I am seriously considering buying a new Spark. But after reading the looooong list of problems this car seems to have, I'm beginning to wonder. Are these fairly isolated problems, or has almost everyone here had issues with their car, and warranty service? I have always been a Chevy guy, but I am astounded by the number of issues with this model. I need a reliable car. I want a Chevy, but will buy something else to get reliability if I have to.

To be honest, aside from the A/C problem, I think the Spark's biggest problem is quality control.

Would I buy another one? No, and I've owned Chevy's most of my life.

The lousy customer service that many (myself included) have endured is the worst part.

We all understand that any vehicle can have problems, but it seems that they just don't want to address them.

Do all Sparks have a problem?

I would say no, since there are people that post on the forum that say their Spark is fine, but are you willing to gamble 12 grand (or more) to find out if the one you get doesn't have problems?

That is the question you and anyone else that intends to buy a Spark needs to consider.

Edited by Gossamer

There have been far too many engines getting replaced for the small sample size of users that will come here. After dealing with Chevy Support and now trying to get my car in for service and having crap from the service writer, it's definitely my last Chevy. Would be nice if they got everything right on the majority of cars for 2015, maybe it will turn into a good reliable car, but I'm not going to take that chance.

As a mechanic, if you have problems, you are going to get completely frustrated dealing with your local dealers and with Chevy support. That may apply to any manufacturer, but certainly has applied to many of us with Chevy.

If you still have contacts within GM, then you are probably way ahead of the rest of us in that regard should you have any problems.

What's more interesting about the engine issues , is that the majority of the posters all joined the forum on the same day or within a day of each other lol. Still waiting on the TSB from Gm . They apparently have no issue replacing pistons and rings on Malibu's per the TSB but will just throw a new motor in a Spark without specifics .

I got the long list here. Help, Recalls & TSB's. That is a ridiculous number of problems. I am a vintage car enthusiast, and have a '72 Chevelle and a '63 Nova. New cars didn't have this many problems even back in those days. I no longer have any contacts with GM, that was work only. And in my case I would be spending nearly $18,000, after nearly 10% sales tax, title and registration. I need the LT version with automatic and cruise control, due to fairly severe arthritis.

It sounds like the Spark has both quality control and design problems. It also seems like quality has gone down on the Korean built cars since GM took over Daewoo. The much maligned Aveo seems to be more reliable than the Spark and Sonic. My employer didn't buy any of the really small cars, we did have quite a few Impalas, Malibus, Cobalts and Cavaliers, full size trucks and S10s I'm still upset about GM dropping the S10, and then the Colorado. Now that Ford has dropped the Ranger, things are going to get a lot more expensive. The S10 and Ranger were the staple of fleet departments everywhere. City policy prohibits buying foreign brand vehicles.

My own '01 Malibu transportation car has had several minor problems, and one major problem. But it had 98,000 miles on it when I bought it. The major problem was one I knew well, and was caused by Dex-Cool, or Death-Cool as I call it. The previous owner apparently never changed it. I had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and the radiator. Dex-Cool destroyed the gaskets, and almost completely plugged up the radiator with a brown waxy buildup that I have not been able to remove with any kind of chemical. This would have been a VERY expensive repair if I would have had to pay to have it done.

But, the reason I want a new car is so I will have a reliable and trouble free car for many years to come. I always over maintain my vehicles. I really like the Spark. For such a small car, it is very comfortable for someone my size. So my buying decision will be based on reliability and GM warranty service. Which is a big part of what I am here to find out about. Bob

Outside of the a/c issues that affected almost everyone here, that are now being addressed, and repaired, there hasn't been any major epidemic of problems. Some guys have had assorted problems, some more serious than others, but that happens. That's why you have a warranty. I've had to take my Spark in a few times to the dealership, and I've always been treated courteously, and fairly, with a followup satisfaction questionnaire from the dealership, as well as from GM. I don't care what you buy, at some point you are going to have to have some sort of service, there is no such thing as a totally trouble free car. I am not a shill for GM, I don't really even like GM, but I really enjoy my Spark. I think the fit and finish is done in good taste, and it is well dressed, and equipped, considering it is an entry level car, you get a lot of bang for the buck. The decision is yours, my only advice would be, if you decide to pull the trigger, be sure to research the satisfaction ratings of the dealership you are dealing with, that would apply to any car on which you may decide. Good luck, in what you decide.

