oil consumption - program code 14110 - pcv valve

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• I would not spend time worrying about the engine problems reported by some as I did some work finding out exactly what the issues and root causes were by talking to both GM, the head of service at m

Not much at this point, I would start out by returning to the dealership with a copy of your invoice, and expressing your concerns to the service manager. See what he tells you, and if you get no sati

Mine just had the cel flashing and traction control light on while missfiring very bad for the first 30 seconds after starting it after sitting overnight, it went away on its own. It goes to the deale

Posted Images

chevrolet cusomter care i'll get back to you later tonight, so 30 days out, its day 23, the car has recall notices for a/c gm# A130434 4/3/2014-excessive oil consumption #gm A140110 6/12/2014-hood latch #gm A140456 so if they call within 7 days which would make it 30 days out, if in those 7 days if all the recalls are not done, fixed whatever, refusal to take the car would be acceptable. now this excessive oil, consumption, replace pcv, and might have to replace #4 spark plug relean idle/carb clean throttle body, why is there no reference with #25193675 being the replacement pcv valve with a spark, spark is not one of the listed vehicles that the pcv valve 25193675 goes intO?

Well it will be two weeks since I bought my Spark this Wednesday and it's still sitting at the dealer ,they say the hood latch is on back order go figure I cant understand why they put a stop sell on sparks for a hood latch corrosion issue I can't see theses latches rusting over night to the point where they won't latch like they were designed .

Well it will be two weeks since I bought my Spark this Wednesday and it's still sitting at the dealer ,they say the hood latch is on back order go figure I cant understand why they put a stop sell on sparks for a hood latch corrosion issue I can't see theses latches rusting over night to the point where they won't latch like they were designed .

Yeah one of the dumbest stop sales yet even dumber than the Camaro Key Fiasco.....

I was getting my oil changed today and the a service advisor said they had nothing about a fix yet.... I told them a new latch and striker was supposed to be made out of corrosion resistant material. He agreed that its another dumb over reaction. I have had other cars where the latches rusted after 10 years or so and would't catch. A little wd40 and then some grease would free it right up.

Edited by Angrybird12

Insane! You paid for a car they refuse to deliver until a part of it is rebuilt. If it were me, well, lets no go there, but you should definitely contact GM Customer Service/Retention after asking for a full refund and taking your business elsewhere..that or buy a used one with low mileage. Basically you bought a car that the dealer says is not safe to drive. You could also ask to sign a waiver of sorts indicating you are aware of the problem and don't give a shit. Then, wait for the actual recall notice, which, due to the absurdly simple nature of the issue, Ignore it as some simple periodic lube will resolve the problem...Unless the problem is an actual defective design that they are not mentioning. I had a look at mine and the design seems to be the standard locking system with normal looking parts and still has the original factory lube without any rust....

We can certainly understand how frustrating this must be. Please keep us in the loop and let us know if further assistance is needed. We hope that your Spark is back in your hands soon!

Kristen A.

Chevrolet Customer Care

GM is taking a "take no chances" approach to safety issues to avoid another "key bump" crisis is suppose.

Latches don't rust overnight, but they can sitting around in bins for a few months where a roof leaks in the factory. Have you ever been in a car factory? I worked in one for 4 years.

Kudos to GM and the new CEO for this new approach to safety and quality!!

post-268-0-85481600-1413312517_thumb.jpg

Edited by elroyjetsn

the first time the dealer was called they said the part was ordered, the second time the dealer was called the part had not arrived, and as far as contact information goes, does that mean i can take the impala they rented for me and hide it, get real

You said there was no contact...

They gave me an Impala as a rental courtesy car once, too.

Yesterday morning when I started the car, I got another major missfire with a blinking cel and traction control light for the first 30 seconds. This is the first time thats happened since the pcv recall was done. This time no pending missfire codes were stored according to my scanner. I'm waiting until I get the pending missfire code before I bring it back in, since I'll be wasting my time otherwise. I wonder if the dealer actually replaced #4 spark plug? If they did, something else is wrong. I'm closer to getting rid of this crappy new car for a Fiesta or back to another Hyundai. At least I'm not burning oil anymore. After 30k miles these cars are junk, almost like the Yugo was.

