CVT shifting issues and new TSB PI1309

This is the way it is worded. My VIN fell under the program:

The customer satisfaction program is for the air conditioning system so it will provide a fix for your concerns about the intermittent cold air.

I will mention this at my next oil change. Thanks
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

58 days later I got my spark back!   It seems to be doing a TON better.  No more jerking when I come to a stop, no more of the transmission not knowing when to shift, accelerates smoother.

I have previously posted about a concern I had about the CVT sometimes not resetting to the lowest ratio at a stopped condition, this made it very sluggish pulling out. I contacted Chevrolet Customer

I have taken a few road trips and been driving around town quite a bit since the software update and it works great. Its been in the upper 80's and Lower 90's the last few days and using the AC it sti

Posted Images

I got my car back to. The dealer to get the tsb on the trans done they are also fixing my ac under the campaign and also updating the my link because after the car is shut off and turned back on it also goes back to a am station I was put in a rental and said they had all the parts for the ac and it would be ready tomorrow . Very happy with dealer they were aware of the ac issues as they have fixed many with great results .

Update I got my car back today wow ! What a difference the update to the cvt has made drives like a different car very happy . The ac is also very cold now very happy with the car again as for the radio they said it was upto date and to let them know if I have anymore trouble with it .

I mentioned this issue when I took it in for an oil change last Friday (July 10th). The gentleman who helped me said they cannot do anything about it because it's not throwing a code; this is the third time I've been told this despite it clearly has issues, which are more notable when the A/C is running.

Did you give him the TSB number and have him look it up? You won't get a code.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We're having issues with our CVT (2016). It seems to bog down when you're trying to accelerate from a full stop or if you are turning across traffic (not good). Took it up to our dealer today and he said that it was normal and the transmission is made to conform to the primary driver way of driving. I told him that I didn't even agree with that crap but there was basically nothing I could do since there wasn't any TSB's or recalls on it. He said I was welcome to go get a 2nd opinion. We've only got 500 miles on it too. I even pointed out a TSB that I found here and he said since it was a different transmission model that he couldn't do anything.

Sounds like the typical issue many CVT's have with being slow to or not drop to first gear..so you may be starting off in a higher gear resulting in the "bog down" due to lack of power at the under 2Krpm in second gear start. Jatco-7 tranny's used in the 2014 &'15 spark had this issue..not sure if the '16 uses Jatco anymore but most CVT's for small cars use a similar design..I'm sure we'll be seeing recalls for programming etc for the 2016 similar to the previous models. I am not a fan of the CVT's with the small additional mechanical gearbox attached designed for small cars..way over the top complex..only used because they are more fuel efficient since the car runs at lower RPM's and are cheaper to make that a traditional 4+ speed auto tranny.

Sounds like the 2016 s are doing the same as my 2014 won't start out in its lowest gear unless you come to a complete stop take your foot off the brake and then the car will start out in its lowest gear . This issue is really turning me off I can't seem to get any dealerships to listen they just say it's normal ,sorry it's not normal its actually dangerous sitting in an intersection and trying to cross traffic and the car takes off and bogs down I guess it's time to call gm and make a complaint

Sounds like the 2016 s are doing the same as my 2014 won't start out in its lowest gear unless you come to a complete stop take your foot off the brake and then the car will start out in its lowest gear . This issue is really turning me off I can't seem to get any dealerships to listen they just say it's normal ,sorry it's not normal its actually dangerous sitting in an intersection and trying to cross traffic and the car takes off and bogs down I guess it's time to call gm and make a complaint

Hello spark2014,

Sounds like you're having a tough time with your Spark and we are very sorry for the frustration this has caused. If you'd like, we can certainly get in touch with the dealership on your behalf for further clarification. Feel free to send us a direct message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and the name of your dealership if this is a route you'd like to take. We're happy to help and hope to hear from you soon.

Jasmine

Chevrolet Customer Care

Mine only bogs down if I floor it right away, if i give it gas progressively it picks up just fine, with no issues. In almost sure it's the "traction control" cutting down torque and not the transmission.

Edited by Mr.tozzi
  • 1 month later...

I have the '14 Spark LS, Automatic, ~36k. I, too, have the problem of slow acceleration from a full stop. I was able to duplicate the issue, whenever the outdoor tempertature is about 80°F or higher. After a test-drive with an advisor & a call back, I'm told this is NOT normal. Apparently, the transmission is working properly but, the knock sensor was going off, causing the slow acceleration. ... long story short the pistons might need to be replaced.

I have the '14 Spark LS, Automatic, ~36k. I, too, have the problem of slow acceleration from a full stop. I was able to duplicate the issue, whenever the outdoor tempertature is about 80°F or higher. After a test-drive with an advisor & a call back, I'm told this is NOT normal. Apparently, the transmission is working properly but, the knock sensor was going off, causing the slow acceleration. ... long story short the pistons might need to be replaced.

Hey there GuyFromMars,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing acceleration concerns in your Spark. I understand you're currently working with your dealership, however, we'd like to offer an extra layer of assistance on our end. If this interests you, please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, and the dealership you're working with to move forward.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.

Chevrolet Customer Care

The CVT tranny, by not dropping to first gear will have you start off in a next higher gear..more strain on the engine with too much gas and not enough air drawn in at low RPM's for a clean combustion..that will build up carbon resulting in pre-ignition..(knocking)..have them check it all out but sounds like the improper gear drop down or shift sequence CVT malfunction is the cause..Not that the following will help you in your current car, but never buy a CVT powered vehicle unless it has a big, hi torque engine that a CVT requires, unlike the spark that will not work well with the current 'Jatco' cvt unit.

>>Hey Skids! Sounds like you had the recall stuff done by someone who knows how to do it properly. I also know that you are knowledgeable with the workings of the Spark as well as electronics and mechanical stuff, so you know what to look for and get it done right..many mechanics are just getting up to speed on the huge amount of different & new CVT's that are now common in many cars from small to big and there is a huge variance between CVT's integrated with small engines and and the bigger engines...glad it worked out for you and a properly manufactured and configured CVT not only saves on gas but can actually increase your oil and engine life due to the lower RPM's.

CVT's are designed to work using torque, so since the Spark has low torque the unit installed is a bit more complex with a secondary gearbox and 2 drop belts to compensate. While in Freeport, GBI, we sometime rent tiny scooters..about 50cc with CVT's and they run great even on sandy beaches..rental owner does not like us to run them on the beach..but we wash them down before returning them..but ya..they work great because the small cvt with 1+variable ratios use the bike's hi RPM's because..well..50cc 2stroke not much torque there...OK..TMI..'Nuff said..

The CVT tranny, by not dropping to first gear will have you start off in a next higher gear..more strain on the engine with too much gas and not enough air drawn in at low RPM's for a clean combustion..that will build up carbon resulting in pre-ignition..(knocking)..have them check it all out but sounds like the improper gear drop down or shift sequence CVT malfunction is the cause..Not that the following will help you in your current car, but never buy a CVT powered vehicle unless it has a big, hi torque engine that a CVT requires, unlike the spark that will not work well with the current 'Jatco' cvt unit.

Thanks for the info. Been trying to educate myself on CVT, so I can make sure my dealer actually fixes the problem. To be honest, I've not been impressed. The cashier at my dealer had a spark and almost demanded that they buy it back, on account of bucking back and forth. They aparently fixed it, but the spark seems tp have too many engine/tranny problems.