2013 Spark cold air intake advice hellllllpppp

Hey so I just need alittle advice on where to connect my duct to on the front of my car. I'm very new at this and this will be the first time I've done any kinda real mod to my car. I have plans on putting a shit can on after this is complete. Anyway my intake is a cold air intake, but also a short ram intake. The only thing that makes it a cold air intake is because I have a duct running from the filter to the front of my car. The reason I want it like that because I'm in ny and I want to disconnect that hose when the weather is bad. Don't need water and shit in my engine as I'm not adding a bypass valve. Here is where I need advice. What I want to do is take the foglight cap and drill a 3" hole in it and connect the duct to that. The fear I have is shit getting kicked up and sucked in to my filter. ( if I do it that way I'll be putting chicken wire over the hole to keep big shit out). I also don't know if it will be to much air going through. I don't expect that to much. It probably wouldn't affect it but need to cover it. Orrrrr should I just drill a hole on the side of my front bumber and have it there.

Thanks guys.

Admittedly, I have no idea what you are talking about and sounds a bit complex for something that will give you no benefit and a lot work and a lot of dirty filters. Why not do as others on this forum have done..buy an intake kit made for the Spark. Looks cool but makes almost no difference in anything other than sound.

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/978-injen-cold-air-intake-install/

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at other intakes but I don't want them. I want mine. First because it best fits my needs. Filters are going to get dirty regardless. It's 50% cheaper to buy a after market filter vs. a stock (K&N). And second, well I don't have one. I just want it :).

It should give it a bit more pep. I mean it did when I modded the stock air box. All I did was disconnect the resonator box but it was a surprising differance. I guess I have high hopes.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at other intakes but I don't want them. I want mine. First because it best fits my needs. Filters are going to get dirty regardless. It's 50% cheaper to buy a after market filter vs. a stock (K&N). And second, well I don't have one. I just want it :).

It should give it a bit more pep. I mean it did when I modded the stock air box. All I did was disconnect the resonator box but it was a surprising differance. I guess I have high hopes.

Anyone willing to take on a mod project always has my respect. Your project is a little bit 'outside the box', but there is plenty of info on this site as well as on other car tech sites. If done properly. Keep in mind though that as apposed to a forced air system such as a blower system or turbo, an air intake system is based on a naturally aspired engine sucking in as much air as needed for combustion & on the Spark, based on sensors such as airflow sensor, etc and throttle position. No matter where the intake is placed, the engine will only suck in as much air as it needs for predetermined combustion based on the 10.5:1 compression ratio and sensor regulated fuel amount. A properly designed air intake system including minimal resistant filtration will make the engine breathe easier and can result in better performance at higher RPM's. An intake point that is positioned to take air at greater pressure such as directly from the outside front of the car, in your case the bottom fog light area, may indeed give you some higher end boost...so you are on the right track in that respect. My only concern is that the intake at the lower end of the car front is exposed to more dust, etc than higher up. Let us know how you make out with this project and if you find any boost to performance. Sometimes thinking outside the box is surprisingly successful and I wish you good luck with this interesting project.

Anyone willing to take on a mod project always has my respect. Your project is a little bit 'outside the box', but there is plenty of info on this site as well as on other car tech sites. If done properly. Keep in mind though that as apposed to a forced air system such as a blower system or turbo, an air intake system is based on a naturally aspired engine sucking in as much air as needed for combustion & on the Spark, based on sensors such as airflow sensor, etc and throttle position. No matter where the intake is placed, the engine will only suck in as much air as it needs for predetermined combustion based on the 10.5:1 compression ratio and sensor regulated fuel amount. A properly designed air intake system including minimal resistant filtration will make the engine breathe easier and can result in better performance at higher RPM's. An intake point that is positioned to take air at greater pressure such as directly from the outside front of the car, in your case the bottom fog light area, may indeed give you some higher end boost...so you are on the right track in that respect. My only concern is that the intake at the lower end of the car front is exposed to more dust, etc than higher up. Let us know how you make out with this project and if you find any boost to performance. Sometimes thinking outside the box is surprisingly successful and I wish you good luck with this interesting project.

Ah thank you! Its more just a experiment. I feel like it might do something. Ill post picks when its installed and share my results.

This is good info btw, Thank you. I don't expect much but it cant hurt trying it. best thing that could happen is it works perfectly.

At least when I was thinking about it I was on the right path. The only reason I have that duct running like that is for the cold air flow.

Also its really just a short ram, the only thing cold air intake about it is that duct. Other than that im gonna be getting a heat shield for it because it is closer to the engine than what I really want. So if anyone can point me to a good one for a 3 inch that would be great. It look me long enough to find the vacuum lines lol.

Okay, it's installed in the car. I am having issues with the idling when the MAF sensor is plugged in. For now until I get a fix its alright to run without a MAF sensor right? I assume the ECU has a default setting incase the sensor goes. For me, it runs the CAI awesome. I'm going to be posting a new thread soon with pics. Any help on that idling thing would be awesome ( I already cleaned the sensor with crc. Thanks guys!