NEW RECALL AS OF TODAY 10/2

I have had my spark for two months and had it yesterday to have the pcv valve replaced, the transmission recalibrated. I just got off the phone with the sales manager and was told they announced today another recall for the hood latch and they don't even know how to fix it yet. She claims she doesn't know why the recall was made. I am wondering if my hood is gonna fly up and smash my windshield, block my view and kill me. What next? Lemon law?

Yes I bought a 2014 yesterday they to,d me before I bought it they would have to give me a loaner till the recall is done on my car. Dealer has like 15 new sparks and I saw three or 4 customers cars that need to be done hope it doesn't take too long to fix they gave a nice chev cruise to drive ,I know people get really upset when things like this happen but it would rather be safe than sorry....

Strange...... out of all the problems people have complained about, not one incident regarding a hood, has been reported, here anyway. GM is really covering all bases, good to see, really.

Indeed nice to see GM is being proactive. The latch issue involves rust on the locking slides that may cause it to bind and not close, leaving only the secondary latch securing it..Just oil that area to prevent rust on the 2 sliding clasps..fairly simple and if the rust is not binding it..well no need to act on that IMO.

If rust is the issue, then they need to compare to Kia, the latches on the few Kia models I've seen are horrible rust magnets! And yes I did own one of those rust magnets.

If someone can get the program number, I'll edit the title and make it a sticky.

I have had my spark for two months and had it yesterday to have the pcv valve replaced, the transmission recalibrated. I just got off the phone with the sales manager and was told they announced today another recall for the hood latch and they don't even know how to fix it yet. She claims she doesn't know why the recall was made. I am wondering if my hood is gonna fly up and smash my windshield, block my view and kill me. What next? Lemon law?

We can certainly understand your frustrations with the multiple concerns that you have experienced with your Spark, Donalie. We're here if further assistance is needed with your concerns. Feel free to send us a private message in regard to this thread if we can be of any assistance.

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Kristen A

Can you shed any light on the hood latch situation the dealer said the recall is so new there isn't a recall number yet and of course no fix yet . I read it been over 7 days since I was told a stop sale on sparks , any information would be nice

I read today that its the secondary latch that is rusting and may not engage properly. If the primary latch were to fail the secondary may not catch the hood and it could fly up. No accidents or injuries have been reported. The stop sale is until the dealers can get replacement parts installed.

I have inspected mine and added some lithium grease to help protect it until the parts are available.

From Motor Trend:

2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark

The Problem: Due to the possibility of premature corrosion at the hood latch pivot, the striker may not properly engage the secondary hood latch. This could cause the hood to unexpectedly open while the car is moving which increases the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Dealers will replace the striker and hood latch with new, anti-corrosive parts free of charge.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: 89,294 2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark hatchbacks.

you guys are a little behind the times on this one and aswell as the 8/13/2014 excessive oil consumption, originally posted on gm site 7/25/2014, then changed to 6/12/2014 #A GM 140110 the hood latch was posted on gm site 9/23/2014 program #A gm 140456

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine as well, but upon my inspection of the related parts, I found the entire assembly and spring to be rust free and coated with the factory clear, sticky rust prevention stuff..so, I'll just keep an eye on it and lube it when req'd. VERY simple mechanism to service or replace.

Yep, I inspected mine so I'm not concerned with it either.