Fixing a Flat Tire

I hope you had better luck than me fixing a flat tire. As you know the Spark has no spare tire or a jack along with anything else to replace the tire. Chevy gives you an electric pump and "fix a flat" gooey stuff that goes through the pump into the tire. Well that didn't work (the stuff would not go into the tire). What do you do now? Well Onstar was still active, made the call to roadside assistance. The answer: They had it towed to the nearest dealer to be fixed. A bit extreme for a flat tire. I will be without the Spark for two days, the dealership was closed and will not reopen until Monday. I hope you have better luck.....

I do not trust goo bottles, it is a true temporary fix when it works,and will require the tire to be serviced later to remove the goo. As soon as I got the Spark, I bought a tire plug kit. Most flats will be caused by nails on the road, which is easily fixed by a plug kit, and will not require the tire to be serviced further, like the goo would. I also purchased a tire inflator with higher CFM than the included one, and a good pair of needle nose vice grips. I have used this kit with most cars I have owned, even with ones that did have a spare, never have I had to bring out the spare.

I had ran over a chunk of aluminum the other day but was able to get home.Although I do have a full size spare in the car I used my Nealy tire repair kit. I pulled out the metal and plugged the tire without removing it from the car.The metal piece was odd shaped and quite thick but the kit plugged it fine and its a permanent fix.

I like my slime digital air pump. I just set the psi to 40 and all 4 tires are inflated to 40 psi.

I have never tried the pump that's in the car.

I kept onstar because my spark does not have a spare tire.

I still have Onstar due to a promotion, but you can use the GM roadside assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had mixed results plugging steel belted radials from the outside. And doing so, even if it works, ruins the tire, as it can cause ply separation, so it is not a good idea to repair it properly from the inside later. IMO, not including a compact spare was a huge mistake by GM, but other manufacturers are doing this as well, as a way to cut corners on production costs. I also ride motorcycles and have a Goldwing with 2 plugs in the rear tire right now. I refuse to ride motorcycles with tube type tires and no centerstand because you have no way to fix a flat. I always pointed out that cars have a jack and a spare. I guess I should have seen this coming.

But they listed a spare tire package that you could order, never seemed to materialize into a real product. I think list price was around $800, haven't checked to see if they still show this option or if they killed it. Some of the other cars just a little above the price of a Spark still come with a compact spare and tools.

Around here is is normally about $10 and often they patch the inside for that amount. Plugs are often FREE because they know you will consider coming back to buy the next set of tires with that kind of service. Sears did that for me years ago, and the next set of tires were purchased from them.

Flats are just as common as they used to be. I would not go anywhere without a spare. I don't like donut spares, but they actually seem to work fairly well, and will get you home or a place to get your tire fixed. I found this wheel at Discount Tire, it shouldn't cost too much for a tire for it http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?c=2&rcz=85224&rc=AZEINT&dVeh=dVeh&bp=&fl=&tc=UNIQ83&yr=2014&pc=72515&wd=15&rw=&vid=025086 But it would take up most of the storage room in the Spark. I would be driving mine alone over 90% of the time, with the rear seat folded down. But that is not an option for everyone. Quite a bit more expensive, but it might make sense to just move up to the Sonic which does come with a spare.