The amount of power required for the DRL's is so minimal the alternator offers almost no xtra resistance and no engine power lost that can be measured. What can, however be measured is that when you disable the DRL's function, your life or body structure as it relates to bones and soft tissue, may be badly damaged or terminated should you pass someone on a 2 lane or etc and because they expect to see shape and/or light, well, you get my drift...also after you get wheeled out of the hospital, you may find that the insurance company will not pay for your issues and are suing for the other driver since he/she/LGT says they could not see you as most drivers subconsciously notice the expected DRL's. Once you are able to read and speak again, a DA my instruct a cop to visit you to explain why you are being charged since DRL's are mandatory in most states and even if not mandatory, knowingly disabling a safety device or other mods are one major thing of many insurance companies look for when settling a big claim. Another big one they look for is improperly installed HID light units in a standard reflector...'Nuff said?

I hear all your points. But why did they add a switch to models after 2013 to turn them off after startup each time? If someone with a 2014 turns them off would they to charged for disabling them?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/3/2015 at 6:38 PM, Skids said:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to be more visible to other cars...??? I put brighter bulbs and exhaust after I almost got crushed just to be more noticeable

Tired of my Battery dying every time I sit in my car on breaks at work.  There just really is no reason for the RUNNING lights to be on when the car is NOT running

17 hours ago, RavenClaw said:

Tired of my Battery dying every time I sit in my car on breaks at work.  There just really is no reason for the RUNNING lights to be on when the car is NOT running

Are using your parking brake?  I don't have my Spark yet, but on every car I've had with DRLs they do not light up if the parking brake is on.