Edited by austex04

Yesterday morning when I started the car, I got another major missfire with a blinking cel and traction control light for the first 30 seconds. This is the first time thats happened since the pcv recall was done. This time no pending missfire codes were stored according to my scanner. I'm waiting until I get the pending missfire code before I bring it back in, since I'll be wasting my time otherwise. I wonder if the dealer actually replaced #4 spark plug? If they did, something else is wrong. I'm closer to getting rid of this crappy new car for a Fiesta or back to another Hyundai. At least I'm not burning oil anymore. After 30k miles these cars are junk, almost like the Yugo was.

Indeed, I have read your initial post where you found the oil consumption and indicators flashing as well as rough idle and hard start..etc. In my opinion, they did not replace the very fouled #4 plug the is, IMO, the cause of your current issue. Just ask them to check at least the #4 plug, but better to check all 4. I would also have them check the current PCV valve and before you go in..just double check that the replacement PCV part # is in fact the correct #25193675 PCV. It is grey in color as apposed to the faulty one which is black in color. The short rubber hose from black plug cover to main air intake hose should also have been newly replaced as it may have oil/carbon build-up on the inside. I wouldn't wait for codes as this needs to be looked after right away and from what you describe, I'm fairly confident that a #4 plug replacement will clear your issues up after a good fast 15-20 mile highway trip to burn off the small amount of oil that may have been deposited in unwanted internal areas...Good luck and maybe give us an update afterwards?

That could also be due to a ECU reset done by the dealer after a firmware update. The ECU may take some time to relearn the engine parameters. This happens whenever the battery is disconnected for servicing or replacing engine parts to prevent short circuits and stuff. ECU's may also crash on rare occasions and reboot themselves when you restart the engine. I say this because of the misfire and unrelated indic. lights flashing. The misfire may just be the ECU needs to hear from the knock sensor for the first time before it can start retarding the spark timing to where it needs to be. Usually instead of a misfire, you'll hear lots of engine clatter, like a diesel due to the spark being too far advances causing severe engine knock. It should go away after an engine restart though.

on day 29 the spark returned from the dealer for the excessive oil consumption recall, 29 days can u believe it? whats the real problem here that chevy is not telling us, is #4 cyclinder really out of round on these motors, well anyway, heres the punch line to this story, its my daughters car and when she picked it up she made an appt for today to get a different car cause she needs it for work, on the way to the the dealership this morning, guess what starting flashing and total loss of power she almost didnt make it, shes in a new malibu now end of story

I've got about 13800 miles on my 2013 1LT auto right now, and I'm about 300 miles from home. Most of those are highway miles, and it's totally stable at around 70mph. I do have difficulty with acceleration sometimes, but I'm also really, really gentle on the car and try to stay below 3000RPM whenever possible. When in for annual inspection at end of August, they told me it didn't need oil and that confused me, seeing as I'd done another 7500 miles since the first oil change in March...and I'd just checked it myself and found only a little bit on the dipstick. I made them change the oil and filter.

Lately I've noticed a little bit more engine clatter at idle. Barely noticeable unless you're me and drive it nearly every day. I'm used to it sounding a certain way, and it's starting to sound different. I have a really good track record with this car, even with the very harsh winter that smacked PA and NJ in late 2013 to early 2014. Not gonna take any chances. Last night I was on 295 coming back from MA and was watching the remaining range to gauge when I'd need gas. I noticed the range was decreasing more than it should have been. I went about 16 miles, but it took about 24 off the range counter, which is abnormal. I don't know about oil consumption, but my gas consumption isn't what I'd like right now - used to average 40-50mpg on the highway, but now it's more like 35.

I drive from southeast PA to northern Rhode Island (pretty much on the MA line) every few months, and that's 600 miles round-trip. Not taking chances as mine is the only car we have in RI at present! There is a dealer down the street here, luckily, and driving past one can see they have a full inventory of Sonics and Sparks in all colours, which can't be said for ANY of the dealers in the Philadelphia area. I'm going to see about taking it in on Tuesday, provided it won't be more than a few hours to replace the part.

What can I expect, anyway? I'm a young guy from out-of-state, and this is the first car I've owned. I'm not stupid, but I'm also not experienced and currently not very financially secure...I know fixing the recalled PCV valve and whatever goes along with that is free-of-charge (as per the letter I received in the mail) but having read through this thread I'm worried they might tell me there's something else wrong, or something that could go wrong and needs addressed now...and it'll cost more than I can budget for right now. I got this car because it's inexpensive and efficient, but coming from an IT background I understand things like unforeseen complications or even overlooked defects. Just wanna be sure I'm not gonna end up in deeper than I can deal with right now!

