What kind of milage can I expect

I've gotten 24.5 average for a tank driving like an asshole in town and 42 on a 62mph cruise. Mileage is as much about your driving as the vehicle. Lifetime average for my 5sp LS is 34.5, and I am definitely not easy on it.about 1/3 high way driving.

PS They get crap mileage above 75mph as well.

That all depends on many factors, the driver and environment determine mileage. Since I moved to the Seattle area, my commute is about a quarter what is was in TX. The speed limits are much lower here, too, and that really helps on these cars. I also drive almost all city streets now. My average is between 34-35 mpgs, mostly residental streets with speeds 30-35mph, and short hwy jaunts up to 60mph. I don't drive in heavy traffic, or run the compressor with defroster unless I really have to. I drive my car nice and easy, no jackrabbit starts, but not annoyingly slow. I also don't race to the red lights, like some people, lol.

Edited by austex04

Well, considering that I DON'T drive like "an asshole", and that when I first got the car I was averaging about 37 mpg, and it's been getting lower and lower the longer I've had it, I think there just might be a problem.

Check spark plug #4, and your oil level, you might be due for a engine change, lol. Could also be a weak coil, pulling the plugs should also tell you what the dealers won't. Weak coils often won't throw a code unless it goes out enough to cause a major missfire. Coils on plugs go out often, on all makes/models that use them, especially on Hyundais, Mazdas and Fords. You can also check the resistance of the coils with a digital ohm meter, saves the trouble of pulling the plugs.

Edited by austex04
  • 1 month later...