TPMS relearn?

I just read through some of the user manual and noticed that you can put the car into TPMS relearn mode, but you still need a tool to walk around the car and trigger each sensor. Has anyone tried and found that letting air out of each tire works to make it learn new sensors? I'll need to get a set of winter wheels together soon so I'm trying to find out if I need to buy a tool to go with the sensors I need to buy.

Here is what I just received from one of the TPMS dealers:

Hi Greg,

Thank you for contacting TPMS Direct. I have just added OE TPMS for the 2013 Spark to TPMSDIRECT.com.

2013 Chevrolet Spark

OE TPMS Manufacturer: Schrader-Bridgeport

Schrader pt#: 28206

Link to the sensor: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Chevrolet_Spark_TPMS_Sensor_p/9153-95.htm

Price: $64.50 per sensor

The Schrader 28206 TPMS sensor requires an ATEQ VT5 TPMS trigger tool. The VT5 enables the vehicle to recognize a newly installed sensor. For more information on the VT5, please go to: http://www.tpmsdirect.com/ATEQ_VT5_TPMS_One_Button_Trigger_Tool_p/1589-13.htm

Regards,

Steven

TPMS Direct

• 1 month later...

It may not be a requirement, but I didn't want to take chances so I just bought it. TPMS is not going to go away so I should be able to use it for a while. Even though it says for GM vehicles, the place I bought it says it works with the Schrader devices and these are pretty much universal devices so it should wake up every sensor that is on the same frequencies.

Now other cars go through a ritual where you can let air out of the tires until it trips the sensor warning, then the car knows where the sensor is located. We might be able to do that with our Sparks, but again it does not mention this is the user manual like the other cars that include this feature. Need to order wheels and get my snows sorted, been snowing the past few days without any buildup but it's clear it is nearly time.

• 1 month later...

The above parts seem to work properly. Procedure is as follows:

turn key to run position, set multifunction display to tire relearn and hold reset button, horn beeps twice

Go to front left (USA driver side) and hold tool against tire, press activation button if it wakes up the sensor the horn will beep

move to front right tire and repeat tool activation

move to rear right tire and repeat

move to rear left tire and repeat after success the horn will beep two more times

Go for a drive to make sure the TPMS light does not come on, if it does then you need to check tire pressure and maybe do the relearn again.