• 2 weeks later...

That's great... Until someone hacks your car. If it hasn't been done, I'm sure someone will come up with a way to hack into the car through the Onstar interface with a local radio (over powering the normal radio signals). Makes it very easy to car-jack you when the thieves can hack the car and turn the motor off and unlock the doors whenever they want. Call me paranoid but I do know people who hack these kinds of things for fun. Once the info is out there the criminals can move in to use it as they please.

That's great... Until someone hacks your car. If it hasn't been done, I'm sure someone will come up with a way to hack into the car through the Onstar interface with a local radio (over powering the normal radio signals). Makes it very easy to car-jack you when the thieves can hack the car and turn the motor off and unlock the doors whenever they want. Call me paranoid but I do know people who hack these kinds of things for fun. Once the info is out there the criminals can move in to use it as they please.

I see your concern however.. I am more concerned about say hitting a dear than having my car hacked here in sleepy town USA.

Onstar can be a real life saver since it can call for help even if you are not able to call. I'm just concerned about the features they've added that allow you to unlock the doors from your phone, and start the engine. After you hack around enough stopping the engine is certainly something that a hacker could do, I know Onstar can turn the ignition off on some vehicles which is useful if the vehicle is stolen. Unlocking the doors certainly makes it easier to steal things out of the car if it is hacked. I doubt anyone is going to bother with a Spark, but the integration really bothers me.

That's what it is rated to do. Flip the meter over to the instant mileage mode and you'll see why. Driving in 5th at 35mph and I'm showing 40 to 60mpg, but from a stop you get down around 10mpg while you are accelerating. If you could be on a flat road with no stops at 35mph you would be able to average above 40mpg. If you have a manual transmission then you can try skipping gears, like 1st to 3rd to 5th which will save some fuel.

Onstar can be a real life saver since it can call for help even if you are not able to call. I'm just concerned about the features they've added that allow you to unlock the doors from your phone, and start the engine. After you hack around enough stopping the engine is certainly something that a hacker could do, I know Onstar can turn the ignition off on some vehicles which is useful if the vehicle is stolen. Unlocking the doors certainly makes it easier to steal things out of the car if it is hacked. I doubt anyone is going to bother with a Spark, but the integration really bothers me.

Only once you realise it is gone :0 Theives will figure away around it

The fuel I am using is 10% ethanol and I just hit 41mpg. How did you post screenshot I am on iPad

Two ways that I have found.

1. When you click on the reply button, also click on more reply options. You can upload a photo that way.

2. You can also upload it somewhere if you have a photo sharing capability and than click on the image below the happy face (it looks like a tree) and paste the link to the photo in there.