I have 125 miles on my 2015 Chevy Spark 1LT. Today, I noticed that while braking and sometimes accelerating, I experience an awful clicking/rattling sound that seems to come from the back of the car.

The sound is most pronounced when I put the car in park. It goes away a little bit (but not completely) when I put the E brake on.

I was able to record the sound (but can't attach it here). It is an M4A file. I am going to take it to the shop at the dealership tonight to have it looked at. If anyone would like me to email the file to them, I'd be happy to do so. I just don't want to get to the dealership and be surprised; I'd like to be prepared for what it is.

Not sure if this topic should have went in the Engine and Driveline topic; please forgive me.

I have 125 miles on my 2015 Chevy Spark 1LT. Today, I noticed that while braking and sometimes accelerating, I experience an awful clicking/rattling sound that seems to come from the back of the car.

The sound is most pronounced when I put the car in park. It goes away a little bit (but not completely) when I put the E brake on.

I was able to record the sound (but can't attach it here). It is an M4A file. I am going to take it to the shop at the dealership tonight to have it looked at. If anyone would like me to email the file to them, I'd be happy to do so. I just don't want to get to the dealership and be surprised; I'd like to be prepared for what it is.

Not sure if this topic should have went in the Engine and Driveline topic; please forgive me.

Hello Maria,

Please keep us posted on your dealer visit today. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. As you may know, we're here to offer additional assistance if needed.

Looking forward to your update!

Jasmine F

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 1 month later...

The car is brand new and basically everything is covered under warranty unless you ran over something and damaged something underneath the car. And if you did don't say you did, say its been making that sound since you got it but its been getting worse... youll be fine. :)

As usual..Skids it right on the mark. All years of the spark and all versions have had some owners report that same issue...I'm sure many would like to know the cause..so let us know when you have that checked out..K?

• 2 months later...

HI I have the same problem with my chevy spark 2011 35000 km but the noise is coming from the front,I checked the pads they are half way but noticed that the discs have a 1 mm step on both sides.

I think that i need to change the discs.

any suggestions

thanks

Godwin

The 1mm step between edge and center of the rotor sounds normal as the Spark rotors are not very good quality and probably softer cast iron than quality 3rd party rotors.

I too have that little 1mm lip at the rotor edges where the pads do not make contact.

One member had a noise issue at the front brake area and discovered the rotor was completely defective and the contact area of the rotor had actually cracked and worn through to the inner venting area exposing a hole..so first off check both rotors. It could also be loose caliper slider pins or bearings or a universal joint making noise..those are the areas I would start with before taking it in to a garage. Front end noise without visible damage can be hard for a user to accurately diagnose.