AC won't turn on (no light/compressor/anything) after recall service

Has anyone else encountered this? I've browsed through the forums, and I haven't found anything similar yet.

In short: AC was working last summer. Took my 2013 Spark in for other recall services this winter, and they did the 13434 AC service while it was there. Didn't try to use the AC again until recently (getting hot here), and the AC button doesn't even work.

No AC button light, the compressor doesn't seem to kick on, and the air is warm, warm, warm.

Checked various fuses, but everything seems to be in order. Even tried adding freon, as I've seen mentioned elsewhere, but that didn't do anything either.

Tried taking it to a different dealer, but they wouldn't even look at it (since the other dealership checked off the 13434 recall service) without a $140 service fee.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by cosmooo

If the light within the A/C button does not come on, but the A/C compressor comes on, it is a bulb failure. In your case the A/C compressor does not come on so my best guess is the switch itself is defective. I would have the dealer look at that and is a warranty item. If you are past warranty a garage that has some electronic/electrical knowledge could easily check that out for you and replace the switch with an aftermarket unit.

NOTE:There is a replaceable A/C relay in the engine compartment large fusebox that, if it has failed will also cause the A/C not come on. The location is marked on the enclosed image.post-1288-0-21334900-1433152257_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Update:

We finally managed to get it to the dealer. Brought it in a couple of weeks ago, and they ordered some parts and told us to come back a week later to install.

We did, and they did...and it still doesn't work. It's been at the dealership for a week undergoing diagnostic or some such thing. The dealers appear to be stumped, and we have no idea when we're getting our car back.

They did give us a loaner...it's not as easy to parallel park on a crowded city street, but at least the AC works.... :\

Any ideas what we can expect if they just can't manage to fix it?

Edited by cosmooo
  • 5 years later...