I apologize in advance as I do not know where this topic would best be placed.

Does anyone else experience hesitant shifting when going from "low" to "high"? During the shift, the car slows down then speeds up as if I hit the gas more when my foot is always in the same position. Also, on three separate occasions, I've lost acceleration while pulling out into traffic with plenty of time to get with the flow. If it was not for the fact that people behind me hit their brakes, there would have been an accident. I've complained to Chevy about this issue and have been told that this is normal operations. Maybe once someone gets injured over it they will think twice.

Any and all help is appreciate. Thank you for your insights.

Robert

Ok, we've got you in the right place. :) Not having a CVT, I really can't comment, outside of the fact that it doesn't sound "normal" to me. We've got people here with CVT's, that can maybe jump in here and comment, although it sounds like an issue your dealership should be dealing with. If you can't get any satisfaction, contact Customer Care, here on the forum, send them a message, and they will guide you from there. You can reach them here http://chevysparkforum.com/user/829-chevrolet-customer-care/ They can be pretty effective. Keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...

I had same issues with my 2014 Spark LT1 (auto)... and found the CURE! It is the gas. I was ready to drop kick this car as I nearly got hit trying to pull out into traffic and when I pressed on the accelerator, it just sat there "to think about it." Well.... I did some research on these small, 4 cyl. engines, and found out that regular gas is not a good choice, regardless of what the owners manual says. Top tier made no difference. I did get a bit better performance using Sunoco... why? I have no clue. But when I put in 91 octane gas... like magic... NO hesitation, very little or any bunny hop at slow speeds, runs MUCH better and better MPG!!!! Try it and see for yourself. Also, you can try adding some Techron gas additive; this too helped. I believe it has to do with very easily clogged injection into the engine... hey, I'm no mechanic... but I can say this worked for my car. Now, I'm back in love with it and avg. mixed driving 39 MPG. LOVE IT!

hey Rod, check out this existing forum thread

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/2185-2014-spark-cvt/

everyones had this that or the other solutions and they probably all work in different ways and i'm not knocking anyone.. but this is what has worked for me with lack of acceleration from a stop.

I have removed both the snorkel and air box resonator, put in a k and n filter, and dumped a bottle of fuel cleaner in the tank. for my set up 87 octane gives you the best off the line acceleration, with 91 being the worst. I did notice though going stock intake 91 was the best for acceleration (as tish mentioned).

these are small engines flooring it will just flood the engine and it will accel even slower then just pushing the gas in a normal manner. also if you dont come to a complete stop for at least a second the tranny doesnt have time to reset to a low gear and also affects you launch. so if youre in traffic give space between you and the car ahead and just roll youll get there like 30 seconds later and save a ton of gas.

also, these cvt trannys take getting used to. give it time pay attention to your rpms and leave your cluster i=on instant mpg it will help you identify optimal driving. It by no means is a race car. and if youre getting on the free way and you have that red light green light thing, let the other guy go first and come to a complete stop youll see a difference. hope this helps some

• 1 month later...

Well... I was wrong... the mid-grade gas APPEARED to resolve the issue. But... what I found out was, that this was done when the weather turned cooler (fall/winter). When we recently had a few 90+ degree days, the hesitation and lurchy behavior returned, even with mid-grade Sunoco in the tank. So it is NOT the gas. Chevy dealer said, like robdotexe in first post... Normal Operation for that vehicle. May try messing with the air filter (K & N)? But it is absurd that you cannot pull into traffic safely with this car. One time was on a side street with cars behind me. Steady flow of traffic down the main street onto which I needed to enter. Sat and waited. Finally an opening and tried to scoot in as I could have with any car I've ever driven, even my old Metro. Well, due to hesitation experienced between giving it gas and the Spark moving enough to enter the street, nearly got slammed. The alternative is to sit and wait for a huge opening, that may not occur for quite some time in heavy traffic areas and just let all the cars behind you start honking and backing up the side street. Really? I believe ANY car should be able to merge or enter traffic, when given ample space, safely or should not be sold. This cannot be "normal" behavior.