Malfunction indicator light

I made 6 trips (California) back to dealer for same problem which was not resolved. As my problem was AirBag issue w/light, it was a safety issue. I went to BBB auto line and filed a claim and followed the instructions which I thought you had already done. I had no attorney and BBB contacted GM customer resolution dept. , they called me within a day (twice). After finding out what I wanted to do, GM processed the claim and forwarded to their replacement vehicle department. They contacted me within a couple of days and started the process. They contacted responsible dealer and requested documentation from them. After they received they then requested new/replacement car information from dealer and then within a week, I had my new 2014 Spark and 2013 Spark was at the dealer still unrepaired. No arbitration. BBB contacted me and asked if GM and I were in agreement and I said yes----I guess this is why my case did not go to arbitration. Maybe 5 weeks after I sent documentation to BBB. I am very happy with the 2014 2LT and it is nothing like the 2013 2LT I gave back to GM dealer. I am not sure what Missouri lemon law legislation entails, but I am sure you can get off the internet. Good luck.

I think the dealer finally repaired it before returning to GM by replacing the entire wiring harness. Not sure, but that is what they were waiting for.

Edited by yuwan63755
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They do try to help, and it is good to have a presence from Chevy. In reality, it is a MAJOR step for any business to allow any employees to frequent a place like this, and even better that it seems C

Paul, I am dealing with the same issue on my 2014 Spark LS. The light came on within a week of me buying my car, but I didn't take it in right away because I assumed it might have something to do wi

Don't worry, in about 10 years they will recall all of the Chevy Sparks too.

Paul,

Here is the website for the BBB Auto Line. http://www.bbb.org/council/programs-services/dispute-handling-and-resolution/bbb-auto-line/learn-more-about-state-lemon-laws/

And their number: 800-955-5100 (M-F 9am to 5:30pm EST).

The number I called initially at GM to file a formal complaint is: 1-800-222-1020. Note that nothing was done for 2 weeks after I made my complaint through this department. Only after I filed a complaint with the BBB did GM's legal department contact me regarding my claim.

Best of luck!

So the dealer called me today after I dropped the car off and got a loaner they said GM was aware of the problem and that they think it is the pistons that keeps causing the problem and they are working on testing a fix and if it works they will release a bulletin confirming the fix procedure but my car is under a no drive order and that I will be in the loaner car until they figure it out. So I will have to wait and see what happens as this is only the third trip to the dealer and there has to be 4 or more for the same problem for the lemon law in Missouri or 30 days or more down time with the dealer so I have to give them time to try and come up with a solution. If it goes over 30 days I will have no choice but to proceed. Thanks JCinSTL for the help we will see what happens.

They are saying that the pistons have to be replaced and are testing the fix on the 10 worst cases and they will have to be test driven for a few weeks to see if the fix works. Hope they arent just blowing smoke. I wrote GM this morning in an e-mail about my issue and have not gotten a reply which doesnt surprise me at all so we will see whats up soon.

Paul,

GM just called to offer me a replacement vehicle. They are offering the full MSRP and my choice of vehicle. They recommend that I do not get another Spark.

This is good news, but a little distressing because the nearest vehicle in price is the basic model Sonic, which is $1400 more than the cost they are offering. This extra cost can't be rolled into my financing and would have to be paid upfront. I am tempted to go with another Spark just so I don't get hit with a huge bill! I'm really not sure what to do here. I left a message with the dealership, and hopefully we can work something out.

Best of luck.

JC

Don't worry, just get another Spark. You got a lemon and hopefully the replacement will be better. I am totally happy with my MSRP to MSRP swap. They are just trying to get a little money, so by mentioning not to get a Spark, they will get a larger MSRP. Don't know why they cannot roll a larger MSRP into the financing, as you will have to do the complete paperwork job once again, so you are basically getting new financing and the amount you mentioned means very little in payment.

I'd get another one, without hesitation. You got burnt, it's unfortunate that you had to go through this lousy experience, but this could happen to any car, actually happened to my father, years ago, with a Ford. What happened to you, doesn't mean that every Spark out there is going to crumble. There are tons of them running around out there, problem free. Toyota has their problems now with recalls. There are no guarantees, I may one day curse out my Spark, who knows? I will be pursuing a problematic a/c very shortly. As much as I dislike GM, you guys with the buy backs, got into new vehicles, relatively easy. If you like the car, go for it. It is totally your decision. Good luck in deciding!

