While driving yesterday, I saw a Lemonade (yellow) Spark coming from the opposite direction.

Something seemed a little wrong with it, and then I realized that there were no Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on the car.

So I'm wondering if that person is a member of the forum, and how he or she did it, along with some other questions.

Has anyone else figured out a way to turn off the DRL without any side effects?

I thought about removing the low beam wire and running a relay from the parking light to the low beam. So no DRL but light come on with parking and headlights on.

That's a good idea, I wonder then if you could run the low beam wire to a set of LED strips to use as DRLs. Do you know if the Spark uses a reduced voltage on the low beams for the DRLs? I know some cars use the high beams at a reduced voltage for DRLs.

They can be turned off by tuning the switch to off on the stalk but they turn back on when you restart the car. The bulbs are so easy to change and they last so long anyway it never bothered me to have them on.

My 2014 1LT has a off position but it does not turn anything off.

Edited by Angrybird12

The left hand stalk has a knob on the end of it. Turn knob controls the lights. It stays in the auto position. Under auto is a power icon. Turn that knob back to the power icon and it shuts the drl's off. It also will turn the headlights on and off. Now the manual says it will turn everything off but the drl's but on mine it turns them off.

Edited by Ray Dockrey

The left hand stalk has a knob on the end of it. Turn knob controls the lights. It stays in the auto position. Under auto is a power icon. Turn that knob back to the power icon and it shuts the drl's off. It also will turn the headlights on and off. Now the manual says it will turn everything off but the drl's but on mine it turns them off.

Maybe because mine has the dealer installed fog light kit on it. It may have the wrong switch. My stalk does not have an auto position, just off, parking lights and headlights, turn to off and the DRLs are on and the auto headlights are active, turn to park lights the DRLs go off and the park lights come on, turn to headlights on and you get headlights and parking lights. No way to turn everything off.

post-1528-0-66834300-1433640515_thumb.jp

Edited by Angrybird12

Yes, mine is the LT2 with the factory fogs. To the original question, I wasn't aware that the 2013 didn't have auto headlights. I thought that was pretty much standard on GM cars. When I went from my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, which had them, to my 2009 PT Cruiser, which didn't, I was forever forgetting to turn them on.

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to not having auto lights.

I went from a Chevy HHR that had them to the 2013 Spark that doesn't have them.

With the DRLs on the Spark being so bright, I was constantly forgetting to turn the lights on.

Maybe because mine has the dealer installed fog light kit on it. It may have the wrong switch. My stalk does not have an auto position, just off, parking lights and headlights, turn to off and the DRLs are on and the auto headlights are active, turn to park lights the DRLs go off and the park lights come on, turn to headlights on and you get headlights and parking lights. No way to turn everything off.

This stalk is identical to the stalk in my '13 2LT, with factory fogs......

I've been searching and my kind is the only kit they list for the dealer installed fog lights and it is listed for both the 13 and 14 year models... I wonder if I switched it out to a 2014 2LT stalk I would get the ability to turn them off?

Almost all cars on the road today have DRL and this is what drivers subconsciously scan for when looking for another vehicle coming in the opposite direction, like in passing on a 2 lane road. In a head on or similar crash, if visibility becomes an issue in a claim dispute the driver with no DRL or one that has disabled the function could very likely be held responsible should he or she still be alive. Many areas make DRL legally mandatory if equipped. Is it really worth it that much to disable that function?

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed, I don't know why you want to turn them off. Save bulb life? they'll probably last you about 4 years normally and are $20 to replace..? like I said before just got in a huge fender bender where a larger SUV didn't notice me at all and I guess didn't feel me either squished me up against the curb nothing I could do about it. After the $11k worth of body damage repairs I spent about $300 to make the car more visible with super bright lights (especially for during the day) and loud exhaust (loud pipes save lives). Still want to do more probably reflective tape on the roof rails or something. If it was a heavy duty truck or semi or anything I'd probably injured or worse.

I have a 2015 Spark. I can turn my DRLs off with switch on end of stalk. It is a momentary switch that returns to Auto but will leave the lights off when actuated. My reason is for more power to the starter when starting, more power to the windows when rolling up or down and also better gas milage. I am averaging 41.7 mpg at this time. (averaging all fill ups). Most of that is in town (about 2/3rds). Have 3300 miles on car so far. Reason # 3, if you think about it, it takes energy to produce LIGHT. Generating energy takes FUEL. However, at times I will leave the driving lights on, such as on a 2 lane road. SAFETY FIRST!

• 3 months later...

hello, i have the 2010 LT european model.. and they have the light sensor and alarm led.. but my light switch doesn't have the auto position.. any one know how the number of switch?

best regards!

I'm not familiar with the European models, but the "Auto" position was added to the 2014 Sparks stalk, its purpose is to activate all the lights, head, tail, license plate, etc. as daylight turns to darkness. The purpose of this position, is to disable this feature, should you choose to work the lights manually. US models previous to 2014, didn't have this feature. The sensor is for interior lighting.

• 8 months later...

The amount of power required for the DRL's is so minimal the alternator offers almost no xtra resistance and no engine power lost that can be measured. What can, however be measured is that when you disable the DRL's function, your life or body structure as it relates to bones and soft tissue, may be badly damaged or terminated should you pass someone on a 2 lane or etc and because they expect to see shape and/or light, well, you get my drift...also after you get wheeled out of the hospital, you may find that the insurance company will not pay for your issues and are suing for the other driver since he/she/LGT says they could not see you as most drivers subconsciously notice the expected DRL's. Once you are able to read and speak again, a DA my instruct a cop to visit you to explain why you are being charged since DRL's are mandatory in most states and even if not mandatory, knowingly disabling a safety device or other mods are one major thing of many insurance companies look for when settling a big claim. Another big one they look for is improperly installed HID light units in a standard reflector...'Nuff said?

Edited by Retired old Gearhead