The only major problem I have experienced was a bad wheel bearing on the rear left wheel. The bearing was replaced under warranty. Another problem I have experienced, and that is by design, is how the clutch is set up on this car, it is very light and travel is very long, first gear is also very tall, so I have had to relearn my driving method to be able to perform smooth take offs, one basically has to modulate the clutch and throttle. Minor gripes would be how the passenger seat rattles, creaking plastic panels when there are temperature changes, Low profile wheels that are easy to scratch, angstrom thin paint that chips easily, and a windshield that is a rock chip magnet.

I figure the A/C problem was a design decision, but GM will not admit to it.

On the question of service, it varies from dealer to dealer. The dealer I purchased from, Ron Craft Chevrolet, has been very helpful, but will never admit to any design flaws in the car. On the first oil change, they overfilled by about half a quart, the service manager corrected it personally. Other dealers, particularly "Chain" dealers, like Autonation, just do not care, they are rude and make it very obvious you are taking up their valuable time with your questions.

I've been happy with mine, despite a few minor quirks, just not with several dealerships service departments. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought another Hyundai, not just becouse I think they have better product, but becouse of how I was treated as a customer before and after the sale, by 3 different owned dealers. GM needs to completly change it's customer service standards, and have more controls in place for it's dealer network. A happy customer is also less likely to report problems on social media, wink wink.

Edited by austex04

Ataristic said "angstrom thin paint that chips easily". I agree. We have numerous paint chips on the left and right side of the hood. Most just down to white primer. but some right down to metal. Never had that before on any car I have owned. I just clean the chipped spots with rubbing alcohol and place a drop of red touch-up paint to prevent rust starting. Poor quality and very thin paint combined with airflow attracts the little rock particles since the airflow is directed to that area rather than over the side flares of the hood. This car is not our pride and joy and basically we just drive the heck out of it as a secondary car. We did not pay much for it and it was a cash deal, so it's all paid for. The car will be gifted to my daughter when her old car starts running into expenses for repairs.

I have several dealers, but none of them are really good.

They cut corners by not including a spare tire, and it appears they even cut corners on the paint. Yet they include all kinds of electronic gadgets I have no use for. Yes I know technology is cheap. But I would not be using OnStar, satellite radio, or bluetooth. I don't play with electronics while driving. I pull over and park when using a cell phone.

I had hoped that what happened back in '08 would be a wake up call for GM, but it looks like they have gone back to their old ways. Japanese cars used to be extremely reliable, but it seems they too have now learned about the "make money at all costs" way of doing business. I'm beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a reliable small car.

I've had no issues with mine. I've been to the dealer three times: I had my rear liftgate shocks replaced, had my loose switchblade keyfob replaced, and had my oil changed.

My A/C works as I think it should, but it still qualifies for the recall. So I will get that taken care of, eventually.

I'm very pleased with it. :shift:

I have only slightly under 5,000 miles on my 2014 Spark LS with manual trans, but so far not one single problem with the car. I like just about everything with the car with the exception of the small outside mirrors. The stock radio is nothing to write home about as well.I upgraded it. Other than that, it's fun to drive and I am averaging 39.8 mpg. Oh, cruise control should be offered as an option on the LS model, but my right foot gets the job done. ;)

Had ours for about 7 months/4,000 miles.

No issues mechanically or on build quality, a few stone chips are my only complaint. As my wife loves driving the Spark it's saving me a fortune on gas compared to the Jeep (hemi).

Dealer sent me home when I went for an oil change at 6 months and told me to wait for oil life monitoring system alert, can't complain about that.

I've been happy with mine, despite a few minor quirks, just not with several dealerships service departments. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought another Hyundai, not just becouse I think they have better product, but becouse of how I was treated as a customer before and after the sale, by 3 different owned dealers. GM needs to completly change it's customer service standards, and have more controls in place for it's dealer network. A happy customer is also less likely to report problems on social media, wink wink.