Toyota just got hit with a 1.2 BILLION dollar fine for hiding facts about a recall.

Great!! All of these big manufacturers need to get kicked in the wallet, how long are they going to keep screwing the average working guy?

Paul,

GM just called to offer me a replacement vehicle. They are offering the full MSRP and my choice of vehicle. They recommend that I do not get another Spark.

This is good news, but a little distressing because the nearest vehicle in price is the basic model Sonic, which is $1400 more than the cost they are offering. This extra cost can't be rolled into my financing and would have to be paid upfront. I am tempted to go with another Spark just so I don't get hit with a huge bill! I'm really not sure what to do here. I left a message with the dealership, and hopefully we can work something out.

Best of luck.

Maybe you could find some other dealers that have discounts on Sonics, and can match the msrp swap? There has to be a Sonic out there that can be had without putting more money down. Explain the problem, maybe they can help. By mentioning not to get another Spark is evidence GM is aware these are problematic cars. So far some of us have been lucky, and have not had problems as of yet.

I think GM is trying to take this car out of the sport category which seems to be what many people use it for. It is a fun little car, but it is just basic transporation and not to be used for much more. I, like you, have had zero problems with my 2014 and I hope GM gets the issues resolved for the 2013 folks. As I mentioned before, you will have to do new paperwork for the replacement vehicle, so a few dollars more in increased MSRP will not cause the payment to increase much. Depends on what you want in a sonic and what bells and whistles your spark has. JC, remember that you get full MSRP for your spark, no matter what price you actually paid and you will have to compare to full MSRP on your replacement vehicle----No negotiations and No discounts, so if you can get something close in MSRP's, then it should not hurt the payments much.

Edited by yuwan63755

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have decided to go with another Spark. If this one turns out bad too, then I'll switch to a different car, but I hope that won't be the case. I bought the Spark for a reason initially, so lets hope it works out this time!

JC, I think you made a good choice. I had a lemon with my original spark 2013 and I know how you feel. I decided to go with another Spark as well and it has worked out fine for me, as I am sure it will for you. These cars are sold worldwide and the USA model is far superior to the other country's Sparks'. Enjoy your new Spark and hopefully it will treat you well.

I am posting this for my wife who bought a 2014 Spark 1LT earlier this month. She drove off the lot with 5 miles on it and about 4-5 days later the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealership and it was P0324 Engine Knock Sensor Malfunction or something along those line came up. They said to check the gas cap. Did that. ( I thought that it would have been more an EVAP code for a gas cap). It stayed on. Took it in and they cleared the code and tightened the gas cap too. Took it back and they had it for about a week to replace the engine knock sensor. We got it back on Wednesday this week. Today is Friday. Yup the light is on again! Has anyone had any resolution besides replacing the vehicle?

Greg

Edited by amm3978

This anomaly is developing a pattern, that is whacking some of the '14's, right out of the door. I thought it an unfortunate coincidence that Paul, and JC, came up with this problem. This is a new problem that we didn't see on the 13's, as they are all out of the door now. It's still up in the air, but I would guess that the a/c problem still hasn't been resolved on either year, and now some of the 13's are developing the oil consumption problem. What the hell is GM doing with these cars? This is going to really start costing them $, and the consumer as well, in the grief factor.

I still believe, it is a great little car, with a lot of value, and could be a great revenue generator for GM, but they are going to have to move quickly to create some consumer confidence, or the Spark name is going to go to hell real fast!

Edited by WaltK

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have decided to go with another Spark. If this one turns out bad too, then I'll switch to a different car, but I hope that won't be the case. I bought the Spark for a reason initially, so lets hope it works out this time!

I think you made the right move, and you kept yourself in a financial comfort zone.They say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, so you're good to go. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So have been in loaner car for 2 weeks now dealer called yesterday to say that GM says it will be at least 2 or more weeks till they even have an answer for the problem so looks like I will be in this loaner for more than a month. Now just have to decide what to do about it.