Chevy Spark Intake PROBLEM, please help...

I removed the air box on my spark Ls and installed a cone in place. It would be considered a short ram intake, maf sensor still in same place. Ever since my car has been having been having issues starting. I'll have to go back and forth for 5-10 min before it actually starts. When it rains, sometimes it'll shut off while idling in neutral. This has been happening for a few weeks now and is getting to the point where it happens everyday. Any opinions on what could be happening?

Is your check engine light turning on? a cheap filter may have sucked in dirt and all that and clogged your intake and everything else. I'd try putting the original stuff back on and see if that fixes it. if not good chance everything is clogged up, take it all off and check inside pipes and everything if theres any sign of dirt or dust in there you're going to have clean it all out. including your intake and throttle body.

I I highly doubt it sucked in enough dirt to clog something up plus you said it started right after the install. My guess would be the MAF is reading wrong. If it wasn't hooked up or not connected good it would set the check engine light. But I have heard of overly oiled filters can coat the wiring in the MAF and cause it to give false readings and causing issues like you describe.

I would check to make sure you didn't miss something during the install. If everything is correct then go back to the stock setup and see if it still gives you issues. If it does then you can buy spray cleaner that is safe for cleaning the MAF. I guess there is the chance you damaged it in some way as the wires in it are pretty then. You should be able to tell when you inspect it.

Edited by Ray Dockrey

I removed the air box on my spark Ls and installed a cone in place. It would be considered a short ram intake, maf sensor still in same place. Ever since my car has been having been having issues starting. I'll have to go back and forth for 5-10 min before it actually starts. When it rains, sometimes it'll shut off while idling in neutral. This has been happening for a few weeks now and is getting to the point where it happens everyday. Any opinions on what could be happening?

The MAS is part of the airbox and attached to the tube where the air exits the box..all one piece. So, if you removed the airbox you have no connected MAS (mass airflow sensor) and will run into all kinds of starting, driving and stalling issues. Here's the MAS location pix.post-1288-0-84121800-1429349247_thumb.jp

The MAS is part of the airbox and attached to the tube where the air exits the box..all one piece. So, if you removed the airbox you have no connected MAS (mass airflow sensor) and will run into all kinds of starting, driving and stalling issues. Here's the MAS location pix.attachicon.gif2014 ENGINE Spark LS CVT.jpg

Every model specific air intake has a provision for the MAF sensor, you just remove it from the stock intake and reinstall it on the new one. My Camaro is like that.

Edited by Angrybird12

We kind of rigged it because of spacing issues to where we cut off it flush to the box and stuck on the intake (the cone from advanced 50$ starts with a S, I can't remember the name) the maf is still there then cone 2-3" down the line. My buddy has been saying the maf is reading wrong because theres not enough pipe and its pulling too much air