One thing's for sure, though - after reading this thread, I'm not waiting until I get back to PA in another 300+ miles to get this taken care of...

spark owners really need to ask themselves this question? if your recall notice is dated 8/13/2014 as was my daughters #14110, her 2nd time having the loss of total power while driving down the freeway, thats when i started looking into the problem why on the gm recall center website , why does it have a different number #GM A140110 AND NO TITLE AND ISSUE DATE OF 7/25/2014? so i started posting and my first post on this web site was posted then it was deleted and i was blocked from posting? as the days went by during the 29 days it took for my daughter to get her car back i went back to the gm website and that recall now had a title and a new issue date of 6/12/2014 and a title, who fooling who here, and i might add the year to date gm recall list does not list this recall or the spark for this recall. why did it take my daughter 29 days to get her car back, when others have posted it only took 45 minutes and they got it back on the same day? why when my daughters car became undriveable, why would dealership not take her car that day or provide a reantal or loaner, they told her no, car is still under warranty, gm has a customer care transportation program that provides a rental, 29 days and the next morning cel/mil starts flashing and a total loss of power she almost didnt make it to the dealership for the trade off, what is the real problem with there motor, and alot of there motors?

What can I expect, anyway? I'm a young guy from out-of-state, and this is the first car I've owned. I'm not stupid, but I'm also not experienced and currently not very financially secure...I know fixing the recalled PCV valve and whatever goes along with that is free-of-charge (as per the letter I received in the mail) but having read through this thread I'm worried they might tell me there's something else wrong, or something that could go wrong and needs addressed now...and it'll cost more than I can budget for right now. I got this car because it's inexpensive and efficient, but coming from an IT background I understand things like unforeseen complications or even overlooked defects. Just wanna be sure I'm not gonna end up in deeper than I can deal with right now!

One thing's for sure, though - after reading this thread, I'm not waiting until I get back to PA in another 300+ miles to get this taken care of...

Don't worry! I know what it's like to have your first new car on a limited budget. Your warranty should cover it all. Sounds like you need to get that PCV update done ASAP as it does affect gas mileage as well as oil consumption etc, etc. If they have the part in stock, it takes about an hour of actual work. Make sure the car idles smoothly and the oil is at the proper level before you drive away from the dealer. Delaying this part replacement will cause other issues like fouled plugs etc. (also covered by warranty)

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, though I'd make a habit of monitoring oil levels at least every 1000 miles just to be safe. That goes for any car out there.

GM is in the process of ramping up their safety standards and that means pulling lots of cars into dealers to fix stuff that the old GM was not addressing adequately. Which is good for us, but

it may require that the dealers retrain their techs and managers to hone their troubleshooting skills while being swamped with recall jobs.

I think maybe your PCV valve is failing and your lower MPG could very well be due to #4 plug fouling, especially with long trips at highway speeds and higher revs. Pulling all that vacuum on the ailing PCV and therefore the crankcase (if the PCV is hanging open) can effect the oil pressure or foam the oil. So, I'd keep a close eye on the oil level and avoid long trips until the PCV fix is done.

what is the real problem with there motor, and alot of there motors?[/i]

Mine did that once the day after I did the PCV recall and it appears that the ECU had a hiccup the following morning so the tranny was stuck in 2nd gear and lots of engine clatter. I just pulled over and restarted the engine and it's been fine ever since...2 weeks now. I suppose the tech left a step out of the ECU update procedure or something....

Remember, dealers have auto mechanics in the shop, not necessarily IT techs like myself. These new cars are all run by computers, so....

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate the peace of mind. I made an appointment for 8:10AM tomorrow so I'll have it taken care of before I've got to drive anywhere else.

Seeing the posts where people say they've got 30 or 40 thousand miles on a 2013 Spark makes me think that maybe I don't do that much driving after all!

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate the peace of mind. I made an appointment for 8:10AM tomorrow so I'll have it taken care of before I've got to drive anywhere else.

Seeing the posts where people say they've got 30 or 40 thousand miles on a 2013 Spark makes me think that maybe I don't do that much driving after all!

36k on mine in the past 11 months ;-)