oil light flashing, check engine light on

I have a 2014 spark, 23,000 miles on it when i first got the car the check engine light started turning on i had it to the dealership 3 different times they had no idea what was wrong with it. I havent had any trouble for a solid 6 months until recently the check engine light comes on in the mornings but usually by afternoon goes off. Today after driving for 130 miles I stopped for gas as Im pulling out of the station my car stalls out on me. Immediately the check engine light came on and the oil light started blinking when i arrived home checked the oil and its fine. Anyone else having this problem?? Thankfully i have a warrenty, this spark has been such a headache for me -_-

I have a 2014 spark, 23,000 miles on it when i first got the car the check engine light started turning on i had it to the dealership 3 different times they had no idea what was wrong with it. I havent had any trouble for a solid 6 months until recently the check engine light comes on in the mornings but usually by afternoon goes off. Today after driving for 130 miles I stopped for gas as Im pulling out of the station my car stalls out on me. Immediately the check engine light came on and the oil light started blinking when i arrived home checked the oil and its fine. Anyone else having this problem?? Thankfully i have a warrenty, this spark has been such a headache for me -_-

Hey Cody,

Very sorry for this! We would be happy to look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us a private message and include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 chevy spark 1Lt auto with 52,000 miles on it. Same issue happened yesterday. It was cold out, I pulled out of my subdivision and just down the road it happened--the traction control light and CEL light blinking. I pulled over to figure out what flashing CEL might mean and in doing so I turned it off. Before I turned it off, the engine was jumping real hard. I thought it was going to jump out of the car. So I turned it back on and it seemed to be ok. My manual said to drive slow and don't accelerate hard. Two miles down the road it couldnt make it up this large hill and stalled out. So I called someone to come switch cars with me as my commute is 45 minutes. When they took it home they said they couldn't get it to go to third gear/beyond 30 mph. I havent tried it today yet, but I am afraid. After reading all these posts I'm not sure what I should do. I know I need to take it to the dealer, but knowing I am not the only one with this issue, I don't feel I should get the go around.

Any advice would be taken kindly.

I have a 2013 chevy spark 1Lt auto with 52,000 miles on it. Same issue happened yesterday. It was cold out, I pulled out of my subdivision and just down the road it happened--the traction control light and CEL light blinking. I pulled over to figure out what flashing CEL might mean and in doing so I turned it off. Before I turned it off, the engine was jumping real hard. I thought it was going to jump out of the car. So I turned it back on and it seemed to be ok. My manual said to drive slow and don't accelerate hard. Two miles down the road it couldnt make it up this large hill and stalled out. So I called someone to come switch cars with me as my commute is 45 minutes. When they took it home they said they couldn't get it to go to third gear/beyond 30 mph. I havent tried it today yet, but I am afraid. After reading all these posts I'm not sure what I should do. I know I need to take it to the dealer, but knowing I am not the only one with this issue, I don't feel I should get the go around.

Any advice would be taken kindly.

I think taking it to the dealership would be the best option, you're still covered by the 5yr. powertrain warranty, and at the same time you will have a trouble ticket, documenting your problem. If you need assistance, you can contact Customer Care, here on the forum at http://chevysparkforum.com/user/829-chevrolet-customer-care/ and they will provide you with any guidance you may need. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by WaltK
  • 1 year later...

Today my check engine light turned on. I'm just over 23000 miles. I do have an appointment on Saturday with a Chevy dealer. During this appointment I will be having the recall items taken care of.

Does this happen a lot on the Chevy Sparks?

Today my check engine light turned on. I'm just over 23000 miles. I do have an appointment on Saturday with a Chevy dealer. During this appointment I will be having the recall items taken care of.

Hey there aadodge,

Sorry to hear about your recall concerns and please know that we handle these concerns on a case by case basis. Let us know how it goes at the dealership on Saturday and feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the meantime!

Chelsea D.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Happens on all new cars..mostly emission stuff..even a gas cap loose will turn that on..as long as that was the ONLY light on..no big deal..cars idles smoothly? no other performance issues?..then yer good to go to the dealer with a calm mind..'Nuff said..