Intentionally get worst MPG challenge?

Took a quick 30 mile trip on interstate at 75 got it to drop to 35.5 mpg avg from both trips. So apparently it handles city life much easier. Got off interstate and back in to city driving and it's avg mpg started to climb back up towards 36 mpg. I can get 50+ mpg if I drive it on highway or major road with few stops at 50mph.

Thanks for those great pics. Yeah, the 1.4 L is definitely the reason why....it has little bit more power and probably runs more efficient. That looks a lot like my 04' ford focus that did 75 mph at 3000 rpm (very comfortable 3000rpms at 120 km/h). It was 2.0 L 130 hp stock engine.

My engine is a 1.0 L, so not as powerful. I really have to step on it and work it a little harder than the 1.2 or 1.4 L's to get to the same speed.

Here's a little update: after having the airbox resonator removed for over a week now, as most other posters stated who did the airbox resonator delete, the car is definitely peppier (mainly at acceleration from traffic lights). I'm definitely getting off the line faster, but at the same time, I've been driving it harder the last couple weeks (120-140 km in 80 km zones or 150 km on the highway). The update on my title of the thread is I'm now sitting at

370 km total with about 2.5 bars of gas left on the gauge.

This means, I'll most likely need to fill up at around the 440-450 km range but maybe even earlier to be safe at the 420 km range. So this is definitely my worst mileage ....and I guess it makes sense with the airbox delete, the little

added power and driving it harder has all contributed to a 420-450 km range on a full tank. My previous averages have been in the 470 to 520 km range per full tank.

So to answer my own question I posed in the beginning, it seems that with hard driving, the % of reduced mpg would be around a 10% decrease in mpg (I'm down about 50 km this time so 50 / 500 = 10%).

That's not too bad. I was worried that it might be as high as 20 or 25% efficiency loss. So driving it hard and accelerating hard, doing hard corners, and etc., seems to amount to a 10% decrease.

I can live with that =)

5000-6000 rpms will continue! ^_^

• 1 month later...

Fyi... Sparks in USA all have 1249 cc engines and are rated 83HP.

I drive 70-75 miles a day in Detroit traffic. Mixed driving on summer blend and where I make no effort to conserve I get 37 mpg. So far on winter blend I get 35 mpg. That is driving it with no special concern to conserve. If I start out slow, try not stop, keep all shifts under 3500 rpm, and keep speed under 70 mph, I have averaged 42 mpg. On a highway trip where I tried to conserve diligently... kept speed under 65 mph... I achieved 44 mpg, but I do not the self discipline to do that all the time. There is no way I could make this car get under 34 mpg. If my terrain were mountainous then maybe that is possible. If you hot dog it uphill a lot, you might be able to get under 30mpg.

Edited by cwesleyg

I have the manual 2013 and the lowest mpg I have had was 38.6 on a 250 mile trip with 4 people in the car, the best was 51 mpg on a mostly Interstate trip going 60 mph with just my very wispy thin wife and myself., I use the old school method of filling the car up, noting the mileage and calculating the mpg at next fillup. Not sure about relying on the electronic---"fuelie thingy"

• 3 weeks later...

I get 28-30mpg in the city and 33-37mpg on the highway. My highway driving is always at 70-95mph and I use cruise whenever I can. A recent long trip cruising at 90mph got me 33mpg. My rpm's are at ±2700rpm at sustained 60mph and not sure what they are at 95mph as I usually take a short nap while cruising at that speed. My Spark is a 2013, 4 speed automatic with about 35kmi total. I have never, under any driving conditions, gotten anywhere near the 40mpg++ that some are reporting. I suppose I could if I drove a level road at 35-40mph on cruise. One thing I do like about the car is the low rolling resistance at higher speeds, thus allowing effortless cruising at 70-95 mph. I have had it up to 105mph for long stretches (±15-20mi) with very little effort before the automatic 'cut off' trims my blast down the road to a max of 105mph. I know I am taking a chance of engine damage at that kinda sustained speed, but the engine is still under warranty and has never burned any noticeable amount of oil even at sustained high speeds with the A/C on.