Wheel Clearance from front Strut

Hi everyone. I have a euro model Spark (2010) and I am looking to buy some aftermarket wheels and tires (14-15" max). To that point, I've gone and test-fitted a few different wheels with different offsets and the wheels are all way too wide - when I jack up the car to test-fit the wheels, the tire goes underneath the bottom part of the front strut (the spring seat) and If I lower the car down I risk the shock resting on the top of the tire. (Specs of the wheels I tried - 15x6 ET 38 with 195/50/15 tires).

I noticed, however, that even the stock wheel (4.5J ET 45 155/80/13 tire) is pretty close to the spring seat.

My question is - will it be safe to purchase wheels that go underneath the spring seat?

I see people in the U.S. running 205/40/17 with 40 offset and it's making me think that it would be okay to have the rim and tire go undeneath the spring seat.

I would appreciate any help.

This is what I am referring to - I found the picture from a SRT forum.

The 195/50/15 ET38 wheel I tried on looked similar to what the picture shows (although not to that extreme). This is the spring seat/perch that I am referring to. I am wondering if over bigger bumps in the road the tire will hit the spring seat.

• 5 months later...

Hi ive read your conversation here...i was about to get 205/40/17 et 38 the mags is 17/7.5 will there he a problem with this? Pls enlighten me cause ive seen bluer101 have the same specs with this. Thanks!

Edited by jingsparky