Interior Front/Rear/Cargo LED lights

The first few pictures are from the other LED interior light post. But I decided to try the two 6" LED strips in different positions for the rear seat.

These are the two LED's I have in the front dome light.

20140124_172144.jpg

Consists of a universal festoon, a splitter, and two LED pods. They have 3M tape, and have held so far, even when it was -10 outside.

20140124_173702.jpg

Extremely bright. Probably could have got away with one, but I don't mind. I had a passenger refer to them as a "dentist light." lol :rockon:

20140124_180952.jpg

But the rear seat still suffers.

20140314_201931_Android.jpg

So I have (2) 6" strips, with 9 LED's on each. They're very thin aluminum with 3M tape on the back. I bought them for the rear cargo area, but I decided to try the rear seats. After looking for several places to put them, I just stuck the strips under the rubber seal that holds the headliner in, for pictures. It helped quite a bit, even though it doesn't seem like much. Might even do longer strips. The pictures don't do it justice, my 4 year old cell phone doesn't take very clear low lighting pictures.

20140314_202014_Android.jpg

20140314_202028_Android.jpg

20140314_202227_Android.jpg

I didn't get before pictures of the rear cargo, but you all know how lacking the rear light is. So I put the strips on the cargo 'lid'. Hoping the 3M tape sticks, the angle is perfect.

20140314_204328_Android.jpg

The strips are in their final resting places, but the wires still need tied up. There is a plug in the line, so they can be unplugged if I have to remove that tray.

20140314_204351_Android.jpg

20140314_204405_Android.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

All LED's are from www.vleds.com.

I went with the 'footwell kit', for the cargo area. It's essentially two 9 LED strips, the socket adapter, a splitter and an extension cable, if you so desire.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the install, but it's nothing spectacular. My "customization" skills are far from impressive. :doh:

I used the adapter, to plug into the factory cargo light socket. I put the clear rectangle lens back into place, then ran the extension wire up behind the plastic, to where the left speaker is. With a few zip ties, I secured the female end of the extension cable there to the plastic by the speaker. From there, the male end of the splitter is zip tied to the hinge of the cargo lid, where it feeds the light cables. So when I need to remove the lid, the plug is right there.

The 3M tape on the back of these pieces is pretty impressive. The strips are still holding strong. We'll see how the summer heat treats them.

• 1 month later...

what did you wire the interior rear lights to?

The rear seat lights were never completed. I had them wired into the cargo lamp, just to see what it would look like. The original plan, was to split them from the dome light, so they would work with the doors. I still might do that, one day.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/07/2014 at 3:08 AM, Dori said:

Where did you connect the lights into so that they light up when the cargo door is opened? And how did you hook them up? Some pictures would be awesome to see how they were installed.

I have a similar query. Mine is LS and it doesn't comes with cargo lamp. I want to install LED strip but have no idea how to control these, I mean I want to lit them only when hatch is opened. I can't find a door switch in hatch, so doubt it can be done automatically. Last option could be a manual on-off switch.

On 5/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, ChevyBeat said:

I have a similar query. Mine is LS and it doesn't comes with cargo lamp. I want to install LED strip but have no idea how to control these, I mean I want to lit them only when hatch is opened. I can't find a door switch in hatch, so doubt it can be done automatically. Last option could be a manual on-off switch.

If you want them to turn on only when the hatch opens all you need is a plunger switch and find a good spot to install it.

On 05/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, Mr.tozzi said:

If you want them to turn on only when the hatch opens all you need is a plunger switch and find a good spot to install it.

Yes, I found a spot near to hatch lock but I need to drill a hole in body to mount it. Plus, today GM India announced closure of their domestic sale in India so planning to hold all mods till getting their strategy clear for support. May be I will sell this BEAsT (spark) soon.

• 9 months later...

After few month finally got that the control switch is part of hatch lock. Now, I can make harness, except the plug which will fit to the hatch lock (though last option, I have metal pins from sealed connector which will work).

But the bigger issue if Chevy already have pre-installed harness. I found recently during fog lamp install thay they already had harness in place for fog lamp, even for LS variant.

While searching harness from hatch lock to cargo lamp, today I broken 3 clip of rear plastic trim. :thud:

Do anyone have LS variant, 2010 especially from India, who can confirm me about wiring? I really not want to waste time in making own harness, if GM have hidden required one.

• 1 year later...

I have completed the cargo lamp. Check that out in below post.

Those who have trunk light already they don't need much work as they can simply replace existing bulb with LED or if they want to put light in 2 place it's still easier.

The flexible light I used is the one sold normally as "Audi style DRL" having silicon tube outside and LED inside.

• 6 months later...

One more update. I finally added a lamp for rear seat.

I bought vw reading lamp (CN copy) and was awaiting for its connector but that lost is transit so I decided to no more 2 month wait for reorder. I used metal female pins and glued them in place. Ran the wire from both door switch in rear and through B pillar and upto the lamp. Made a rectangle cut for lamp. Added direct 12v & chassis ground till lamp from instru panel fuse box.

Why I chose the vw lamp, it's small and merging well with Spark's interior. I was thinking it have sliding action to switch between modes but it indeed have a see-saw action. But it ends well.

Couple of pics.

Lamp with wire attached

Screenshot_20191214-222750.png

Front ON

Screenshot_20191214-222949.png

Rear ON

Screenshot_20191214-222907.png

Front & rear ON

Screenshot_20191214-222935.png

Final finish

Screenshot_20191214-222813.png

Schematic I follow so the rear lamp work only when I open rear door. I had plan to add door lamps but no work done so far.

Screenshot_20191214-223533.png