Cabin Vibration On Highway With Rear Windows Down

I do a lot of highway driving usually max out in the 70 to 75 MPH range. The other day I rolled my front windows up to hear someone on the bluetooth headset with the rear windows down and the cabin started vibrating so violently I had to open my front windows to stop it. Anyone else experience this phenomenon? I theorize that the vacuum created by the rear windows being open pulls the rear hatch door up and down causing the vibration throughout the cabin.

• 2 months later...

I have not tried it, but on my 2004 Dodge 1500 Quad-cab 1500, if the rear windows are down more than just an inch or two, you get this "whump-whump" sound that sounds like someone slapping something against your ears. Hard to explain, so like the other postings, I found it's best to crack front windows, and leave rear windows closed. I think it's probably a common occurance.

Both front windows can do the same, as will one side down other side up. The best way to combat this is front right down a little, back right down all the way, regulate the airflow around you with a little drivers side front. You can get some decent circulation this way and avoid the ear drum shattering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...