dash removal, anyone done this?

thinking about putting some bigger speakers in, but still want it to look as stock as possible, dont need to give the bad guys a reason to break my window.. I figured I may need cut the holes a bit bigger and anyone whos replaced their speakers knows its pretty tight in there, barely got the replacements back in, so using tools to cut cleanly would be a challenge..

Doing such a complicated job why dont you add rear speakers on the tray instead it will be much easier or you can add door speakers by making fibre housing for them.

No, never add speakers in the rear if you want correct sound music! Who stands with their back to a concert?

There is no need to upgrade the speaker size in the front - just buy quality speakers with speakers and a quality amp to power the speakers.

No, never add speakers in the rear if you want correct sound music! Who stands with their back to a concert?

There is no need to upgrade the speaker size in the front - just buy quality speakers with speakers and a quality amp to power the speakers.

Not necessarily true, even at a concert, there is ambient sound all around you, particularly bass tones, that are very omnidirectional. Your theory assumes that if you had your back facing the stage at a concert, you wouldn't hear it. In everyday life situations you are surrounded by sound, just give a listen to a good quality 5.1 or 7.1 home theater surround system, you are totally immersed in sound. Speaker placement is also important, along with crossover frequencies. But we are dealing with a Spark, lots of room for improvement, including rear speakers, especially when the size constraints are so limited.

Not necessarily true, even at a concert, there is ambient sound all around you, particularly bass tones, that are very omnidirectional. Your theory assumes that if you had your back facing the stage at a concert, you wouldn't hear it. In everyday life situations you are surrounded by sound, just give a listen to a good quality 5.1 or 7.1 home theater surround system, you are totally immersed in sound. Speaker placement is also important, along with crossover frequencies. But we are dealing with a Spark, lots of room for improvement, including rear speakers, especially when the size constraints are so limited.

You can't compare home stereo and 5.1/7.1 with car audio. Music is recorded in stereo = two channels, left and right. So it is not meant to be played in double stereo, as the staging and depth completely disappears.

With correctly placed speakers in the front, you can hear exactly were the instruments and singers are, and you should feel surrounded by the deep bass notes. Hence why it is in the back.

My logic is not flawed - this is the way correct stereo and playback of music is defined, and how Sound Quality (SQ) contests and rules are defined.

For more info about the correct way to build a fantastic sounding system (not just loud and bass), here is a more in depth book from EMMA:

http://www.emmanet.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SQ-Judgebook-2014-v1-01.pdf

I can understand but what is factory fitted is always gonna be the best if you remove the dash there are gonna be some or the other problems squeaky noise and stuff because I had to remove a part of my dash to change the indicator stalk and since then getting squeaky noise from my dash.

Interesting, but I am more interested in just hearing some decent sounds while driving, I don't spend enough time in the car to get to deep into it. Most of the funding goes into the home system. :)

The thing with the sparks front speaker placement is that its on the dash do its not so great and preferred to keep the balance more to the rear it sounds better try playing hotel California and see hoe it sounds.

Everybody has their preferences, and that is fine, my only point was, that the human ear hears more than left and right. I probably listen to Howard Stern in the car, more than anything else, that is the main reason I subscribe to satellite, and for the spoken word I don't need an extravagant system. If I listened primarily to music in the car, I would be looking at improving the system also.

even with $200 pair of 4" speakers they're still 4" speakers you're not getting much bass out of them, and mids are menial.. plus price doesnt dictate quality, best headphones i ever bought cost $7. and you have to put nice speakers in the back and front not just one or the other. and the back I measured I should be able to put 6" components with out butchering everything back there. I'm hoping 5.25" components will fit in the front with the tweeters in the panels where the manual mirror adjusters would be in an LS. I've already removed the stock ones and replaced them with very clean clarions and a sub, but just cant get the full sound between them.

even with $200 pair of 4" speakers they're still 4" speakers you're not getting much bass out of them, and mids are menial.. plus price doesnt dictate quality, best headphones i ever bought cost $7. and you have to put nice speakers in the back and front not just one or the other. and the back I measured I should be able to put 6" components with out butchering everything back there. I'm hoping 5.25" components will fit in the front with the tweeters in the panels where the manual mirror adjusters would be in an LS. I've already removed the stock ones and replaced them with very clean clarions and a sub, but just cant get the full sound between them.

Of course you are not going to get decent bass from a 4" - they are not supposed to play bass! Highpass filter on your amp for speakers, and ~160hz depending on speakers and amp. My DLS 4" component has done very well, but actually this weekend i am making 6.5" adapters for my doors. Simply because the placement in by the window is bad, and I refuse to destroy my sound with speakers in the rear. I am aiming to compete in SQ-contests this year, so it has to be done right to stand a chance :-)

lol its all good. I have a home theater system too, but live in an apartment building so out of respect for the neighbors it just collects dust.. 12" klipsch sub rattles the walls..

in this little spark if you're at least jamming some good tunes that sound great you're not so concerned with how slowly it accelerates because youre enjoying the ride

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the body shop had to replace the dash after my accident.. took em 2 days.. so i'm guessing it's not the easiest. I did notice theres bolts inside the front speaker holes screwing it into the front windshiled area. ended up just using a dremel. you can fit 5.25" speakers with the tabs for screwing in cut off. I put clarions in, and you can fit 6.5" in the back screwing into only 2 of the stock holes. thats a much easier switch.