• 1 month later...

Hi guys, My 2010 Spark has now 97.000 km (60.000 miles) 16V 1,0 50 KW (68 HP), guess it is not very HIGH Millage,but it was serving me pretty well until now. have a IDLE problem..Maybe someone can help with advice.

- Changed front brake pads at about 60.000 KM.

-Changed  coolant twice  (after 5 years and after changing the water pump?

-Changed Battery  after 7 years,(Was still usable but leaking acid)

at 70.000 km changed water pump belt and there is also another belt ..

-At 90.000 km changed water pump and belt tensioner (due to worn bearings)

Regular service after about 10.000 km , original GM 5W30 oil used. ) Does not burn any oil in 10.000-12.000 km interval. 

I have a problem with IDLE  sometimes, (runs rough i would say missfires)I t happens mostly  when the engine has not cooled down completely after short stay . or after t longer stay at traffic light.. Was mention that during regular maintenance but they did not solve the problem. Has anyone had the similar problem with Chevy Spark ? 2010-2013?

Edited by BrunoSpark
12 hours ago, BrunoSpark said:

Hi guys, My 2010 Spark has now 97.000 km (60.000 miles) 16V 1,0 50 KW (68 HP), guess it is not very HIGH Millage,but it was serving me pretty well until now. have a IDLE problem..Maybe someone can help with advice.

- Changed front brake pads at about 60.000 KM.

-Changed  coolant twice  (after 5 years and after changing the water pump?

-Changed Battery  after 7 years,(Was still usable but leaking acid)

at 70.000 km changed water pump belt and there is also another belt ..

-At 90.000 km changed water pump and belt tensioner (due to worn bearings)

Regular service after about 10.000 km , original GM 5W30 oil used. ) Does not burn any oil in 10.000-12.000 km interval. 

I have a problem with IDLE  sometimes, (runs rough i would say missfires)I t happens mostly  when the engine has not cooled down completely after short stay . or after t longer stay at traffic light.. Was mention that during regular maintenance but they did not solve the problem. Has anyone had the similar problem with Chevy Spark ? 2010-2013?

I have been tinkering with my idle for reasons that aren't relevant to your situation but the troubleshooting should translate. Your issue is either related to air, fuel,spark, or some combination of those. 

Air

I would consider cleaning your mass air flow sensor and replace the intake filter if it hasn't been recently. 

Fuel

Sounds like everything is stock for the fuel system so I would assume if it is fuel related it is either injector or O2 sensor related. If you don't have a check engine light, I wouldn't suspect an O2 sensor issue but I wouldn't rule it out. For injectors, I'd just buy a bottle of injector cleaner and see if your issue goes away.

Spark

You could replace spark plugs or check the connections and wires for any issues. You could also check the gap on the spark plugs as well. From what you are describing, I lean more towards an air or fuel issue but that is just one man's opinion.

Hopefully, my rant helps you in some way. The troubleshooting above would cost very little and still be good maintenance if nothing else.

Edited by LittleBlue!
On 9/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, LittleBlue! said:

I have been tinkering with my idle for reasons that aren't relevant to your situation but the troubleshooting should translate. Your issue is either related to air, fuel,spark, or some combination of those. 

Air

I would consider cleaning your mass air flow sensor and replace the intake filter if it hasn't been recently. 

Fuel

Sounds like everything is stock for the fuel system so I would assume if it is fuel related it is either injector or O2 sensor related. If you don't have a check engine light, I wouldn't suspect an O2 sensor issue but I wouldn't rule it out. For injectors, I'd just buy a bottle of injector cleaner and see if your issue goes away.

Spark

You could replace spark plugs or check the connections and wires for any issues. You could also check the gap on the spark plugs as well. From what you are describing, I lean more towards an air or fuel issue but that is just one man's opinion.

Hopefully, my rant helps you in some way. The troubleshooting above would cost very little and still be good maintenance if nothing else.

Hi LittleBlue, Thank your for your time and advice. I have just saw your message (did not  receive notification e-mail) Everything you said sounds very logical to me,  I would just like to add info about check engine light. No, it is not lit, but once when it was behaving  erratically  in idle I lost my nerves pressed  gas "pedal to the metal" in  second gear (it is manual transmission car) almost  from  idle.. it  started to accelerate than haistating, accelerating  etc.. and I did not release the pedal. (After  check engine turned on for   the first time in my  car) Next time when i started the car it was all fine, there was no more engine light. Will follow your advice.. Maybe the check engine light story helps as well...

Have a nice day.

Edited by BrunoSpark
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ I think my 2013 chevy spark 5 speed with 113,000 got the recall for the a/c but compressor still went out. I spent the $500 to replace the compressor, condensor, expansion valve with gm parts and a flush since the compressor blew bits into the system. Also put some new rear shocks too. Only doing this cause im my own mechanic. 

• 3 months later...

got almost 155k on my 2013 spark, never thought it would make it this far, the only issue ive been having

is a transmission system control code i can tell before it pops the code the speedometer wont work so all

i do is pull over put it in park and back in drive then its fine does this about 2-3 times a week. had tranny fluid

flushed didnt help.

• 7 months later...

Over 153,000 miles 2013 Chevy spark and going very strong all highway sone times pushing 100 miles per hour max speed down hill was 120 had the car since 43,000 miles in 2017 one previous owner did body damage in accident. now its 2021 and i drive about 2000 miles a week in it for my job a year ago it was at 70,000 miles. Only thing I had to do was change brakes at 67k miles now everything still seems good AC does not work but never did work. :( never bothered to fix it but that's the only complaint. In the 4 years ive owned it I have changed the 3-7k miles or sometimes weekly with my job. I have the closed transmission auto never had an issue. If you think this car cant handle the road or go fast your wrong you just have to know how to speak to her the engine can handle 30 hour constant drives at 80 mph continuously. I drive from maryland to louisiana and Texas and back with out rest for me or the car often times. Twice a week. I drove it through every snow storm last year the ESP worked great even on icey hills I would floor it and wait till traction came on as it will cut power with out traction but it got me up them. The people who act like your sacrificing on this car your not its a go-kart for sure but in a business where you spend most of your life driving you cant go wrong getting a 2013 Chevy spark I expect to reach atleast 200k as nothings currently wrong. I will say Ive seen people mention that revving up hills being excessive cruise controlling up big hills is a no no it seems to lock the car in a high rpm even after your over the hill if it flattens out also it will not slow you down much I was cruse controlling down a mountain and reached 100 when I was set at 75. But if you know the Lil things about her like those and I spray Rem oil under my hood once a week no rust everything looks new. Rem oil like for guns its a water barrier as I some times get into water its a good idea and keep your tires good or you will have no traction I change myn every 60k miles but could probably do 40k woth how I drive