Good morning, I am having issues with my power windows not going up and harldy going down. I'd rather have them up since I live in Florida and we tend to have a lot of rain! Here's the situation: My back passenger window got stuck one day in the down position. I jiggled the driver switches a bit and it rolled back up. Eventually this was happening to all 4 windows. Now they will not go back up, but will go down occassionally if I hit the switch. I am getting the run around from my dealership. I think it's a loose wire or the switch. How do I take the panel off, I see under the door handle there's a place where I can unscrew, but where else. And, what is your opinion: loose wiring or swtich? It's a 2013 Spark with 47,500 miles (so, out of warranty). What is an estimated cost to fix this? Thanks for any guidance and help I can receive on here :)

~Jessy

•This could be simple or a bit tricky to diagnose. The fix would probably be no big deal as all windows are affected, so it's probably a single, central issue. As 'jibb3r' (not his real name) says, try the individual door located switches and if they work, the problem is most likely the drivers door switch control. If they do not work then it is not any the switches, but a central control module, fuse or connection. These things are best left to a trusted mechanic who has much more experience and electronic testing equipment that can quickly trace the problem that we know is not the motors or anything mechanical but a central electrical/electronic issue that is probably easy to trace with the proper equipment & not expensive to fix.

•Trying to remove the door panels looking for a loose wire is a waste of time as most of the electrics are sealed units and a loose wire is hard to spot on these things and most likely not the case or nothing would work at all and removing and re-installing door panels is not as easy as it may appear since a lot of wiring and hardware is attached to the door panel and you may do more damage fitzing around in there. Mechanics use a process of elimination to diagnose that involves the least amount of time and work and may come down to something as simple as a little switch or underdash unit or may be a bit more difficult to find if it is a fusable link, a weak section of wire that acts as a fuse in the event of an overload.

•Hope this points you in the right direction & I really can't see this being too expensive since we know it is a central issue. The main expense will most likely be labor, but I think a good electrical person can diagnose within an hr. and fix it within another hr. [My best guess given the symptoms]

Let us know how you make out..K?

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

When the central switch fails it affects all the windows. Sometimes rain will get in and cause corrosion when the switch is located on a door.I have had them fail even on console located switch .Sometimes a drink could spill or snow or rain rolling off the sleeve of a jacket ect.Hopefully thats all it is and it will be an easy fix ,maybe there will be another service campaign for it lol.