New 2014 Chevy Spark LT only showcasing 170 miles-to-empty on a full tank?

Hi everyone. It's great to see a forum like this available for new Spark owners. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have a brand new 2014 Chevy Spark LT, only around 200 miles on it. On a full tank of gas however the fuel-to-empty mileage reading on the odometer showcases only around 170 miles? Online sites state this should be more around 300 miles to empty on a full tank of gas. So far the mpgs look good and the regular odometer is reading each mile correctly? Does anyone have any suggestions? It couldn't per chance be that the LT model has a much smaller fuel tank? Thanks!

I would give it a couple tanks to have any erroneous figures to drop off the computer. What you see on the average mpg meter are not what the miles to empty are figured on. You don't know how much your car has sat and idled before you got it and that will screw up the reading. I have had several cars with this feature and the miles to empty can not be figured by what you see on the mpg meter.

One thing you may want to do if you haven't yet is download the onstar app for your phone. It will keep you up to date not only on your current mpg but lifetime average.

Edited by Angrybird12

I would give it a couple tanks to have any erroneous figures to drop off the computer. What you see on the average mpg meter are not what the miles to empty are figured on. You don't know how much your car has sat and idled before you got it and that will screw up the reading. I have had several cars with this feature and the miles to empty can not be figured by what you see on the mpg meter.

One thing you may want to do if you haven't yet is download the onstar app for your phone. It will keep you up to date not only on your current mpg but lifetime average.

Thanks for your help angrybird12. Am I to think then that the miles to empty reading will start readjusting itself and become more accurate after several tank fill ups? The only reason I ask is because I know someone else with a spark but it's a 2013 model, around 19k miles on it now, and he said each time he fills up the miles to empty reading automatically around 298 miles or so. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for your help angrybird12. Am I to think then that the miles to empty reading will start readjusting itself and become more accurate after several tank fill ups? The only reason I ask is because I know someone else with a spark but it's a 2013 model, around 19k miles on it now, and he said each time he fills up the miles to empty reading automatically around 298 miles or so. Thanks again for your help!

I have about 5,500 on mine now and the miles to empty will change at fill up depending a lot on the type of driving I have been doing. In have seen it as low as 280 and a high of 350. So unless you consistently do the same type driving all the time it will vary some with each fill up. This is not only like that on my Spark but also my Camaro.

Edited by Angrybird12

like greg said reset everything. the number IS calculated and has to do with you mpg average and all that fun stuff. also check your fuel gauge sparks dont always fill right as to how their fuel filler neck is positioned so make sure youre full. all sparks have the same size tank. could just need re adjusting like you said. new cars can often sit idle/running on dealer lots with no one driving for long periods of time cause they dont care its not their car and that can affect things. if youre haveing the same problem at 1000 take it to your dealer to get checked.

like greg said reset everything. the number IS calculated and has to do with you mpg average and all that fun stuff. also check your fuel gauge sparks dont always fill right as to how their fuel filler neck is positioned so make sure youre full. all sparks have the same size tank. could just need re adjusting like you said. new cars can often sit idle/running on dealer lots with no one driving for long periods of time cause they dont care its not their car and that can affect things. if youre haveing the same problem at 1000 take it to your dealer to get checked.

Resetting thethe average mpg meter, trip miles and the average speed readout does not change the miles to empty when you fill it up. To confirm this all you need to do is fill your car and then check the miles to empty before resetting those. Then reset everything and recheck the miles to empty. It will be exactly the same. I did it just this morning and after filling and before resetting the miles to empty was 346 miles, I then reset everything and checked again. It was still 346 miles.

The mikes to empty is figured on an average but that average is a rolling average that is not user resettable.