Since the Spark car seats are probably all made by the same third party supplier, this could become a common issue with Sparks having the same seat design. Most drivers get into the car without a glance at the upper seat area so maybe others have the beginnings of the same issue that is not noticed. I would think that this would be covered under the general warranty.

I see the same issue on a previous thread...so, this is indeed a common issue!

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/2266-tear-in-leatherette/

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

I've seen this before, on a few different cars, that should be covered by your bumper to bumper, it's a fairly simple fix, they just slide the back off the frame, and slide a new one on. Take it to the dealership, so he can order the right color.

Well thanks to this forum I decided to take a look. Guess what, mine is starting to rip in the same area. I only have 11000 miles and almost 2 years old. This is total BS, I'm almost done with this car. I love my Spark and hate it at the same time.

A90852E5-8889-4A66-9A72-129DB00346ED.jpg

93235517-A85F-4880-BB62-DABA64AB3409.jpg

Edited by bluer101

Well thanks to this forum I decided to take a look. Guess what, mine is starting to rip in the same area. I only have 11000 miles and almost 2 years old. This is total BS, I'm almost done with this car. I love my Spark and hate it at the same time.

That is definitely going to separate, You've put a lot into that car, and these cars are not holding trade value too well. Take it to the dealer and bitch, let them replace the upholstery. It's under warranty, let them deal with it.

That is definitely going to separate, You've put a lot into that car, and these cars are not holding trade value too well. Take it to the dealer and bitch, let them replace the upholstery. It's under warranty, let them deal with it.

Yep, I still have not been back to fix my AC that they screwed up. It's been cooler down here and doing AC work when colder out is not a good thing. The sad part is no one at the dealer has contacted me in the past 6 weeks. Chevy reps on this site have asked but nothing from the dealer even when speaking directly to a higher up after Patsy got involved.

As for the seat it's an easy fix, just order a new upper seat skin. This is what you do if the seat airbag goes off in a accident. I don't want it fixed by an outside upholstery person by stitching it.

I need a good local dealer that is willing to do things right and keep the customer in the loop. Also be up on emerging issues to inform the customer and answer question. I hate going in and knowing more than the dealer or tech, that just gives you a fuzzy feeling.

I don't get these dealers, that are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot. I've probably been back to my dealership about eight times, for the recalls, oil changes, and a few petite things. About a week later I get an email from the dealer asking if everything was done to my satisfaction, with a lot of detailed yes and no questions, and if I am unhappy, please give them a chance to rectify it. The email also states that this questionnaire will be returned to the dealer, and a copy will be sent to GM.

About a week after that, I get a followup from GM, stating that they are happy that all went well, and they also ask if I felt coerced in any way to give a positive response. Up to this point, I have been satisfied, so I have no idea what a negative response would bring. Although I've never been a GM fan, I've been impressed with these followups, makes you feel like someone is listening, and actually cares. I was under the impression that all customers were receiving the same treatment, apparently not. You hit the nail on the head, you need to find a good dealership, someone within a reasonable distance from your home. Here is a link you can check out, I'm sure there are more.http://www.dealerrater.com/reviews/

I don't get these dealers, that are deliberately shooting themselves in the foot. I've probably been back to my dealership about eight times, for the recalls, oil changes, and a few petite things. About a week later I get an email from the dealer asking if everything was done to my satisfaction, with a lot of detailed yes and no questions, and if I am unhappy, please give them a chance to rectify it. The email also states that this questionnaire will be returned to the dealer, and a copy will be sent to GM.

About a week after that, I get a followup from GM, stating that they are happy that all went well, and they also ask if I felt coerced in any way to give a positive response. Up to this point, I have been satisfied, so I have no idea what a negative response would bring. Although I've never been a GM fan, I've been impressed with these followups, makes you feel like someone is listening, and actually cares. I was under the impression that all customers were receiving the same treatment, apparently not. You hit the nail on the head, you need to find a good dealership, someone within a reasonable distance from your home. Here is a link you can check out, I'm sure there are more.http://www.dealerrater.com/reviews/

Go figure, my dealer has 1 1/2 star on that site.

When I inspected my 2013 1LT-auto (1/2013 build) It seems fine and it has a bit more 'leatherette' vinyl material folded double and stitched. Design looks a bit different than the above poster's pix.

I inquired if my my Mechanic, who's shop is GM certified could inquire from his GM tech contact why the difference in seat stitching. He found out that there were various 3rd party suppliers that supply the seat upholstery components and that is why there are some differences in the stitching method/design among the seats. Even though the upholstery looks very similar, the stitching method varies among suppliers. This is the case for other cars from many brands who use 3rd party parts manufactured to the specs set by the car company (GM, Ford etc).

When I inspected my 2013 1LT-auto (1/2013 build) It seems fine and it has a bit more 'leatherette' vinyl material folded double and stitched. Design looks a bit different than the above poster's pix.

I inquired if my my Mechanic, who's shop is GM certified could inquire from his GM tech contact why the difference in seat stitching. He found out that there were various 3rd party suppliers that supply the seat upholstery components and that is why there are some differences in the stitching method/design among the seats. Even though the upholstery looks very similar, the stitching method varies among suppliers. This is the case for other cars from many brands who use 3rd party parts manufactured to the specs set by the car company (GM, Ford etc).

Yep, depending on manufacture or specific product run/batch.

Mine is a LT1 also.

Patsy her is helping me with my dealer to get things corrected. I still need the AC screwup fixed, now my seat, and the AC recirculate flap. Hope they contact me so I can bring it in. I want to be there when they work on it. No way I'm dropping it off while they have a field day.

• 6 months later...

Well I still not have had time to have the seat and other things fixed. But today while cleaning my car I noticed the seat is cracking in the gray area that Greg talks about. This is totally unacceptable with only now 14,000 miles. Plus my car is spotless and well taken care of. This is total crap.

My fear is yes, it still has 7 months left on the warranty but what do I do after that.

2EFA50BA-E3F4-45E4-8141-6B9141567F69.jpg

Well I still not have had time to have the seat and other things fixed. But today while cleaning my car I noticed the seat is cracking in the gray area that Greg talks about. This is totally unacceptable with only now 14,000 miles. Plus my car is spotless and well taken care of. This is total crap.

My fear is yes, it still has 7 months left on the warranty but what do I do after that.

2EFA50BA-E3F4-45E4-8141-6B9141567F69.jpg

So sorry about this, Bluer! If you need additional assistance with this, please let us know in a private message. We are always happy to help the best way possible!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Just noticed the other day that my back seat is coming apart!

I have only about 9,000 (yes, nine thousand) miles on my Spark and there have only been people in the back seat 3 times.

When I flipped up the bottom seat cushion to put something a little longer in the back, I noticed that the cover was pulling away and I could see the foam inside the seat.

Just one more issue to add to the multitude of other issues with my POS.

Sorry if that was too negative for some of your delicate sensibilities! :baby:

Just noticed the other day that my back seat is coming apart!

I have only about 9,000 (yes, nine thousand) miles on my Spark and there have only been people in the back seat 3 times.

When I flipped up the bottom seat cushion to put something a little longer in the back, I noticed that the cover was pulling away and I could see the foam inside the seat.

Just one more issue to add to the multitude of other issues with my POS.

Sorry if that was too negative for some of your delicate sensibilities! :baby:

Hi Gossamer,

I'm so sorry for this! Please do let me know if you need any additional assistance into the dealership. We would be happy to document this within our system and work towards a possible resolution. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 2 months later...