The majority of the problems seems to be with the US-Spark: PCV-valves and aircon.

I have only had mine electrical problems and few problems with clutch shutter. All fixed under warranty. My car is now at the workshop getting its ESP/traction control fixed again.

I've only been here about a month or so ,I've noticed people getting on here with issues with their cars ,they post what's wrong with their cars and it seems they are never post again ,it would be nice to see if they got their issues resolved or not , just my thoughts anybody else notice this ?

I agree..would be nice to see how and if the issue was resolved.

• 3 months later...

My issue with hesitation and lurching was resolved by using mid-grade (89 octane) gasoline or adding Techron. Seems like this may have to do with the fuel injection system (?), but it now runs much better. If running on regular (87 octane), it does best, for some unknown reason, with Sunoco gas. Ran lousy on Shell, Boron, Racetrack, and Murphy's. She's a finicky drinker... if this car was a person, she'd refuse seltzer and hold out for sparkling Perrier... oh well!

I tried top tier gas (Shell) and my Spark was bucking like it was in a rodeo. For some unknown and mysterious reason, she seemed to do a bit better with Sunoco. But after I switched to Sunoco 89 octane, she ran like the spunky little chipmunk she was meant to be. Why? I don't know. I've since tried 89 octane Murphy's gas (Walmart) and is running o.k., but not as chipper as with the Sunoco 89. I guess mine has a "personality!" At least she isn't hankering for some diesel! But I also noticed MPG increase of about 3 MPG after switching to the higher octane. I know the Smart ForTwo uses only premium unleaded and it too has a tiny engine that works hard. I also read that newer cars with direct injection engines are prone to a lot of sludge building up. Not sure if a higher octane gas would affect that? Also add Techron every few thousand miles. At over 20,000... not had a single repair (knock on wood).

I have no explanation for why cars seem to prefer different brands of gasoline, but my last Lincoln Towncar ran like a dream on Sunoco 91 octane, although the car needed high test, no mattter what the brand. I did try different brands of gas, but Sunoco was the magic potion. I was kind of surprised that a premier brand such as Sunoco wasn't a top tier, but, hey, whatever works...

After 10 months and 13,000 miles and Zero problems I am totally happy with our little Froggy. No matter if its just short hops or long leaps he has been up to the task. Most of the time with 3 people on board. Still averaging Close to 37mpg overall. Last trip we took was 324 miles on a single tank. He is about ready for his 3rd oil change.

Edited by Angrybird12

I tried top tier gas (Shell) and my Spark was bucking like it was in a rodeo. For some unknown and mysterious reason, she seemed to do a bit better with Sunoco. But after I switched to Sunoco 89 octane, she ran like the spunky little chipmunk she was meant to be. Why? I don't know. I've since tried 89 octane Murphy's gas (Walmart) and is running o.k., but not as chipper as with the Sunoco 89. I guess mine has a "personality!" At least she isn't hankering for some diesel! But I also noticed MPG increase of about 3 MPG after switching to the higher octane. I know the Smart ForTwo uses only premium unleaded and it too has a tiny engine that works hard. I also read that newer cars with direct injection engines are prone to a lot of sludge building up. Not sure if a higher octane gas would affect that? Also add Techron every few thousand miles. At over 20,000... not had a single repair (knock on wood).

The Spark is not Direct Injected so a quality gas will help keep it cleaner. In a Direct injected engine no gas will help because the gas is injected into the cylinders not above the intake valvea and cannot keep the valves cleaned off on top. Those engines need to have a intake and upper cylinder cleaning done about every 30,000 miles unless you add a oil catch can to the PCV system to condense and collect the oil vapor before it gets recirculated into the engine. My Camaro has a Direct injected V6 and I installed a catch can shortly after buying it. It will collect about 3 ounces of oil in the catch can between oil changes. Without it that oil would have hit the hot intake valves and carbonized on them. It won't completely stop the oil vapor but it will greatly reduce it. Edited by Angrybird12