I agree with you. I had a XG350L and loved it. I miss the pick up it had and the room and comfort. It did however spend more time in the shop and had two transmissions (which the second died that cause me a new car payment on the spark) Hyundia customer service was not good to me and found out on the warrenty upkeep, they only changed the spark plugs they could reach but charged me the full amount. The Spark is affordable and got a good safty rating. I do love the gas milage and the 30 dollar fill up.

ALL manufacturers have cut spare tires.. weight saves for CAFE MPG standards, and to save $.

I too used to be a Luddite, but Mylink is great for a cell phone...

I am the old school type as far as cars go. I have my vintage cars to work on, tinker with, and enjoy driving. I do not enjoy working on new cars, but am still able to. I am looking for a reliable small car that gets great gas mileage, and intend to put a lot of freeway miles on it. I have a cell phone, and do not intend to use the OnStar. When the free trial runs out, I will not renew it. But I don't think a spare tire is too much to ask for. It can be a lifesaver, especially if you have a flat in an out of the way place. It would cost GM way less than $50 to include a donut, jack, and lug wrench. I would gladly pay $200 for it if it were optional, but it isn't. I would have to come up with a solution on my own. I simply won't drive a car without a spare. I personally think that DOT should require all new cars to come with a spare tire. I mean, my 1980 Vespa scooter has a spare tire.

Just got my Spark '14 a week ago and one thing that really gets under my skin so far about the whole experience is that the Salesman wanted to close the deal the same day I put down money. We checked out the car and everything seemed okay. I even put the VIN number into a website to check for recalls and nothing came up. We asked them to make sure they check everything and we did not care if they found something and it took a few days, but they were all 'oh everything is fine'. Then we get this paint/fabric treatment this week done that we basically got on the house because of confusion on something (which I thought was great and nice of them to give us so I thought we were off to a good start with this dealership since they were pretty reasonable even gave us free inspections for life since another dealership offered it!) We take it in and they mention TWO recalls that my car happens to...have to get parts for. It made me feel uncomfortable because we definitely told them, "Hey if there is something like a recall or something because we know that in the news GM has had a lot of recalls lately..." We will wait we don't need it asap. But no everyone wants to rush us out the door with the car. <.<;

Other than that I love my little car despite the recalls that just got thrown at me this week. @.@ Well I also really want to get a spare tire...I don't want to be stuck without a paddle up the creek if something does happen. O_O; Hopefully everything is good after we get the those things fixed...This is my first car and I was pretty upset..so I hope the experience gets better because I love the car so far.

When I do buy a new car, Spark or not, I'm not even going to the dealer. I'm going to Costco. I am going to tell them exactly what I want, what options and what color, and they will find it for me, even if a dealer has to bring one in from somewhere else. There will be no scams like paint and upholstery protectants, extended warranty, etc. There will also be no bogus fees. Costco will give me the numbers, I will pay them, and they will buy the car for me. I go in, sign the paperwork, and drive away in the car. My sister has bought 3 new cars that way and loved it. She saved a lot of money, and avoided any hassles with the dealer. Right now, GM has recalls on everything. They are sitting records on recalls. It's worse than it was back in the '70s. I was looking at a 2011 HHR from a private seller with 27,000 miles on it, looked brand new, same price as a base Spark, with no tax or fees. I found out there are a couple of recalls on it. I would have bought it anyway, I love the style, but I really want something smaller.

I almost all new cars don't have spear tires now. they do that to save weight and better mpg. but I would hate to be stuck in the middle of no where with no spare tire and no cell phone reception.

also its been about 15 years since my last flat tire. so im not worried about it

Edited by tootal2

I've had 2 flats this year, one was repairable, the other was not (puncture too close to the sidewall) so you better believe I'm worried about it. As for saving weight, what weight? I can easily hold that donut over my head with one hand. Another 5 pounds for a jack and lug wrench? It's NOT about saving weight, it's about saving pennies.