• 2 weeks later...

HID lights do not work properly with stock reflectors. HID light systems project light while stock halogen lights reflect light from the focused reflectors. Using HID with the stock reflectors will blind other drivers and spread light where it is not needed. Due to the ballast system required by the HID they cannot be used as lower intensity DRL.

HID lights do not work properly with stock reflectors. HID light systems project light while stock halogen lights reflect light from the focused reflectors. Using HID with the stock reflectors will blind other drivers and spread light where it is not needed. Due to the ballast system required by the HID they cannot be used as lower intensity DRL.

While I do agree they should not be used in halogen reflectors it is still possible using the link above to get your HID to work properly as DRL.

If I was going to do HID it would require picking up a projector assembly, open up the factory light housing, and modify it to accept the new projector. There is a group or company overseas that have modded our lights for HID with great results.

• 2 weeks later...

wow I didnt know that i guess its time to revert back to stock and thanks for the heads up

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" and as I've said in the past I have nothing but respect for people who do their own work and DIY projects..with all the info on the web it is always a good idea to visit a few sites to get a perspective and tech info on your DIY or in fact any tech mod. Nidal, in your case, if your really want a HID system, you can still do that with the correct reflectors or whatever makes them legal. Here in Miami we get alot of rain and fog and more than a few times I have been totally blinded by on coming cars with improper HID installs and in the rain or fog that bright light goes everywhere so you have really no idea where the car is coming from at night. Some states have even outlawed the sale of certain HID kits (Texas, etc..)...So with a little homework you could probably get your HID not only legal but safe. The small print on my insurance clearly states that mods that make the car unable to conform to DOT standards will void my insurance in the case of some or all claims depending on the application and use.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hids are always worth the cost,they are pretty cheap now a china kit is like $30 a good kit with warranty is just over $100. but i wouldn't install them on the stock reflectors, they would scatter too much and bother people driving ahead. Hid fogs are great option.

Sounds like you know your HID stuff...exactly right about install in stock reflectors..way too scattered and and that is why they are to be mounted as a kit and not in the stock reflectors..I see this all the time..people not installing them properly and blinding a wide cone of oncoming..Illegal to do that as well..but ya..I had no idea the prices had come down that much..us old timers have trouble keeping up. I have factory HID's on my Rover and when driving at night on an unlit road thru the 'Glades they really do light things up much better..I think they have saved quite a few types of wildlife in the dark rd. thru the swampy 'Glades since I can see a 'Gator or Turtle far enough to avoid them at speed. Even Toads, Frogs & Snakes have expressed their gratitude to me for the HID's..'Nuff said on that...

Edited by Retired old Gearhead