Touch-up paint recommendations?

I got a small rock chip on my hood :sad: and want to touch it up. Any recommendations for touch-up paint/repair paint? Also the outside temperature is below freezing right now in where I live, can I go ahead and apply the paint, or should I wait till it gets warmer?

post-1121-0-68493400-1394037456_thumb.jp

Edited by Goldfish

You might want to try your dealership, that's where I got mine. If not, different vendors on Ebay carry touch up paints. Here is a place that has been around for years, http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Spark.html . Just don't be confused, although the color is officially called Black Granite, the actual GM color you want is Carbon Flash Metallic, they are one in the same. The color code is 58.

Can you touch up when it is freezing outside? The proper answer is no. Although i've done it in the snow, as long as it is a small chip or scratch, this paint is lacquer, and it dries in seconds.

Edited by WaltK

Ideally you want temperatures above 60 degrees, it's just a matter of how the solvents release out of the paint when it's drying. Since the car is black, all black paints look the same, and you can use any black you want and it won't stand out. However if you had a white car, and got a very similar color but not the same, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

The paint that comes on almost all cars now is a urethane based paint, and I would recommend that because lacquers can come off with some chemicals; but it's still not likely that you're gonna splash paint thinner on your car anyhow.

If you know of anyone that works at a bodyshop, ask them if you can either have an code of black paint, or if they can touch it up.

• 3 weeks later...

hood paint chips are a big problem on the Spark because of its sloped shape, the quality of the factory paint does not help either, I had a ton of them on my Salsa red. The easiest solution is to call the dealer parts department, give them the last 8 digits of your VIN, and ask for "Touch up paint". It should be around $15. Its in the pen form as aftermarket touch up paints, but it also includes a brush. The paint color is perfectly matched. Wash and dry the affected parts before applying. The paint is very runny, so you want to have plenty of paper towels to wipe off excess, and just dab it in. It works best in two or three applications, let the applied paint dry for 30 minutes between coats.

Thanks Araristic, I ended up getting a paint from online because my dealer didn't have it in stock. I still see it if I try to find it, but not too bad. Speaking of Spark being a rock magnet, I got a small crack on my windshield, too. It was small so I used Rain-X repair kit and it did ok (was a star-shaped crack but now it's a dot). I'll claim insurance if/when it totally cracks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 Spark with Color Code WA338 (Salsa Red) Has anyone found a source for the spray version of this Touch Up Paint? I found some online and with shipping they wanted $29.00 for a 11 oz can. I bought black molded splash guards and I want to paint them to match the car.

I have a 2014 Spark with Color Code WA338 (Salsa Red) Has anyone found a source for the spray version of this Touch Up Paint? I found some online and with shipping they wanted $29.00 for a 11 oz can. I bought black molded splash guards and I want to paint them to match the car.

I bought a can from here. I was going to color match my front calipers but never got around to do it yet. Remember that it is base coat and will need the proper clear from them too. It would be easier to swing by a local body shop and ask them for a quote.

I bought a can from here. I was going to color match my front calipers but never got around to do it yet. Remember that it is base coat and will need the proper clear from them too. It would be easier to swing by a local body shop and ask them for a quote.

Were you going to include a hyperlink to where you bought your touch up paint? I would like to check their prices.