS off....Bottom line is that with the Spark engine being so dependent on sensors and the MAS being the main data input to other sensors...running with it disconnected could lead to mechanical problems since the VVT, timing and fuel/air ratio will run at default throughout the rpm range. Without going into major technical issues..this is my best answer based on logic but not on experience.

This is a AWESOME response. Thank you. It makes sense. Thats all I needed to know. All I'm running it for is like a day or so and throwing stock back in. I ordering replacement parts online to replace the store bought shit. When I first posted this I really just wanted to run it but I've accepted I can't until this is fixed. Like right now it won't even drive down the road with that MAF in.

This is a AWESOME response. Thank you. It makes sense. Thats all I needed to know. All I'm running it for is like a day or so and throwing stock back in. I ordering replacement parts online to replace the store bought shit. When I first posted this I really just wanted to run it but I've accepted I can't until this is fixed. Like right now it won't even drive down the road with that MAF in.

I notice the PCV tube is connected in front of the MAS and that is not correct. That would cause oily air to foul the MAS..Maybe that intake section was installed reversed and should be flipped 180° so the PCV tube is connected past the MAS airflow. The MAS is probably badly in need of cleaning by now or damaged.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Yeah. I'm completely re-doing this. This time I'm cutting all the tubs I've noticed it's running a lot smother with 2.25" leading into 3" tubes and drilling my breather into the 45 degree bend. As for all the other issues their fixed. I'll post when the new intake is in.

post-2458-0-59186200-1444617801_thumb.jp

Edited by Do0ks

That may work but the PCV really needs some vacuum rather than a small filter at the end that will restrict the flow and get oily and dirty real fast. If you are using the same parts as your previous set up, make sure the MAS is still clean since you had the PCV venting upstream from it.

The attached pix is the way I would have done it using your existing parts.post-1288-0-18166300-1444644232_thumb.jp

I would do away with the small filter for the valve cover. Rather than "venting" the crankcase gases, I would plumb the tube between the mass flow and the throttle body. The engine needs vacuum to keep piston rings sealed better and blow-by to a minimum, not to mention the smell of oil. This will also aid in performance, mileage, and reliability down the road.

You may have built more engines but I can tell you that having it vent before the throttle body is an issue and if it can be avoided then by all means avoid it. The throttle body will get gunked up. But due to the drive by wire it learns to deal with it so you don't notice it. Then you unhook the battery for some reason and all of a sudden it idles poorly, won't hardly run and you can't figure it out because all you did was change the battery.

Then you have to pull the throttle body and clean it out front and back. It is a very common issue and GM should be shot for continuing to design them this way.

There is only one correct way to vent crankcase gas after the gas exits the PCV unit is to connect the valve cover outlet via tube to the intake snorkel in a place where the air has already passed the MAS. I posted a revised pix in a previous post indicating placement using the OP's original, but incorrect parts and instal. If it is not done with the PCV venting tube connected after (downstream) the MAS (correct), you will indeed have problems. here's the pix of the only correct way...once again....very simple and applies to all intake systems for this car.

post-1288-0-98583800-1444729460_thumb.jp

Calm down guys, wait till my next build lol. That was temp. My new pipes should be here tomorrow and it'll be correct all ways around. That breather has to work for now because the damn maf harnes isn't long enough to switch the vacuume line and the sensor. But I'm getting 2.25" pipes in and drilling the hose spot in it so the sensor doesn't have to move down. I'll probably add an extension on so it's not so short. We'll see soon.

Got it. In the first setup pix you had the MAS connector/assembly pipe upside down. In the second setup pix the MAS connector/assembly pipe was correct orientation. Just make sure the MAS connector green wire is facing to the car rear and the white part of the connector is on top as it is in your second setup pix.

I think the reason so many replied to your post is that we have a some experienced techs on this site and we just wanted to be sure you did not set it up in such a way that there would be damage or messy oil fouled intake and upper valve cam sludge...sound like yer on the right track now. Good luck and keep us posted on this interesting set up.

Okay so I did more to the cold air intake. It is now fixed fully. Running with MAF in with 0 issues. I'll post later tonight all correct parts needed. Let me know guys if you see anything but I do feel it's right this time. Also. I plasti dipped my car :).

post-2458-0-88548900-1445456071_thumb.jp

post-2458-0-87648200-1445456140_thumb.jp

Got it. In the first setup pix you had the MAS connector/assembly pipe upside down. In the second setup pix the MAS connector/assembly pipe was correct orientation. Just make sure the MAS connector green wire is facing to the car rear and the white part of the connector is on top as it is in your second setup pix.

I think the reason so many replied to your post is that we have a some experienced techs on this site and we just wanted to be sure you did not set it up in such a way that there would be damage or messy oil fouled intake and upper valve cam sludge...sound like yer on the right track now. Good luck and keep us posted on this interesting set up.

Yes. And I'm greatful to have you guys helping because in honesty this is the first time doing this. So thank you. Hahahah I didn't even see the MAF was the wrong way lol.

Now that I look at it. I remember not having it plugged in in the first pic because of idle issues. It wouldn't even drive down the road.

Edited by Do0ks