why does everyone on here pick on the spark?

All this nonsense about engine problems is just that , nonsense. The PCV was the main culprit that was misdiagnosed. I don't doubt somebody got an engine replaced and then had the tech stick the same defective valve on a new motor causing the same issue . These motors are rock solid as far I can tell .

Many to most current cars have had engine related minor to major issues. From the Spark PCV issue causing all sorts of problems to the 2014 Corvette's huge 7L engine failure due to metal fragments bypassing the oil filter. Even the upscale BMW's had engine related recalls that were more serious than the Spark PCV issue and.... good old Honda had a major recall due to VVT issues that were, well, much more serious and hard to fix than the Spark PCV issue. These are only a few of the easy to find documented issues.

As far as the Spark engine...although a small VVT, sensor heavy, tight and unforgiving engine, I have put mine through a stress test, driving at near max speed for extended distances in high heat with A/C on and I can assure you that under those conditions if anything was "way out of spec" the engine would not survive the first mile of a 50+mile run at 100+mph or several trips of ±200mi at 85-95mph in the heat and humidity with the A/C on. I admit that those 'tests' may be a bit un-scientific and extreme for a small engine, but the fact that it still runs without noticeable oil consumption and a smooth idle after +30Kmi, I would have no other option but to conclude the engine is, pretty well..."rock solid"...at least on my car.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead