Malfunction indicator light

I have a 2014 Spark Ls and only had the car like 3 days and the malfunction indicator light came on made an appointment with the dealer and they said it was a defective knock sensor and they had to order the part took about a week took the car back in they replaced the sensor and not 2 days went by and the malfuction light is on again made another appointment but wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem. The car only has 572 miles on it.

Edited by paulmarino66
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They do try to help, and it is good to have a presence from Chevy. In reality, it is a MAJOR step for any business to allow any employees to frequent a place like this, and even better that it seems C

Paul, I am dealing with the same issue on my 2014 Spark LS. The light came on within a week of me buying my car, but I didn't take it in right away because I assumed it might have something to do wi

Don't worry, in about 10 years they will recall all of the Chevy Sparks too.

Paul, these "customer care" representatives can not do any more for you than you can do yourself. Using them would be no different than asking your wife or girlfriend to make a call for a pizza, while you told her what you want on it, just for her to relay it to them. I honestly don't know why the site admins haven't rid the forum of them.

Edited by icepick

They do try to help, and it is good to have a presence from Chevy. In reality, it is a MAJOR step for any business to allow any employees to frequent a place like this, and even better that it seems Chevy has assigned these people to look in and try to help. The big problem is that these people are only allowed to do so much, but I hope they are willing to take our problems, and maybe elevate them to a higher level that is allowed to make the expensive decisions.

So in short, I think having them here is a good thing, and a small step to treating this car and its buyers as serious customers. Give it time and maybe things will grow. I'd like to see them be allowed to post service bulletins and maybe offer us some service discounts that no one else would be able to receive, eventually maybe deals on accessories and maybe even deals on new cars.

Let's see where things go before we condemn them.

I think they can be beneficial, they document your problem, supply you with a service request #, and you have a third party involved. I had an experience with one early on, and she gave it her all, to try and help me. I wouldn't discount what these girls do.

Sadly, the ones that really try the hardest seem to disappear. Not sure if they get moved up the ladder, or moved out for actually trying to help the customer. Again this isn't the support person's fault but an ongoing issue with Chevy as a company that really needs to be addressed at the highest levels since that is where most of the problems originate.

Paul,

I am dealing with the same issue on my 2014 Spark LS. The light came on within a week of me buying my car, but I didn't take it in right away because I assumed it might have something to do with the extreme cold I was driving in, and the light would go off eventually. Soon after, we had a nice warm day and the light came on. I took the car into the dealership with just about 600 miles on it. They said the knock sensor was bad and ordered a new one, which took nearly two weeks to arrive, as it was on backorder. They replaced it, and found that there is still trouble with the car. They tried many different things, but still haven't figured out what is wrong. They've now had my car over a month, with no solution in mind.

I put in a formal claim with GM asking for a new car. I have not heard back from anyone on where I am in this process, but have been in contact with the claims manager at the dealership who guarantees me that she will contact me as soon as she hears anything. So, I've been in a rental car for 5 weeks now, and am thinking that this purchase was a big mistake.

I hope things turn out better for you.

I hope that mine isnt gonna be that way with mine I mean there is no way I can go a month without my car and cant afford a rental heck im having a hard time just coming up with the money for sales tax n that I had to take a job making way less than im used to because I was laid off. Shouldnt the dealer be giving you a loaner? Man I hope things work out for you. Sad thing is I love the car just wasnt expecting to have problems with it I mean it is new. Isnt that why we buy new cars so we dont have to worry about them breaking down. Sorry to hear your having that much trouble

So took it back to the dealer on Thursday was there for 2 hours n they said it was the knock sensor again and that maybe the new one they installed last week was defective and that they of course had to order the part thats on back order also they dont know what the cause is. Thats strike 2 and the thing is I love the car but to have a brand new car that I havent even made a payment on yet do this is just stupid. I didnt even have the car 3 days when it first happened they fixed the sensor and not even 48 hours went by for it to happen again so if it happens 2 more times I will have no choice but to file a lemon claim and have them replace the car.

Paul,

GM is paying for my rental, by the way, because they never even gave my car back after replacing the knock sensor. They realized that something else was causing the problem right away and have attempted to fix it since; they even brought engineers down from Detroit, to no avail. They will have had my car for 30 working days (6 weeks) on Wednesday, so at that time if I haven't heard back about my claim to get a new car, I will proceed with the Lemon Law.

This is my first new car (really-- first new thing ever!) and I can hardly believe that this is happening. It is absurd! I hope you don't have the same issue, but it sounds like you might. Why don't you have them keep the car until they figure out a fix? They'll put you in a rental free of charge; it is in your warranty. Then at least you won't have to bring it back continuously.

Best of luck.

Paul,

I just realized that you are in O'Fallon and I'm in St. Louis! I wonder if this is an issue with Sparks received locally. Uh oh. My car is at Don Brown in the city on Kingshighway, just south of I-44. Is yours in O'Fallon? I wonder if we would have stronger cases if we collaborated in some way? Let me know...

Edited by JCinSTL

Save all your dealer receipts for past services which did not fix problem. Go online and consult BBB and fill out their online form and your will be required to send them all your documentation. No lawyer or money required. You already qualify for a replacement vehicle, so go for it. My whole process only took 30 days or so and I ended up with a 2014 with a MSRP swap. Chevrolet is very fast to respond after BBB contacts them and you will have a offer quickly. Good luck.

Edited by yuwan63755

If I were getting a buyback under lemon law, I sure wouldn't replace it with another GM brand, just becouse of the dealer network and customer service. Go to another brand, I will be as soon as I'm done with mine. Knock on wood mine is holding together for now.

yuwan63755,

Thank you for the suggestion to contact the BBB. I started the process yesterday and GM's legal department has already contacted me to move forward with my claim. The general customer service department at GM is useless for this type of claim. I contacted them 2 weeks ago and formally filed a claim, and as of yesterday, not one action had been taken. Useless.

Going legal has proven to be the only way to resolve this issue. Let's hope I can get a new car now...one that works as promised!

Beware of the BBB!!! I went through their process last year and GM agreed to replace my car, yet it never materialized! When I went to the hearing they didn't even rule that GM had to follow through on their commitment to replace the car. Read the fine print - the BBB has NO power to enforce any settlement made if GM decides to screw you as they did me. Your best bet is to go through your state attorney general since they CAN enforce any settlement made. Also be aware that if you do continue with the BBB, and it goes against you, it may effect your ability to make a claim with your state.

After I contacted BBB and they called GM dispute resolution dept. with complaint, GM dispute resolution contacted me by phone the same day that BBB called me to confirm they had contacted GM. I went to NO arbitration or anything. I worked everything out with GM dispute resolution person and they then handed it over to their GM replacement vehicle dept. After I contacted BBB for first time, the whole process was completed in about 5 weeks or so. MSRP to MSRP swap, no cost to me except increase in MSRP on vehicle I chose. GM replacement personnel will contact you and your dealer GM and it is up to them to get the paperwork to GM and they will get you the replacement vehicle and you will take delivery at your dealer. I found the vehicle for my dealer and they did dealer swap, so I did not have to order. I never contacted BBB except sending complaint and information to them on line and I think 1 time by mail. Arbitration is a entirely different thing. If you go to that, then BBB and GM and arbitrator will be involved and your success rate is probably reduced at arbitration unless your case is good and completely documented. Hope it works out well for you.

Edited by yuwan63755

My case is as clear-cut as it gets. I purchased a brand new car, drove it very little for less than 2 months, and then brought it into the dealership because the malfunction indicator light repeatedly came on. They checked it out, determined that it needed a replacement part, replaced that part and realized that it still showed the same problem. They brought tech engineers from Detroit to see if they could resolve the problem, and they could not. During this process, my car was never returned to me. I have been in a rental for over 6 weeks now. The dealership service department has admitted that they do not know what the problem is, or if it can be fixed. GM has absolutely no reason to deny my claim or not hold up its end of an agreement. If this case has to be brought to court, there is no reason whatsoever for me to believe that I would not be awarded a replacement vehicle.

Regardless of how long this process takes, I know that there is nothing for me to worry about in getting my claim resolved; I just have to be patient.

Paul,

For your sake, I hope you start this process now. Avoid the hassle of waiting for two more repairs on the same part to be considered for the Lemon Law. You can use my case as a precedent for how this will likely go for your car.

Yes, your problem would be considered a safety issue and you have been out of your car from a terribly long time, so you have met lemon law criteria over 2 issues. Good luck. GM should resolve this quickly. By the way, I am originally from Perryville (north of Cape Girardeau) and now living in Calexico, CA. Keep us updated and let me know if I can help.