As mentioned in other threads i have been having the issue of the AC being intermittent and blowing warm at idle. Some of the parts were replaced under the satisfaction program but my dealer refused to go any further.

After further discussion last Friday with the dealer they agreed to call GM to see if they would replace the compressor and the rest of the parts. GM agreed too so the parts are ordered and I will be contacted when they arrive to make an appointment.

I will keep this thread updated as we go.

One of the things I have discovered is it helps a lot if you pull the cabin filter. It's like adding an extra fan speed. Not only does it circulate more air the air that is reaching you is colder because it's blowing harder.

I replaced the original thinking maybe it was dirty but it didn't help any. I am wondering if just getting the regular filter without the charcoal would allow better airflow. I am going to try that next.

One of the things I have discovered is it helps a lot if you pull the cabin filter. It's like adding an extra fan speed. Not only does it circulate more air the air that is reaching you is colder because it's blowing harder.

I replaced the original thinking maybe it was dirty but it didn't help any. I am wondering if just getting the regular filter without the charcoal would allow better airflow. I am going to try that next.

That's a good idea if you are not in dusty environment.

I still have a/c issues even after all the supposed fixes. I'm going to bring mine back in after vacation to have the A/C and seat tearing fixed.

I would be worried about the long term effects of removing the filter. Short term gains may cause long term problems like coating of the heater core and ac evaporator fins with dirt can be the same as a dirty cabin air filter and much harder to remèdy, changing the filter is easier than cleaning the fins off.

I would try finding a less restrictive cabin air filter.

I would be worried about the long term effects of removing the filter. Short term gains may cause long term problems like coating of the heater core and ac evaporator fins with dirt can be the same as a dirty cabin air filter and much harder to remèdy, changing the filter is easier than cleaning the fins off.

I would try finding a less restrictive cabin air filter.

Just another gimmick, the cabin air filter, cleans the air that flows into the car. What happens if you drive with your windows open? Or better yet , with the moon roof open, or a convertible, with the top down. Unfiltered air. Driving without a filter wouldn't cause any problems, we've been doing it for years, up until around 2000, or so. ;)

Not all cars come with them. The 2013 Volt's have the exact same filter box as ours but Chevy didn't install a filter in it. When I ordered the filter from Amazon there were numerous reviews from Volt owners who were adding them.

Plus on ours, the air whether front outside or on recirculate always passes through the filter. I always run my air on recirculate but it is still passing through the filter. Makes no sense.

You do realize that cars run without cabin filters for at least 50 years right? In fact, this is the first car I have owned that had one and I am 49 years old.

Heaters and evaporators were also much larger back in the old days and had R12 as the medium for heat exchange in the AC units which is much more efficient than what is used today. I have found leaf debris on my cabin filter in other cars, what if that had gotten into the ac evaporator or heater core? It's more important to keep those fins clean now than it used to be.

Edited by Angrybird12

I tried it the other day, and it actually did make a difference. My only problem was, when I pulled the filter, it did have some leaf debris on it, as mentioned above, along with some microscopic junk in the paper pleats, so after an hour or so, I replaced the filter. But it is an avenue to explore, possibly a more transparent filter, that would let more air through. With a little ingenuity, something could even be made up to trap the particles, nothing elaborate, even a piece of thin foam material that is used in window air conditioners. Something to think about.